Options

Child Maintenance Payments

NE5NE5 Posts: 555
Forum Member
✭✭
stop when the child is 20, according to the website. Unless they stay on at University, but what about continuing at college ? NOT university.

https://www.gov.uk/when-child-maintenance-payments-stop

"Child maintenance payments usually stop when the child reaches 16 (or 20 if they’re in full-time education not higher than A-level or equivalent). But there are some situations in which they’ll stop sooner."

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh. Let me get my bowl of popcorn.

*waits for jra to turn up*

Seriously though, my mum stopped paying child maintenance on my 18th birthday as agreed between her and my dad. I have heard some parents stopped on 16th birthday, the day the child completed their secondary education, or the end of the first year at college or university.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they reach 20 they are definitely no longer a child!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been happy enough to support etc while she was at college and hoping to get to uni. But it now looks like she isn't going to get a place due to grades etc, I would have stopped direct support but helped her through university instead if she had got a place.

She is 20 at the end of the year but talking about trying again at college. I don't really see why I should carry on paying her mother money, particularly if she now MUST sign on the dole or whatever happens now she is not going to university....which I suppose is the real question. What does she do now at this age ?
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NE5 wrote: »
    I've been happy enough to support etc while she was at college and hoping to get to uni. But it now looks like she isn't going to get a place due to grades etc, I would have stopped direct support but helped her through university instead if she had got a place.

She is 20 at the end of the year but talking about trying again at college. I don't really see why I should carry on paying her mother money, particularly if she now MUST sign on the dole or whatever happens now she is not going to university....which I suppose is the real question. What does she do now at this age ?

You are under no obligation to pay her mother money any more. The maintenance money (if you still are bound by it) can go direct to your daughter or the education establishment I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    You are under no obligation to pay her mother money any more. The maintenance money (if you still are bound by it) can go direct to your daughter or the education establishment I think.

I'm not bound by anything once she is 20, anything I do will be voluntary. If she chooses to go to college again, does she have to sign on now, the alternative being if she goes to uni she gets a grant ?
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex stopped paying for our son when he passed his 15th birthday. He was supposed to pay until he was 18 or finished full time education. Ex claimed he'd thought it was 16 & thought that our son was a year older.

Mind you he used every excuse under the sun for cancelling the direct debits throughout the years & probably owed me thousands by the time he decided he wasn't going to pay any more.

I know of someone who is still paying child maintenance for his daughter who is 22 this year & finished her education at 18. It's his choice to keep paying for his daughter & he's never missed a payment or ever been asked to continue. She is now pregnant & he's still paying. He's not been a perfect dad to his daughter in most ways, but financially he's gone above & beyond what's expected
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I pay maintenance to my daughter, but I know it is a real bone of contention with my wife that a person should be legally obliged to support their children well into adulthood.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ex stopped paying for our son when he passed his 15th birthday. He was supposed to pay until he was 18 or finished full time education. Ex claimed he'd thought it was 16 & thought that our son was a year older.

Mind you he used every excuse under the sun for cancelling the direct debits throughout the years & probably owed me thousands by the time he decided he wasn't going to pay any more.

I know of someone who is still paying child maintenance for his daughter who is 22 this year & finished her education at 18. It's his choice to keep paying for his daughter & he's never missed a payment or ever been asked to continue. She is now pregnant & he's still paying. He's not been a perfect dad to his daughter in most ways, but financially he's gone above & beyond what's expected.
    NG........i'd say way above and beyond! In fact he's financing her lifestyle. Not a very clever idea unless he's super mega wealthy with a bottomless pit of money and even then it's not good.

What's she going to do when she suddenly has to stand on her own feet? :confused:
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    NG........i'd say way above and beyond! In fact he's financing her lifestyle. Not a very clever idea unless he's super mega wealthy with a bottomless pit of money and even then it's not good.

What's she going to do when she suddenly has to stand on her own feet? :confused:

He's not wealthy, she's his only child & I think he's still paying out of guilt for not being there as she grew up & her basically never seeing him (he's always just posted the money through the door & never spent any time with her at all since the day he left when she was a little girl). It's his way of trying to make it up to her.

She does stand on her own feet, she was working (albeit a part time job as that's all she could get) until last week, her mother says that her dad's maintenance payments pays for her rent so she doesn't see the money herself except in the respect that it helps her mother & benefits her in that way.

I really think that when she eventually gets her own place, he'll just post the money through her new door instead, but hopefully he'll take the time to get to know & have a relationship with his grandchild when it's born.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I think it's fair to contribute until they leave full time education.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've took the view that as the divorce was amicable, I've supported her until she went to university and lived at home. Then she lives away and gets a grant. It hasn't been through the CSA but I've sent a cheque every month and it has been at what the CSA would have made me pay.

But now, if she doesn't get to university, and is 20, and should be looking for a job or going to college and is entitled to money from the state, it becomes her choice. You can't pay forever. Doing this at 20 is a bit ridiculous anyway . I'm not forcing her to do anything, I hoped she would have got a place and I would have helped her but either way those payments stop when she is 20 because she surely must be getting something from the govt instead of me sending money like this.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've took the view that as the divorce was amicable, I've supported her until she went to university and lived at home. Then she lives away and gets a grant. It hasn't been through the CSA but I've sent a cheque every month and it has been at what the CSA would have made me pay. <snipped for space>

You needn't to feel guilty for stopping child maintenance. It doesn't affect your role as a father. What you could do is let CSA, daughter and her mother know that you'll stop paying in, say, three or six months' time. That will give them time to sort out their own financial situations.

At 20, your daughter should know enough to apply for financial assistance if she does need it. Offer your help and support in finding information and such. There are many ways you can support her without involving money.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex has paid not a penny ever for the 11 and 13 year olds. Their stepdad supports them (on minimum wage). Ex is loaded. (Just got back yet again from holiday in New York followed by another holiday in France). He already had a London flat, inherited several times - but is nuts so got Incapacity Benefit which apparently means they are liable to pay £0. (Although oddly when going for residency of the kids he told the Family Courts he was totally sane - so has perjured himself somewhere or other....)

My kids regard their stepdad as 'dad' needless to say.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this more about parents helping their sons/daughters out throughout life and vice versa?

Once I got a well paying job I helped my mum out all I could, and she would do the same for me again in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    i dont get or ask for maintainance for my son iy just seemed more important he sees his dad
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've took the view that as the divorce was amicable, I've supported her until she went to university and lived at home. Then she lives away and gets a grant. It hasn't been through the CSA but I've sent a cheque every month and it has been at what the CSA would have made me pay.

But now, if she doesn't get to university, and is 20, and should be looking for a job or going to college and is entitled to money from the state, it becomes her choice. You can't pay forever. Doing this at 20 is a bit ridiculous anyway . I'm not forcing her to do anything, I hoped she would have got a place and I would have helped her but either way those payments stop when she is 20 because she surely must be getting something from the govt instead of me sending money like this.
    BIB is exactly right......after all it is child maintenance and not adult maintenance!

You've done your bit......now it's her turn to learn to stand on her own feet otherwise she won't ever make anything of herself. It's a hard world out there and there has to come a time when a parent stops holding the 'childs' hand.

shmisk wrote: »
    i dont get or ask for maintainance for my son it just seemed more important he sees his dad
    You form a unique yet admirable, minority.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These days with it so hard to get on the housing ladder, a lot of kids will still be with the parent who got residency, well into their 20s.

Parents with residency/families that don't split up, have to support their child, however they need it, even further into young adulthood so I don't see why the non resident parent, in these situations, shouldn't be compelled to contribute it necessary as it is not a matter of choice for the parent with whom the child has grown up...

I have never got how my ex could make that decision not to support his kids financially in any way (his excuse always was he wouldn't give them money because I'd spend it - which is pathetic) - and how the state allows him to continue to get away with it. But then you reap what you sow, as the children are now old enough to have figured out that he pays nothing, and does nothing for them - and they have already said they want no contact with him when they turn 16. Kids who are unsupported by the non resident parent can and will reach their own conclusions.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    BIB is exactly right......after all it is child maintenance and not adult maintenance!

You've done your bit......now it's her turn to learn to stand on her own feet otherwise she won't ever make anything of herself. It's a hard world out there and there has to come a time when a parent stops holding the 'childs' hand.

You form a unique yet admirable, minority.

Thanks! I just think it's normal though. Prescence more important then cash!

It's been me and he since he was 2- so ten years.
    If I was desperate I could ask but equally don't want my ex skint and unable to cole cause of me being needy.

Works for us. Might not for others.
  • Options
    Kris77Kris77 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    20 is ridiculous. It's just another way to get more money out of us. It should stop at 18, end of story
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive posted this before from this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1940692&highlight=child+support

I have four children that all live with the ex wife and her partner and their child that they have together down on the coast (about 2 and half hours drive) while I am in London

I pay 495 a month in Child support payments plus her train fare when she brings the kids to London and I also cover my costs for taking them home (and obviously I pay for feeding them and "entertainment" when they are up in London with me )

now to the crux of my question

my Ex asks me for additional financial support and this I do begrudge (EG she has asked me for £500 extra for my eldest's prom this year)

now the only reason I begrudge it is because of the personal "sacrifices" (I don't like using that word as its for my kids and id cut my arm off for them but I cant think of a better word)

I have sold my car which the proceeds went to help the ex buy a car, I have had to move back to my fathers as I couldn't afford to run my one bed flat and he now needs a little help so was kind of killing two birds with one stone and also I would have some spare cash to "live my life a little " (which I don't think is unreasonable as I work 50 hour weeks) but now I'm back at my dads the requests for extra financial help are becoming more frequent as and I quote her "more spare cash"

I realise bringing up five kids is expensive work and I don't envy it but is there a time to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough and there will be no extra financial help (as I really cant afford it at the moment whilst I earn a fairly decent wage it isn't exactly a lot either

I guess I just need to see what the general consensus is?

should I throw in with extra money ? should I say the CSA says its 495 and that's all you're getting ? or what ?

all the prom stuf got sorted by the way ;)

but this is my issue with the CSA its an arbitrary percentage of your wage with no consideration of someone's personal circumstances (I do realise that people will lie to get out of paying it but unless you can produce proof of debts/bills/etc then you should pay the full amount )

but I don't think its right that I was practically "forced into poverty" without some leeway/consideration

ill just end up waiting for the csa to contact me and let me know when I stop paying for the kids and when I do I will set up a bank account for each individual child (away from the one their mum has set up)
  • Options
    Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    It's only 20 if they're still at school/college ie A level equivalent. I'm guessing this allows for students who are a year behind due to failing/retaking a year etc. So basically, it normally stops the August/September after their 16th (leave school) or 18th (leave sixth form) birthday. There's no bl00dy way my other half is paying his ex until all his kids are 20!!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother-in-law stopped paying maintenance to his ex-wife when their daughter finished her A levels at 18. He then helped support the daughter through Uni but paid what he termed an allowance straight to the daughter.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Sorry, am I missing something here?

Does being an absent parent take away all parental responsibility at a particular age? Surely a child is part of the parent for as long as they live, not just to some arbitrary date when they don't need financial help?

Does this mean that a married couple with children can cut them off financially at 20? :confused:
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does being an absent parent take away all parental responsibility at a particular age? Surely a child is part of the parent for as long as they live, not just to some arbitrary date when they don't need financial help?

Does this mean that a married couple with children can cut them off financially at 20? :confused:

Yes at that age they should be self sufficient. If the parents wish to contribute then that is up to them but they should be under no obligation to support them financially.

I was self sufficient through A levels and Uni because my parents couldn't afford to support me and I wouldn't have expected them to.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Whether they should cut them off financially is a matter for the family alone, but yes, you can at the age of 20, and in my opinion ought to be able to legally dissolve your legal financial responsibility to another person when they reach the age where the law deems them in other areas to be an adult.