Options

Dry hands

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
Forum Member
✭✭
My hands are starting to get quite dry, what's the best way to combat this? I've been using E45, are any of these creams actually worth it or should I stick with that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Australian Body Care tea tree hand & body lotion.
    I've suffered with very dry skin for years & this cured it.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Buy a tub of e45 and use a big dollop to wash your hands, make sure the water isn't hot HOT, pat your hands dry and apply more e45. .

Works a treat.:)

Take a small tube of e45 to work to use during the day.

Obviously if your hands are covered in oil/paint and the likes wash as usual then wash again with e45.

If you find your hands are getting really bad buy a pair of cotton gloves and coat your hands in e45 and wear the gloves over night.

Do not use soap, nearly all soaps are bad for dry skin, I've even found the so called dry skin soaps like Dove to be even worse.

Hope that helps.:)
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,773
    Forum Member
    Lush's Helping Hands cream is really good for very dry hands. It's quite oily, so you only need a small amount at a time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Soap and Glory's hand cream is pretty good.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neutrogena Dry Hand Moisturizer - brilliant - far better than E45.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I use Hemp Hand Protector from The Body Shop it's really good and they have other products which are equally good to....
  • Options
    pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a tub of e45 and use a big dollop to wash your hands, make sure the water isn't hot HOT, pat your hands dry and apply more e45. .

Works a treat.:)

I do that but with aqueous lotion....it's usually under £2 for a huge tub and it works the same as when I tried it with E45.

For handcream I use the nivea one with Q10...it's worked better than any handcream I used before. Only takes a little bit, and my hands were noticable better after the first spplication.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Diva wrote: »
    I use Hemp Hand Protector from The Body Shop it's really good and they have other products which are equally good to....

Another vote for BS Hemp Hand Protector here.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I do that but with aqueous lotion....it's usually under £2 for a huge tub and it works the same as when I tried it with E45.

For handcream I use the nivea one with Q10...it's worked better than any handcream I used before. Only takes a little bit, and my hands were noticable better after the first spplication.

Yes, I think the principle is the same but the product will differ from person to person, for me anything with perfume/scent is a no no when it comes to washing. It can take many years of trying different products, but I would always suggest a fragrance free product to start of with, but it really is trail and error.
    :)
  • Options
    BishBashBosh!BishBashBosh! Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I suffer from this quite bad. I use Johnston moisturising lotion.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I used to get horribly dry hands, a combination of frequent washing in work and the cold weather. I tried pretty much every cream on the market and Soap and Glory's Hand Food is the best I've ever used. Bonus is that it sinks in and doesn't leave a greasy film. Hideous packaging, excellent product.

Oh and it works a treat on feet/heels too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another fan of Soap and Glory's hand cream here, it's amazing!

I wish they did a mini handbag sized one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    Neutrogena Dry Hand Moisturizer - brilliant - far better than E45.

Seconded!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Ergh! I have such a problem with my hands - basically I can't get them wet and let them dry naturally (or with a towel/hand dryer) it just sets my teeth on edge thinking of it! I get through gallons of Palmer's Cocoa Butter! The original is the best, it smells gorgeous too!
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    L'octaine hand creams are really good. They're a bit expensive but very nourishing.
    I put the hand cream on at night then pop some gloves on, in the morning my hands are nice and soft :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    The best thing that i use always, is vaseline hand & nail cream.I'm a nurse so i'm always washing my hands.It's the only thing that works,i've tried alsorts of cream but i always come back to vaseline.
  • Options
    thefoxmistressthefoxmistress Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Pazwaz, maybe they should test handcreams on nurses :) and reward us with big boxes of the stuff :D

My former repeat purchase was Vaseline's hand & nail cream, especially for stopping nails getting dried out by constant handwashing. I still have a bottle at work, but it's not getting much use any more as I've been converted to Soap & Glory one. It really is amazing - uber-nourishing & I love the smell.
    Another fan of Soap and Glory's hand cream here, it's amazing!

I wish they did a mini handbag sized one.

Boots have a 50ml size: http://www.boots.com/en/Soap-and-Glory-Mini-Hand-Food-Hand-Cream-50ml_27908/ :) They do have them in the stores, but tend to keep them with other travel-size products rather than with the main S&G section.

Reminds me.....I really must buy one.....I've been known to change my choice of handbag so that it can accommodate a tube of the standard sized one. /My bad :D
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use clinique's hand moisturiser. It's expensive but the only stuff that actually works, because my hands are too sensitive for normal stuff.