5 Billion years left to live

The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking the other day that at some point the Sun will explode & life as we know it will cease to be. There will be nothing.

So i googled it just to put my mind at rest & we've only got roughly 5 billion years left :( As my mum would say before a holiday. It'll come around before you know it!

Fast forward 4.999 Billion years.

How do you solve a problem like the end of the world?

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the other day that at some point the Sun will explode & life as we know it will cease to be. There will be nothing.

So i googled it just to put my mind at rest & we've only got roughly 5 billion years left :( As my mum would say before a holiday. It'll come around before you know it!

Well by then I expect spaceships and going off planet will be as easy as catching a bus to the next town.

So by then it won't matter as evacuating the planet will be easy and a lot will likely be living on other planets for millions of years already so Earth for the most part will already be a abounded planet.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sheer logistical issues with space travel mean that the chances of the human race ever leaving the solar system are small, to say the least.

At some point the human race will die out. It's inevitable. It will probably happen way before the sun ceases to exist too.
    Forum Member
    The sheer logistical issues with space travel mean that the chances of the human race ever leaving the solar system are small, to say the least.

At some point the human race will die out. It's inevitable. It will probably happen way before the sun ceases to exist too.

Well we are on about billions of years of advancement just a few hundred years ago getting from one side of the planet to the other was thought of as impossible.

Just 100 years ago the moon was impossible and a sci fi dream.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering humans are but a mere blink of an eye in the timeframe of the solar system, past and present, I think it's arrogant to assume we'll even be around long enough for it to be an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we are on about billions of years of advancement just a few hundred years ago getting from one side of the planet to the other was thought of as impossible.

Just 100 years ago the moon was impossible and a sci fi dream.

Yes, but the underlying physics and distances involved are rather different.

It's 4.3 billion light years to the next closest star. That's a rather different proposition than transatlantic flight.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Babylon 5 - The End of the Earth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00kMW3xje0
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's 4.3 billion light years to the next closest star. That's a rather different proposition than transatlantic flight.
    Sol 93 million miles :)

Proxima Centauri 4.24 light years
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Considering humans are but a mere blink of an eye in the timeframe of the solar system, past and present, I think it's arrogant to assume we'll even be around long enough for it to be an issue.

What! are you nuts? It's a light hearted Friday afternoon thread.
    You Irenes have always been the same though :cry:
    Forum Member

It's impossible to know what speeds and advances will be made in billions of years though.

Plus if aliens do exist technology we will get from them.

But either way I doubt it will matter we will wipe ourselves out via war or something in the next few hundred years let alone billions.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The planet will have become uninhabitable long before then anyway.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What! are you nuts? It's a light hearted Friday afternoon thread.
    You Irenes have always been the same though :cry:
    You've just said that, at most, I only have 5 billion more years left to live! :o I don't call that light-hearted ! God knows what the wife'll say when I tell 'er. :(

(Irenes, I like it :D. To be fair, that's much nicer than what we call you lot. I feel bad now. :blush:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...It's impossible to know what speeds and advances will be made in billions of years though....

Agreed.

Think of the advances we have made in the last 500 years: sea travel, air travel, space travel. Who knows what we'll discover in the next 500. By then we might have already started colonising other planets in our system (well, I'll know, I plan on living that long to find out :D).

As for war, well there'll always be survivors, victors. We will survive as a species, I'm sure of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's impossible to know what speeds and advances will be made in billions of years though.

Plus if aliens do exist technology we will get from them.

But either way I doubt it will matter we will wipe ourselves out via war or something in the next few hundred years let alone billions.

True, it is impossible to know how things will advance, but there is still the matter of those pesky laws of physics to get around. We don't currently know whether FTL travel will ever be possible, whether we will ever spend the necessary money required to develop it or if there is a fuel source capable of supplying the energy needs of such an engine. This is all assuming that we don't continue to render the earth inhabitable at the same rate of knots as we currently are as well.

Travelling round the world was always theoretically possible, even if the technology wasn't ready. Travelling to another planet is not remotely in the same ballpark in terms of difficulty.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

There'll only be Bruce Forsyth left.
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 132,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I just need to correct the OP, the sun will not explode as it is not the sort of star to go supernova.

Once it stops burning hydrogen, the sun will then get hotter and expand to become a red giant engulfing all of the inner planets. Once the helium fuel runs out it will again double in size until it starts to cool (relatively) and will then shrink to a white dwarf star.

During the initial expansion period, the human race might have evolved technically to colonise some of the moons of the outer planets which by that time will be in the goldilocks zone around the new, larger and hotter sun.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

So i googled it just to put my mind at rest & we've only got roughly 5 billion years left :-( As my mum would say before a holiday. It'll come around before you know it!

Don't care, as I won't be around to see it, nor most likely the human race. Besides, the sun is unlikely to explode, as it is too small and pretty ordinary as a star, so will just turn into a red giant. No supernova in our solar system baby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    There'll only be Bruce Forsyth left.

"Nice to see me, to see me..." :D
    Forum Member
    Wait a moment if the Sun turns red does that mean Superman will lose his powers
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

True!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Babylon 5 - The End of the Earth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00kMW3xje0

Disappointing. I was hoping for some decent SFX instead I got some prattling slaphead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need to create highly intelligent robots and enslave them.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The solution is simple we build a death star and boldly go where no man has been before. Science fiction always becomes reality eventually.It's true! :D
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I think proxima centauri is a red dwarf star. It'll still be burning billions of years after the sun has used up all its energy. Dwarf stars are incredibly stable and long lasting. They'll be the last things in the universe to burn out and our best chance in my opinion.

That type of star would be ideal for some kind of orbiting base, or if we're even luckier, an ideally located terrestrial planet. Of course it'd be impossible today, but in thousands of years of advancement, I wouldn't say it'd be unreasonable to assume we could pilot a sort of ark there and perhaps continually add to it- a decades long mission as it were.

Maybe some dark matter rocket or something not even hypothesised yet. At 10% of light speed, we could make it there in under 50 years, we'd need some form of stasis, or perhaps human lifespans would have increased dramatically by then, perhaps someone will find a way to halt the aging process by then. In fact, we could possibly achieve even quicker speeds and maybe one day make it there in say, 10 years.

Once there, you'd establish an ideal orbiting radius, and then harness energy from the star itself- possibly mine any nearby planets for materials, or send further ships from Earth, establish an artificial gravity field of some sort and grow plants as a food source.

Come to think of it, I probably just watch too much sci-fi :p
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I got about 60 or so years left! that's even worse!
    I don't think humans will be around in 5 billion years!
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once the cockroaches and rats develop their own space programme, you know it is to late.:)