Options

Pets and the Afterlife

3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am posting this here mainly as I do not want this to end up as yet another slanging match about religion (as I am sure it would do were I to post this in General Discussion), but I would be very interested to know if people on here think there is a Heaven or an afterlife for our pets and animals in general.

I am also asking on behalf of a rather ageing and not very well Jack Russell.

I guess that part of the beauty of being an animal is that they don't necessarily contemplate this kind of thing and so they aren't frightened of death. It just happens.

I am hoping that nature will take its course and he will pass away in his sleep, but he may need a bit of help from the vet to get across the finishing line. However it happens, I'd like to think that he will be going somewhere amazing :)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's an afterlife for humans, i'dve thought there would be for animals too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    If there's an afterlife for humans, i'dve thought there would be for animals too.

I agree with the above. But that's not to say that I'm entirely convinced there is an afterlife for any living creature.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I don't think there is an afterlife for any of us. Life appears to be a chink of light between two dark voids. It's kind of beautiful if you think about it.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I don't think there is an afterlife for any of us. Life appears to be a chink of light between two dark voids. It's kind of beautiful if you think about it.

What a lovely way to put it, I like that :)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When mine are PTS I always remind them they will be seeing our previous dogs and who to watch out for (couple were right gits when alive) and who will be there to love them and care for them. The vet always looks at me like I'm a bit bonkers but it helps us all get through it I think.

I firmly believe they go where they will never be old. never be in pain and never have to wear a lead and collar. And that the dog loving members of the family who go before will look after them until we get there in years to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    all dogs go to heaven.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it depends on what you believe happens to humans. If there is an afterlife I think animals must surely be part of it. Same for reincarnation if you believe in that. Unfortunately I suspect there is nothing for any of us. :confused:
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 100% convinced I will meet up with all my family pets sadly gone. I would be totally devastated if I thought I would never see them ever again. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »

It is kind of a beautiful way to put it, yes, although it gives me hope to think that there is more.
    molliepops wrote: »
    When mine are PTS I always remind them they will be seeing our previous dogs and who to watch out for (couple were right gits when alive) and who will be there to love them and care for them. The vet always looks at me like I'm a bit bonkers but it helps us all get through it I think.

I firmly believe they go where they will never be old. never be in pain and never have to wear a lead and collar. And that the dog loving members of the family who go before will look after them until we get there in years to come.

Thanks for this, Mollie, especially the bit about what you have said to your dogs before they are helped on their way.

Bless you :)

Thanks for all the replies xx
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    JimF wrote:
    I also truly believe that animals have souls and go to heaven. My rationale is; why would God who loves us give us these animals to love so dearly and love us, and then take them away forever? It doesn't make sense that God would do something like that. God is the source of love. I believe that when we go to heaven, we'll be with God, our family and all our pets, because those are the people and pets that God put into our lives to love and be loved by.

Source = https://www.google.co.uk/#q=near+death+experiences+pets

I hope that is of some comfort.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

I'd go with this as an answer tbh.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't believe in any after life..... but IMHO, it does no harm to believe in whatever you wish, so long as it does not influence the way you care for animals in life :)
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever gives you comfort.

But do be aware its absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If it's not going to be positive in a sensitive thread, why are you intent upon trying to cause upset?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source = https://www.google.co.uk/#q=near+death+experiences+pets

I hope that is of some comfort.

For some reason I cannot see JimF's original post. just the quoted version, but it is brilliantly worded.

I will check out the link as well.

I'll keep that in mind and thank you for your kind words ;-)
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's not going to be positive in a sensitive thread, why are you intent upon trying to cause upset?

Oh please. We have to treat everyone like little babies nowadays? The whole concept of a afterlife is just to give death and loss a 'soft landing'
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Something's for certain. He'll either:

1. Die and that will be the end of him.
    2. Die and be reincarnated
    3. Die and merge with God
    4. Die and become a ghost
    5. Die and go to heaven or hell

My money's on the first one, I'm sorry to say. That's the most logical and scientific explanation.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you DS for making my day. After this, I don't think anything else will ever surprise me :D
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three days after I had my beautiful boy PTS, I found a perfect, fluffy white feather in the shed. He always used to follow me out there because that's where his boxes of food and biscuits were kept.

It was probably just a coincidence but I kept the feather anyway, just in case.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope to see my furbabies again one day ..i miss them so much,
    and i'd love for rainbow bridge to be a real place

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that thank you for posting it !
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    There is no afterlife for any living thing imo, but even if one were a Christian one couldn't really believe in an afterlife for animals.

The teachings of Christianity show that humankind is unique and created in God's image.
    Humans have a relationship with God, and if they consciously accept that Jesus 'saved' them when he died for their sins, then they will go to heaven and have everlasting life.
    Animals don't have the capacity or self-conscience to perceive such a thing.

That's not my view btw, I'm just summarizing Christian teaching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    There is no afterlife for any living thing imo, but even if one were a Christian one couldn't really believe in an afterlife for animals.

The teachings of Christianity show that humankind is unique and created in God's image.
    Humans have a relationship with God, and if they consciously accept that Jesus 'saved' them when he died for their sins, then they will go to heaven and have everlasting life.
    Animals don't have the capacity or self-conscience to perceive such a thing.

That's not my view btw, I'm just summarizing Christian teaching.

I get fed up of being told about what I as a Christian I should think on the GD forum in pets surely we can just let people alone to believe as they see fit, my Christianity extends to a heaven for my animals because a loving God would not separate us in death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies, especially the one about the "Rainbow Bridge" and the one with the white feather found in the shed :):)

It has been very interesting to read what everyone thinks and it is nice to think that more people seem to think something else is 'out there' compared to those that think there isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the replies, especially the one about the "Rainbow Bridge" and the one with the white feather found in the shed :):)

It has been very interesting to read what everyone thinks and it is nice to think that more people seem to think something else is 'out there' compared to those that think there isn't.

I have seen what the inside of the nearest hospital cardiac unit looks like and twice now I've come very close to dying which resulted in two very interesting experiences. That means I now have zero fear of what is mistermed 'death' and probably the best representation of what comes next is the last five minutes of the film What Dreams May Come.