Trust me – Channel Five are very happy with CBB8 because they SLASHED the budget

madeinliverpoolmadeinliverpool Posts: 86
Forum Member
I read in the Guardian it cost £6,000,000 to make BB on Channel 4. I struggle to think of how Channel Five could end up spending more than £3,000,000 on the CBB8 and BB12.

First CBB8's "celebrities". Thinking about it Kerry, Amy, Jedward et al couldn’t have cost Channel Five/Desmond/Endemol more than 500K altogether. Remember how big a deal it was Ulrika getting a 175K fee? I’d say Jedward got about that – not the million the press speculated. And they would have definetely got the biggest payday, with Kerry next at - I'd say - 100K.

And the house! The CBB8/BB12 house makes the BB11 house look like a feature film set. And with the absence of Davina there’s no longer a drum up a million pounds for her. If they’re paying the ex-BB housemate whose biggest gig was Cirque de Celebrite series two more than a twentieth of what they paid her, they’re mad!

Richard Desmond is notoriously tight with money – and that trait is more than evident in his latest pet project. Therefore I think that considering the halving of the budget (at least) Channel Five are very happy about the viewing figures.

Do people agree? Or, on the other hand, do you think things have been upped from the way they were on Channel 4? And does a lower production budget excuse lower ratings (even if you take the tack that Endemol actually make the show Desmond could still give them far less than money than 4 did to ACTUALLY make it).

Comments

• TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    I read in the Guardian it cost £6,000,000 to make BB on Channel 4. I struggle to think of how Channel Five could end up spending more than £3,000,000 on the CBB8 and BB12.

First CBB8's "celebrities". Thinking about it Kerry, Amy, Jedward et al couldn’t have cost Channel Five/Desmond/Endemol more than 500K altogether. Remember how big a deal it was Ulrika getting a 175K fee? I’d say Jedward got about that – not the million the press speculated. And they would have definetely got the biggest payday, with Kerry next at - I'd say - 100K.

And the house! The CBB8/BB12 house makes the BB11 house look like a feature film set. And with the absence of Davina there’s no longer a drum up a million pounds for her. If they’re paying the ex-BB housemate whose biggest gig was Cirque de Celebrite series two more than a twentieth of what they paid her, they’re mad!

Richard Desmond is notoriously tight with money – and that trait is more than evident in his latest pet project. Therefore I think that considering the halving of the budget (at least) Channel Five are very happy about the viewing figures.

Do people agree? Or, on the other hand, do you think things have been upped from the way they were on Channel 4? And does a lower production budget excuse lower ratings (even if you take the tack that Endemol actually make the show Desmond could still give them far less than money than 4 did to ACTUALLY make it).

Even Sally got £100k, so those numbers for the celebrity fees are a bit off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally got 100k so I would say what jedward , Kerry etc are reported to have got is correct , however they were quite cost effective paying for 11 celebs and using one for normal bb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,538
    Forum Member
    We dont care how much money they saved.
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Sally got £100k, so those numbers for the celebrity fees are a bit off.

I read sally got 160k! giving a hundred to charity the rest between herself and her agent!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're speculating a lot OP.

I don't think we can know until we're given some actual figures.
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports suggest Jedward got 500k apiece.

Sally received 50k for herself and 100k for charity which she mentioned a lot.
  • ScenciaScencia Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    You're speculating a lot OP.

I don't think we can know until we're given some actual figures.

An incredible amount of speculation and a lot of if's.
    Considering the Title of the thread i was expecting some hard facts.
    So to answer the OP and the their thread title - No, i dont trust you.
  • madeinliverpoolmadeinliverpool Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Scencia wrote: »
    An incredible amount of speculation and a lot of if's.
    Considering the Title of the thread i was expecting some hard facts.
    So to answer the OP and the their thread title - No, i dont trust you.

Did the presence of Davina not cost a million pounds? Would Brian not cost a lot less?
    Does the CBB8/BB12 house look cheap compared to the BB11 house?
    How do we know Sally was the minimum with her 100K+ fee - perhaps she argued she needed extra in case doing the show proved too big a risk?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    kimmyangel wrote: »
    Sally got 100k so I would say what jedward , Kerry etc are reported to have got is correct , however they were quite cost effective paying for 11 celebs and using one for normal bb.

To be fair Sally said she'd raised £100k for her charity not she had been paid £100k by Channel 5. It could be that she gained sponsorship from others for going in the house.

I would suspect she was paid far less than that for going in.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I wonder how much Pamela Anderson is getting? Would have preferred her in CBB, since she's you know, a Celebrity. Maybe Bobby could have been relegated to the regular series to accomodate her considering he's not a celebrity.
  • pondie84pondie84 Posts: 11,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an incredible waste of money. I can't see how anyone can justify giving people that amount of money for basically agreeing to get filmed sitting in a house all day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Richard Desmond tied them all into magazine deals for during and after the show as part of the contract. He probably got himself a bargain this, we were the ones ripped off :mad:
  • glowboyglowboy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    pondie84 wrote: »
    What an incredible waste of money. I can't see how anyone can justify giving people that amount of money for basically agreeing to get filmed sitting in a house all day.

Crazy isn't it.

It's incredible that even minor celebs can make an absolute fortune through magazine deals and reality shows. Paid hundreds of thousands for doing virtually nothing.

Is it any wonder they are so desperate to keep hold of some sort of fame or notoriety.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Desmond has a history of 'cutting budgets to the bone' in all the businesses he runs. Anyone who's read The Star,Express or 'OK' knows that that results in a woeful crap product.:rolleyes:
    To hear he's done the same with 'CBB' is no surprise at all as we've just seen for the last 3 weeks.:sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Channel Five are very happy with CBB8 because they SLASHED the budget'

...and the number of viewers! They must be so proud!
  • GracelandGraceland Posts: 8,158
    Forum Member
    pondie84 wrote: »

Neither can I.
  • GracelandGraceland Posts: 8,158
    Forum Member
    'Channel Five are very happy with CBB8 because they SLASHED the budget'

...and the number of viewers! They must be so proud!

I have a feeling they will be lot more..........................
    You have to put money in to make money.
    I was`nt that impressed with the house to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They get paid so much because they're special people.
  • pondie84pondie84 Posts: 11,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graceland wrote: »
    I was`nt that impressed with the house to be honest.

It was very simple and cheap looking. The only thing that stopped it from being the worst house ever was the truly awful BB10 house.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Richard Desmond tied them all into magazine deals for during and after the show as part of the contract. He probably got himself a bargain this, we were the ones ripped off :mad:

I think channel 5 almost got the result they wanted with Paddy being the anomaly. The positions the HMs finished in is in proportion to the amount of coverage they were given on the HL show.

So if we take Paddy out of the equation:

Kerry and Jedward came 1st + 2nd and were featured most on the HL show.

Amy and Lucien came 3rd + 4th and were featured second most on the HL show.

Darryn came 5th, didn't get too much airtime but did get some. (in theory Paddy should have come either just above or below Darryn)

Bobby came 6th, wasn't featured at all on the HL show.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Does the CBB8/BB12 house look cheap compared to the BB11 house?

No the house was bigger and imo a lot better.