Strictly star axed (says the Sunday People)

Comments

• Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    Depending what's happening with Natalie Lowe/Aliona Vilani, they're also going to have to let one of the female pros go.

Unless they're flipping the numbers this year and having an extra male celeb.
    I believe Aliona was brought into replace Natalie so she'll presumably be the one to go.
  • valeziovalezio Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm the story I read stated that James had been offered a contract but refused & is leaving as he was going to be a background dancer & not paired with a Celeb. It did say that Ola was now undecided regarding her contract. Disappointed by this news. I think both of them are excellent.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    valezio wrote: »
    Hmm the story I read stated that James had been offered a contract but refused & is leaving as he was going to be a background dancer & not paired with a Celeb. It did say that Ola was now undecided regarding her contract. Disappointed by this news. I think both of them are excellent.

What is a "background dancer" ?
    I know they had the ill-fated "dance troupe" for one series, surely they would not make that mistake again!!

Does anyone recall which paper the Jordans bleated to about "the bust up" between Karen and Ola - if it's the Mirror group then we can all guess the source of this story.

My bet is that the Jordans are pretty much out if Strictly (for whatever reasons), but maybe the producers decided to hedge their bets and to have a couple of extra dancers under a loose contract in case of injuries.
    They would not want a situation like the last 2 years where they have had to go out looking for dancers (Iveta with Jonny Ball / Sid Owen) or go grovelling back to Aliona after cutting her last year.
    They do have Ian Waite doing ITT so one male backup, maybe they wanted the Jordans to be standby dancers.
    Or maybe like Vincent and Flavia and Katya, as "part of the Strictly family" for Bruces's "specials".

Aliona came back after being "fired" last year, so methinks this may not be the end.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a shame I know he can be a bit mouthy with the judges but Its nice to see some personality.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    Thats a shame I know he can be a bit mouthy with the judges but Its nice to see some personality.

Yeah, but a shame it's a Nasty one generally. Talent is one thing; unwarranted arrogance is another.
  • davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hold James' stage persona against him. He's playing a character, much like Anton and Vincent. Nonetheless, time keeps marching on and there's nothing wrong with the show freshening things up. If none of the pros left and nobody new came in then the show might drift a little.
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather have James and Ola than mean Karen and smug Kevin From Grimsby!

Totally agree. Can't stand either of those two
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    curvybabes wrote: »

Brendan can be mouthy too but he's not been axed.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they don't want any bad feeling to rock the feelgood factor of the show .

We know there was some bad feeling between Ola and Karen last year, for whatever reason, and James also made his feelings known about some nastiness towards his wife.

Kevin gained a lot of popularity last year . The two K's have now replaced Ola and James as the couple of the show .
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok, what the heck is a backing dancer??!?!!
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume James would partner Ola in group dances, but that is the only time he would appear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    ok, what the heck is a backing dancer??!?!!

They had a few backing dancers in some of the routines last year - A&A's salsa and M&I's samba. Can't see James being too happy to dress up as a zebra and prance around behind the celebs, however! :D
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James admitted on a tv show - I think it was The Wright Stuff - that he was disappointed that he was not being offered a contract for this year's show. He didn't mention Ola, but we have to remember it is only a job for them, so if they want the money, there is no reason why she shouldn't keep working. However, insider gossip - and it is only gossip not necessarily fact - is that she wants to have a baby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »
    I don't like to see one half of a dance partnership asked to stay and the other half not. That's what happened with the Cutlers.

Cutlers were a bit different from the Jordans in that before Strictly they had already stopped dancing together, and of course, they were divorced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont follow James or Ola on twitter (and he may have already denied it) but surely if this were even remotely untrue wouldnt James be gobbing of and ranting about it...........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    James admitted on a tv show - I think it was The Wright Stuff - that he was disappointed that he was not being offered a contract for this year's show. He didn't mention Ola, but we have to remember it is only a job for them, so if they want the money, there is no reason why she shouldn't keep working. However, insider gossip - and it is only gossip not necessarily fact - is that she wants to have a baby.

Careful - someone will start the annual 'Is Ola pregnant' thread ahead of its designated schedule (third week of the show or first time Ola's abdomen does not appear to be concave, whichever comes sooner ;) )

It must be very difficult to work out how to time starting a family for female dancers - in most jobs you can work up until a few weeks before the birth, but you'd have to stop work a lot sooner as a dancer.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If true, It's all kinds of hilarious that they ever thought that James Jordan would be willing to take a contract to just be a hoofer in the background, and that the audience would just accept it and not comment.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    If true, It's all kinds of hilarious that they ever thought that James Jordan would be willing to take a contract to just be a hoofer in the background, and that the audience would just accept it and not comment.

OR they made him an offer they KNEW he'd have to refuse--this is usual practice in Show biz.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was that when he was a guest panelist a few months ago? I didn't see it, but wasn't aware he'd confirmed that far back he wasn't coming back. I thought none of the Pros knew for sure till around now as line-ups are being finalised?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Was that when he was a guest panelist a few months ago? I didn't see it, but wasn't aware he'd confirmed that far back he wasn't coming back. I thought none of the Pros knew for sure till around now as line-ups are being finalised?

they dont, contracts go out around June time I believe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »

Yes it was.

Usually the pros don't know for sure whether their contracts are going to be renewed until end of May, which suggests there may be some agenda we know nothing about regarding James. Whatever, the reason, James would not have said publicly he was upset/disappointed not to be returning, if he didn't know for sure that that was the case.
  • Sue_HowarthSue_Howarth Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am wondering if this is a Jordan created story. Trying to kick up a backlash against been dropped just before the contracts come out. If so it has not really worked as there has been a few "Oh that's a pity"comments but not exactly the same reaction as when Darren and lillia were dropped
    It ties in with the ,possibly, self made story of Karen bullying Ola, James is focusing on Kevin and Karen and putting his partnership in the forefront of the public's mind at a critical time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am wondering if this is a Jordan created story. Trying to kick up a backlash against been dropped just before the contracts come out. If so it has not really worked as there has been a few "Oh that's a pity"comments but not exactly the same reaction as when Darren and lillia were dropped
    It ties in with the ,possibly, self made story of Karen bullying Ola, James is focusing on Kevin and Karen and putting his partnership in the forefront of the public's mind at a critical time

it wouldnt surprise me, IMO the only reason the Karen/Ola spat made the papers is due to someone in the Jordan camp leaking it
  • strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    it wouldnt surprise me, IMO the only reason the Karen/Ola spat made the papers is due to someone in the Jordan camp leaking it

That's a good point! I did not think of that!
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was.

Usually the pros don't know for sure whether their contracts are going to be renewed until end of May, which suggests there may be some agenda we know nothing about regarding James. Whatever, the reason, James would not have said publicly he was upset/disappointed not to be returning, if he didn't know for sure that that was the case.

So we'll definitely be getting a new male Pro, at least. Let's hope a) He's 6ft plus and b) Good at Ballroom. They should just give Ian Waite a call asap! :cool: