Do raffles always have to be for charity?

hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm well aware this isn't a life or death situation but I just wanted some opinions...

I run my own very small business, designing and hand crafting various products which I sell at craft fairs to make some money of my own as I'm now a stay at home mum.

One of my non-craft friends has suggested I pick a product to raffle at each fair, as an additional way of making some money.

Is this ok to do or are raffles/prizes always for charity/a good cause? Something doesn't sit right with me but I'm not sure why?

Comments

• cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    You can have a raffle for any reason you like, It is usually a case of it is for charity/good cause, But nothing to stop you doing it for the reasons you wish too

If the prizes are good people generally won't care
  • hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for posting! I was going to make a one-off for a local fair but wasn't sure. I guess if people don't like the idea, they don't have to enter. Thinking about it, it's just like a normal competition isn't it?
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    hopwoodl wrote: »
    Thanks so much for posting! I was going to make a one-off for a local fair but wasn't sure. I guess if people don't like the idea, they don't have to enter. Thinking about it, it's just like a normal competition isn't it?

Yeah, totally, just a normal competition. There's no reason why it should be for charity.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quick google suggests a raffle is not without any legal restrictions, chiefly that the total prize value must not exceed £250, there must be no cash prizes, and all tickets must be sold at the time and place of the raffle but there is no restriction on ticket pricing.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    The full list of when you need to register to hold a raffle is given in ;

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/gambling_sectors/lotteries/getting_a_licence-what_you__n/do_i_need_a_licence.aspx

One of the main criteria would seem to be the size of the raffle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!!! One last question then...if each item sells for £10 what price should the tickets be - 50p or £1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry. Just seen the link and it says they can't be run to make money so I guess that's that!?!?

Would a 'name the...' count I wonder?
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry. Just seen the link and it says they can't be run to make money so I guess that's that!?!?

It would seem a prize 'competition' not relying on chance would be legal.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think you could do it as a tombola rather than a raffle, don't think the same restrictions apply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    It would seem a prize 'competition' not relying on chance would be legal.

I guess any competition is based on chance though? I might do a guess the name and chance being told off.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legalities aside you also need to ask the fair organisers if you can have the raffle. One that I do states no raffles/prizes/games without permission which I think is so that they can check what you are giving away isn't conflicting with one of their promotions.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant!!! One last question then...if each item sells for £10 what price should the tickets be - 50p or £1?

50p I'd think.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [HIGHLIGHT]Red tape Britain![/HIGHLIGHT]
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think if would work really. The whole point of a raffle in my view is that you're giving money to a charity with a slim chance if winning something. I personally wouldn't buy raffle tickets just for the prize, I would have to have some affinity with the organisation.
    Forum Member
    I live in a rural area and a lot of the independent high street shops round here run raffles and tombolas, not always for charity. I've seen plenty of non-charitable raffles at local fairs too. I guess they've not heard of this legislation or, more likely, choose to ignore it.

It's such a shame that we are becoming more and more restricted as to what we can do, with all these petty laws, because a small minority of thick, lazy people are seemingly unable to spend a few seconds checking what they are buying into.
    Forum Member
    littleboo wrote: »
    I don't think if would work really. The whole point of a raffle in my view is that you're giving money to a charity with a slim chance if winning something. I personally wouldn't buy raffle tickets just for the prize, I would have to have some affinity with the organisation.

There are plenty of people, me included, who would happily buy a ticket in order to support small businesses producing high-quality, hand-crafted goods.
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    There are plenty of people, me included, who would happily buy a ticket in order to support small businesses producing high-quality, hand-crafted goods.

Same here. I wish there were more people like the OP. People who are prepared to earn a living.
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »

I also happily support small business, by buying their products.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends on if the main reason for the "raffle" is as a marketing event to publicise your business or as a way of making money.

There's nothing wrong with a raffle to make money - go to any airport and there's always someone doing a "win a Ferrari" competition but it may not help your standing as a small business in the community. You'd probably get a better response if you said the proceeds (or a percentage of them) went to a local charity.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Hmm as a printer we do a lot of "raffle tickets" there's basically 2 types the first is like a "cloak room" ticket with just a number on it, I have no experience in that type so can't comment on the legalities.

The second is a printed ticket, with stub etc. It will list the prizes or at least the first 5 or so, it will be numbered in 2 places once on the main ticket and once on the stub. The most important information is this, it must list who is going to benefit from the money, the place where it's going to be draw and the time/date. It must also show the Organizer, the printer and must indicate that the raffle organizer is licensed by either the local council, or registered under the gaming act.