How many books do you abandon?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
Forum Member
I don't know about you, but a book has to really grip me from the start if I am to read the whole thing. I am not very tolerant of a large amount of descriptive purple prose. I would say I start around 6 books a month and abandon at least half of them. Two books have really stood out to me recently as great reads from the start to the end. Those two books are 'Gods Inc.' by Sarah King and 'The Lie of You' by Jane Lythell. Gods Inc. is a racy thriller about a man who has to save his wife from a serial killer. Only problem is, he is dead. And The Lie of You is about a woman who systematically destroys the life of another woman. I am not going to list the ones I abandoned as I don't think that would be fair.

I am so grateful for my kindle. You can imagine the amount of money I wasted before ebooks came along with my intolerant attitude to slow books.

What are you like? Do you abandon many books? And if so, why?

Comments

• TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Only one and that's more of a decade-long hiatus than and abandonment. I always stick it out to the bitter end.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got less tolerant as I've got older. More than half my books are abandoned. Can't stand descriptive passages, or stilted prose.

For this reason I only read library books or car-boot ones at 4 for a quid or less. I don't know how publishers can make a living with amount of the shite they print.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Glad I'm not the only one. I was starting to think I had an attention disorder. But when I buy a book now (or a movie) and I don't care about the characters, or it's just plain boring, I don't care what rave reviews it has, or how beautifully crafted its sentences, it doesn't deserve my attention. Maybe I'm just getting craggy as I get older. :D
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read a heck of a lot of books, so I consequently abandon 'a lot' too.
    I feel that life is too short, as I get older (and older) so basically,I give
    any book the benefit of around one tenth of its overall length,to 'grab
    me' or interest me . If it fails to do so, then it gets the chop!
    But I still manage to read a lot of excellent books at the same time!
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I've had four attempts at Ulysses...:blush:
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the opposite of the OP, I rarely give up on books. I am in my mid (ahem, maybe late) 40s and the only books I can recall ever giving up on are:

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse - got about 300 pages in and flung it across the lounge, absolutely nothing was happening!

Sea Change - Robert Goddard - if this had been by any other author I might have persevered, but he is my favourite author and it was very disappointing

A book by Dean Koontz - I forget which book but it was just too gruesome and made me feel sick

A book by Maeve Binchy - as with Labyrinth nothing happened!

Picture Perfect - Jodi Picoult - the characters were completely unconvincing and I hated them, I was over halfway through when I couldn't take it any more.

So just 5 books in over 40 years - not bad going!

(I even read Lord of the Rings when I didn't like it - I was stranded abroad with no other English books!)
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely give up on a book once I've properly started reading it, but I reject plenty of books based on what I see when having a look inside them in a bookshop or on Amazon.

For example, I rejected Wolf Hall once I saw it was written in that odd, 3rd person, "he, he, he" style and after looking at some pages at random; but if I ever sit down with a copy I own and start reading, I'll most likely keep going to the end.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Books have to engage me. Poorly structured prose is annoying. Plenty of books I feel often need tighter editing especially when the narrative leaps about like a kangaroo.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    l can recall only abandoning one book because it was just so dull and uninspiring: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/310330.The_Whole_Shebang_A_State_of_the_Universe_s_Report (it went to a charity shop)
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try not to give up on books if I can. The two I can think of off the top of my head are The Naked Lunch and Great Expectations. I read GE when I was a lot younger though so maybe it's worth another try.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually read the sample chapter of a book before buying it. Likewise for an audiobook and I'll also listen to the 5 minute sample to make sure that the reader is ok. I've only given up on a couple of books over the past 2 or 3 years, but there have been a few that have been a struggle to get through and one or two that weren't really worth the effort.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to finish every book, but when it becomes too much of a chore I stop. I have now maybe 6-7 unfinished books this year. I read on Kindle and always read the free chapter, but there are still those that go downhill right after that. Now with ePublishing making things easier it seems everybody thinks they are a writer.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one - The Wurd by Chris Wilson.

It's a very interesting premise, a book set in prehistoric times about the dawning of language. However, the phonetic representations jarred my brain and i couldn't continue. Shame really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I have to say I admire the staying power of a lot of the posters above. I think I have just become more intolerant as I have got older. Or perhaps it is doing A level English and HAVING to thoroughly read some books that I hated. Though there were a few I loved!). One thing guaranteed to turn me off a book is if it's written in the present tense. But if a book has a gripping story, I am quite forgiving if the writing is not as 'pretty' as it could be. For me, story is king.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I echo the "I'm less tolerant now I'm older" theme.

I used to read anything that was put in front of my eyes. I very rarely left a book unfinished.

Since I turned 60, that's no longer the case. A book has to really grab me from the start or it's back to the library, or to the charity shop before you can say "boring".

Sometimes I read stuff I used to like and I wonder what I saw in it. Quite sad, really. I wonder if it's because I've read so many books in my time that plots all seem a bit hackneyed, and characters predictable.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    May take years in some cases but I always finish a book.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a kid, the only book I ever gave up on was 'The Lord of the Rings'. It's now my favourite book!

These days, it's not often I give up on anything although I wish I had sometimes.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if it's because I've read so many books in my time that plots all seem a bit hackneyed, and characters predictable.

I've wondered exactly the same in recent years.

I read a lot less than I used to. Partly, I suspect, because there is so much other information, entertainment and distraction available via the computer. But most books seem to disappoint nowadays: even some that have kept me turning the pages turn out to fall flat with an "is that it?" or an "oh, ffs!" ending.

And I agree with stud u like about editing. Do they even have editors any more? Books often read like a first draft now.

Once I used to read to the end, but I've got ruthless now. I shall never get back those hours I spent on 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell', >:( for instance. If I'm not enjoying a book after 60-100 pages, out it goes.
  • sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only give up on ones written by Americans or others, that are set in UK, and use completely incorrect terminology, slang etc. I am sure this happens the other way round too, just irritates me, in fact just partially read one that described traditional Christmas dinner (not tea time) as being roast turkey, roast potatoes, pickles and gravy.....pickles? gave up straight after that, there were quite a few other mentions of trunks (car boot) gas (petrol)amongst other things.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed I abandon (or ignore) more on my Kindle than did when I bought 'real' books. Maybe it was the fact that I had something tangible that I thought it deserved more effort. Or as if was the only book in my bag, I was stuck with it. E-books make it a lot easier to think 'bored now' and skip to something else. Most recent was 'The Twelve' by Justin Cronin. I quite liked The Passage, but can't get into this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one. I was starting to think I had an attention disorder. But when I buy a book now (or a movie) and I don't care about the characters, or it's just plain boring, I don't care what rave reviews it has, or how beautifully crafted its sentences, it doesn't deserve my attention. Maybe I'm just getting craggy as I get older. :D

No you're not the only one! I feel exactly the same way; sometimes I feel bad that I don't struggle on with them, but life's too short, really!
    What does worry me slightly is how out of synch I seem to be with everyone else sometimes - there are so many Books that lots of people absolutely love, that leave me cold:blush:
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    No you're not the only one! I feel exactly the same way; sometimes I feel bad that I don't struggle on with them, but life's too short, really!
    What does worry me slightly is how out of synch I seem to be with everyone else sometimes - there are so many Books that lots of people absolutely love, that leave me cold:blush:

Are you sure they read them? Maybe they are just riding the bandwagon :D BTW I reminded myself of this video I saw some time ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbJ4N4zQjg

So think twice next time you want to abandon a book :o:D
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I set the bar much higher for fiction than for other types of book. In fact if I have abandoned 2 novels, one after the other, I usually turn to Biographies for a while.

I am trying not to be too harsh.....but what is the point of Fiction unless it is great Fiction?
    Sales of Fiction took a real nosedive in New York in the period that followed September 2001. That makes complete sense to me.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will stick with most books to the bitter end, unless the book is very badly-written.
    Dean Koontz has already been mentioned. I gave up reading his books simply because they were so badly written. Evidently the guy is 'proud' he had a poor education (because he skipped school) and still made it. Well to me, it shows too much!

Thomas Harris is another author whose style I find difficult to read, even though his ideas are great. However, I usually stick with him and read with gritted teeth.

And Dan Brown is an author I refuse to read at all, after ploughing my way through the dreadful The Da Vinci Code. I presume it was written for teenage boys at boarding school, as I cannot imagine anyone else being gripped by this story! And I believe it was cribbed from something else anyway....
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    The only book I ever gave up on was Jude The Obscure. I must have got it from the library a few times over the years and could never get anywhere with it. There were loads of times I'd get books out and not get around to starting them but if I started then I'd always finish (bar Jude).