Options

Masterchef 2013

Comments

• Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the final programme last night.
    The cameras were on John Torode as he said who'd won. That meant we missed the instant reaction from Natalie when she heard her name being read out. Sloppy editing of the programme. Im sure they would have enough footage from the other camera angle so we could hear but not see John as he makes the announcement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GodAtum wrote: »
    Rewatched the final, nat was the only one at the contestant life stories that did not have any negatives.
    Loved dales "I would love to put my love of food into a business". Doesnt he know what a restaurant is?

How do they mke sure the food is served hot? Especially with the guy whos last up?

I assume the food is kept under a heat lamp or on a ceramic hot plate.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member

A chef of imperious ability as well as being exceptionally good on TV.

Love it.

Sadly I think he has better things to do than appear with the pointy-head oik.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should have gotten Michel Roux Jr in again, if possible. A chef of imperious ability as well as being exceptionally good on TV.

Anyone but Roux Jr. I like him, but he's way too biased. He tends to favour anyone who's classically trained. He also doesn't seem to like anyone experimenting with classic French or Italian dishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Greg actually a chef ?

If he is, why have we never seen him cook ? :confused:

I don't know if he'd worked as a chef, but he had cooked quite a few gorgeous-looking dishes on various food programmes. Especially on that series on reviving/celebrating some neglected British ingredients.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I don't know if he'd worked as a chef, but he had cooked quite a few gorgeous-looking dishes on various food programmes. Especially on that series on reviving/celebrating some neglected British ingredients.

He really is not a chef or even a good cook.

Any one of us could cook his dishes. He'd be a fool if he hadn't picked up tips over the years. If he'd get his own restaurants some good reviews I might find some respect for him.

As it is he's milking it all for he can get before the balloon bursts.

I don't understand why people are fooled by him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone but Roux Jr. I like him, but he's way too biased. He tends to favour anyone who's classically trained. He also doesn't seem to like anyone experimenting with classic French or Italian dishes.

Did you watch 'Michel Roux's Service'?

One of the most enjoyable series ever and one of the reasons he's so loved on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    Did you watch 'Michel Roux's Service'?

One of the most enjoyable series ever and one of the reasons he's so loved on here.

No, I haven't seen that. I based my comment on Masterchef, Food & Drink, Master Classes, etc. He's a nice bloke and all, but I'd like a change. I'm bored with all in the current MC crew , actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He really is not a chef or even a good cook.

Any one of us could cook his dishes. He'd be a fool if he hadn't picked up tips over the years. If he'd get his own restaurants some good reviews I might find some respect for him.

As it is he's milking it all for he can get before the balloon bursts.

I don't understand why people are fooled by him.

There's nothing to fool about. He's never put himself across as a chef or such. He's usually put himself across as a grocer who's into dining with a love for puddings. He's what we all are on this board: a foodie. Except he gets a chance to taste those dishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I haven't seen that. I based my comment on Masterchef, Food & Drink, Master Classes, etc. He's a nice bloke and all, but I'd like a change. I'm bored with all in the current MC crew , actually.

Fair enough and perhaps you're more interested in food and cooking than I am. I've been lucky and in my job ate at some Michelin restaurants in South of France (on expenses of course).

The food and presentation was outside of my experience and on the whole I enjoyed it but my preference was elsewhere, where they wood-cooked and you only had to choose the meat. No choice on the array of starters and puds.

(For anyone who might know it, it was halfway up the hill from Cannes harbour, built into a cave.).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's nothing to fool about. He's never put himself across as a chef or such. He's usually put himself across as a grocer who's into dining with a love for puddings. He's what we all are on this board: a foodie. Except he gets a chance to taste those dishes.

OK. You like him. I don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

... He is also a restauranteur though. However both his establishments have quite poor reviews even for rudimentary dishes.

I cook at home and enjoy cooking different things, I enjoy varied and fresh produce, however I don't own two dining establishments.

So no, not quite the same as the majority of us. He has put his money where his mouth is and the results are apparently bland or awful. At least Torode's places have generally good reviews even if some think he loves his salt too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK. You like him. I don't.

Actually, you're wrong. I'm generally indifferent to him. As a judge, he has his strengths and flaws. Some of his opinions made sense and some didn't. He's just a cog of the MC machine, just like others are. That's about it for me.

I've watched Masterchef, on and off, since its beginning and I was never bothered that Loyd Grossman wasn't a chef or restaurant owner. He wasn't even a restaurant critic at the time. Yet that didn't stop him judging MC dishes for at least a decade.

As far as I'm concerned, Wallace is continuing that MC tradition. That's why I'm not bothered. I'd like him replaced by someone new with a similar background, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, you're wrong. I'm generally indifferent to him. As a judge, he has his strengths and flaws. Some of his opinions made sense and some didn't. He's just a cog of the MC machine, just like others are. That's about it for me.

I've watched Masterchef, on and off, since its beginning and I was never bothered that Loyd Grossman wasn't a chef or restaurant owner. He wasn't even a restaurant critic at the time. Yet that didn't stop him judging MC dishes for at least a decade.

As far as I'm concerned, Wallace is continuing that MC tradition. That's why I'm not bothered. I'd like him replaced by someone new with a similar background, though.

:) I like your reply and I take your point about Loyd Grossman. I suspect that we'll see Greg's products on the supermarket shelves eventually. I first saw Paul Newman's salad dressings on my first visit to California and for the one and only time, a lightbulb went off in my head and I wanted to import.

Edit. But it was initially very trivial fill-in stuff.
    Edit again. I mean Grossman not you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Oh my god, an actual comment about the food... refreshing

Barbra wrote: »
    I think Larkin's main course is too stodgy. While the glutinous rice in lotus leaves works well with dim sum, plain steamed jasmine rice would have soaked up the richness from the bbq meat creating a more balanced dish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cashew wrote: »
    Oh my god, an actual comment about the food... refreshing

All we can do is watch and imagine.

I hate nuts. So often they garnish with almonds or hazlenuts.

Why?

I hate nuts and won't eat food garnished with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All we can do is watch and imagine.

I hate nuts. So often they garnish with almonds or hazlenuts.

Why?

I hate nuts and won't eat food garnished with them.

Depends on the cuisine, I do enjoy the occasional cashew in an Asian recipe.

I think it's more for texture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Depends on the cuisine, I do enjoy the occasional cashew in an Asian recipe.

I think it's more for texture.

Yes Declan. I can munch on peanuts and cashews with my wine but I don't want to be surprised in my food. Aren't we funny?

Edit. That looks sarcastic and wasn't meant to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Declan. I can munch on peanuts and cashews with my wine but I don't want to be surprised in my food. Aren't we funny?

Edit. That looks sarcastic and wasn't meant to be.

I think it's the whole emphasis on fusion cuisine. I do feel at times sometimes they clearly overshoot the intended goal to try impress even if it is to the detriment of the dish. That's been quite obvious in the last 6 series where there have been young chefs cooking out of their comfort zones and producing unpalatable messes as a result.

I did some maple syrup bacon and crushed walnuts to compliment my brussel sprouts at Christmas and found it a very tasty mix but I agree that nuts are not to be thrown around if they are not required. Pardon the innuendo.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably get criticized for saying this but I hope Natalie gets her teeth whitened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's the whole emphasis on fusion cuisine. I do feel at times sometimes they clearly overshoot the intended goal to try impress even if it is to the detriment of the dish. That's been quite obvious in the last 6 series where there have been young chefs cooking out of their comfort zones and producing unpalatable messes as a result.

I did some maple syrup bacon and crushed walnuts to compliment my brussel sprouts at Christmas and found it a very tasty mix but I agree that nuts are not to be thrown around if they are not required. Pardon the innuendo.

Simply YES.

If you're happy to cook everyone is happy to leave or discard.

If it has nuts...discard. Why put nuts in everything?
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This "we" is not, thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    fabulous finalists and my money was on Natalie all the way, tho I loved Larkin! I like Greg, he comes across as a nice bloke - he was a greengrocer or something I think? (I'll stand correcting). I don't like nuts either, in fact I doubt I could eat anything they produce as I don't like any seafood either! Give me good old roast beef (minus blood!) and Yorkshire pud! But I love to watch what other folk produce!
  • Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Good series but they really need to revamp the challenges and have more suprises

Its the same formula each year

and i'd like to proper scoring in each round and challenge
  • Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Larkin's chinese food was the most appealing to me. i was salivating