HP Printer Problem

LilaLila Posts: 6,780
Forum Member
I have a HP Deskjet 3050 J610 printer - it is going trough the motions of printing documents but producing blank pages. I have tried test prints which are coming out ok and gone through all the troubleshooting tools but they are all coming back there is no problem and the ink levels are ok too. Any suggestions how to fix this? Thanks :)

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try going here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4066452&

and download new drivers for the printer and install them. If that has no effect report back. But it is a first step to curing the issue.
  • LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    I forgot to put in my original post I had already done this also with no success. Thankyou :)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lila wrote: »
    I have a HP Deskjet 3050 J610 printer - it is going trough the motions of printing documents but producing blank pages. I have tried test prints which are coming out ok and gone through all the troubleshooting tools but they are all coming back there is no problem and the ink levels are ok too. Any suggestions how to fix this? Thanks :)
    Is it doing this in all applications? Can you try printing something very different, like a photo?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the softwares installed can you scan in a page? will prove the USB links working ok as sometimes its a trial and error approach to working through the possibles until we find the solution (or just throw the thing in the bin swearing :p )
    Forum Member
    It scans okay but again will not print. It won't print in any format at all - except the test prints - v frustrating last night as was required urgently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    least we ruled out a dodgy usb port/cable so we know the problem is down to the printer side...might be daft but is the paper set to A4 in the software and the trays nice and tight to A4 as it used to be that if you had letter (default us style) selected and there was A4 in the machine it would sit there till the end of time waiting for you to ok it
    Forum Member
    Yep all that's been checked - it goes through the motions and you can figure out its going back and forward in accordance of what it should be printing but comes out blank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you said you tried installing the drivers again did you completely remove the old ones or just let the new driver installer overwrite the old ones?

If you didn't completely remove the old drivers then I would be tempted to do so. Along with every thing else HP related. Go through your hard drive and clean out any orphaned files/folders left behind.

Then re-install everything from scratch again. That is often the only way to solve some of these problems. Hit it with a big hammer and show it who's boss :D
    Forum Member
    Yep it was removed then shut down to complete then reinstalled - as for any files to do with HP there aren't any - I don't download any optional extras as don't use them. The only extra is the HP Print/Scan Doctor which was downloaded afterwards - beginning to think it's just a goner lol :)It's only just under 2 years old and lucky if it's been used a dozen times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Hi Lila,
    Phone HP customer services. If this printer has a problem it would still be under guarantee on Mainland Europe - it's worth a try!
    Hope it works out for you.

By the way, have you tried printing something from a completely different laptop? Use a USB cable if you can.

Oh, and may I suggest you buy yourself a second printer ( maybe an older second hand one ) just for the emergency use ( you'll probably find that the ink is cheaper too - especially if you get something like the HP 930 as you can get the really cheap ink fillers and it will only mix the black if the black cartridge runs out!)
    I have my own business and have given up with having just one printer, as they normally decide to strike at the time you can't afford it!
    Forum Member
    Thankyou, Benschita :) Think for all it cost I will just admit defeat and look out for a bargain over next few weeks lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lend the printer to a friend for a few mins to use on their machine and see if it works properly...miss the days of just doing a dir > lpt1: to see if it was the link or a driver problem
    Forum Member
    I will do before I dispose of it for good :)
    Forum Member
    Lila wrote: »
    Thankyou, Benschita :) Think for all it cost I will just admit defeat and look out for a bargain over next few weeks lol.

Before you buy the next printer, check out the cost of the cartridges. Don't buy a cheap printer and then find they make their money on the cartridges. :o
    Don't throw the old one away either - use it as a scanner and just buy a printer with no other frills.
    It's usually the complicated software that makes these problems in the first place!
    Like I said in the previous post, try someone else's laptop out with a USB. It could be the printer lead or a conflict with other software on your computer.
    AND I WOULD STILL RING HP !!!!!!

0844 369 0369 ( 5p a min )
    If you still have the receipt and it"s less than 2 years ago I would try the European Law card !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benschita wrote: »
    If you still have the receipt and it"s less than 2 years ago I would try the European Law card !!!
    What European Law Card would that be? Presumably the non existent 2 year guarantee that some people believe is enshrined in EU law?

If you read the actual legislation there is no mention anywhere in it that anyone has to offer any sort of guarantee at all, much less a compulsory 2 year one. It does however say that any guarantee provided must comply with certain requirements, but duration is not one of them.

The legislation is in fact very similar to the pre-existing UK Sale of Goods act which gives superior protection from faulty goods.
    Forum Member
    The first year, the guarantee is covered by the firm where you bought it and the second year is covered by the manufacturer!
    That is unless the UK has "special rules".
    The 2 year guarantee exsists and functions in the rest of Europe!
    I would definitely try phoning HP. If the printer was bought in GB and you then moved to Germany you would definitely have the 2 years!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benschita wrote: »
    The first year, the guarantee is covered by the firm where you bought it and the second year is covered by the manufacturer!
    That is unless the UK has "special rules".
    The 2 year guarantee exsists and functions in the rest of Europe!
    I would definitely try phoning HP. If the printer was bought in GB and you then moved to Germany you would definitely have the 2 years!
    There is no statutory 2 year guarantee anywhere in the EU. If manufacturers choose to offer on that is entirely up to them. Read the actual legislation I linked to above.

The UK has the Sale of Goods Act which pre-dated the EU legislation and actually offers better protection as it gives consumers 6 years (5 in Scotland) to make a claim under the act. But that is not the same as a 6 year guarantee any more than the EU legislation is a 2 year guarantee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Your black ink cartridge is probably empty.
    Forum Member
    Thankyou for the replies.

When we bought the printer on offer we checked the prices and at the time the ink cartridges prices weren't too bad compared to others - also the ink levels in both are still quite high - i'm not that silly not to have checked :P. We don't have a receipt cos my OH chucked it even though he was told not to. At this time of year and with work have a lot to do so I will go back to it in the New Year when have a bit more time - doubt it will be needed for a while now anyway. Was my boss that got me in a flap cos she never did her job properly when I needed to use it. Thanks guys :)