'Guardians of the Galaxy', Flop in the Making?

Comments

• Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks like a really silly movie. more talking animals .
    the world is being dumbed down

So a talking raccoon is a sign of the world being dumbed down, yet a character like Smeagol/Gollum who appears in books/films with talking dragons etc is worthy of being immortalised in your username? Ok...
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    My tickets are booked for GOTG on Thursday and I can't wait!

I just hope it lives up to the hype!
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a talking raccoon is a sign of the world being dumbed down, yet a character like Smeagol/Gollum who appears in books/films with talking dragons etc is worthy of being immortalised in your username? Ok...

There have been talking animals in fiction all through recorded history. But every single generation of cranky old people think it's the next generation that marks a sudden decline from their heyday.

The fallacy that everything from your youth was better than it really was and everything that comes later is worse than it is is a common human misconception, but it really speaks more about how the observer views the world at different stages of their life than it says about the world.
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    My tickets are booked for GOTG on Thursday and I can't wait!

I just hope it lives up to the hype!

Well, I saw at the regional premier last week and had gone in with an open mind, trusting Marvel to come up with an entertaining yarn.... For me, it more that met the hype. Just a fun movie!

So much so, I have pre-booked my tickets for Thursday too! :D
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wanted to see this first day it opens but can't because I've just had radioactive iodine therapy and doctors say it is harmful for me to be around people for prolonged periods of time. :(
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Wanted to see this first day it opens but can't because I've just had radioactive iodine therapy and doctors say it is harmful for me to be around people for prolonged periods of time. :(

I hope you make a quick recovery and are able to see this soon. :( Though health does come first
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 sequel confirmed at Comic-Con. To be written and directed by James Gunn and released summer 2017.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you make a quick recovery and are able to see this soon. :( Though health does come first

I'll be fine, cheers. :) At least it's only for 3 weeks! I was just having a whinge because it's been a long time since I've seen a movie within the first week of its opening (Man of Steel was the last one) and I've been looking forward to GOTG forever! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait though ;-)
    Forum Member
    Estimates in the US have GOTG opening to $65m in its first weekend and it might even go over $70m which would make it the best August opening of all time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Just saw this at a staff screening at work in IMAX, absolutely loved it, probably my favourite Marvel film :) And the post credits scene is hilarious if you're a child of the 80's and well versed in Marvel comics, I'm not going to post exactly what it is because it's funnier to just see it (it isn't an Avengers AoU trailer though, so don't get your hopes up for anything like that).

I really hope this film over performs at the box office though, it deserves to do a hell of a lot more than it's current estimates. Best blockbuster of the summer for me :)
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hodor89 wrote: »
    Just saw this at a staff screening at work in IMAX, absolutely loved it, probably my favourite Marvel film :) And the post credits scene is hilarious if you're a child of the 80's and well versed in Marvel comics, I'm not going to post exactly what it is because it's funnier to just see it (it isn't an Avengers AoU trailer though, so don't get your hopes up for anything like that).

I really hope this film over performs at the box office though, it deserves to do a hell of a lot more than it's current estimates. Best blockbuster of the summer for me :)

I saw it at the Odeon last night. I'm not staff but my uncle is the general manager. ;-)

The movie was fantastic and is also my favorite Marvel film. I cannot wait to own the Blu-ray and I'm also super excited for the sequel. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to see this earlier today, really early and get some seats far away from other audience goers as not to put them in harm's way! The movie was fab, can't wait to see it again.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Managed to see this earlier today, really early and get some seats far away from other audience goers as not to put them in harm's way! The movie was fab, can't wait to see it again.

You exposed people in a cinema to risk, is that right?

You would have been told to avoid cinemas especially.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    You exposed people in a cinema to risk, is that right?

You would have been told to avoid cinemas especially.

As I said, I sat far away from people. It's only dangerous if I'm close to someone which is why I went early enough so that there would be space. My doctor has told me how to manage it, thanks and so far I've done a good job including taking time off work which requires me to sit directly side by side other people. So if I couldn't have got far away enough I would have left. Please read properly before becoming accusatory.
    Forum Member
    Well it lived up to the hype.One of the best Marvel films yet and I can't wait to buy it on Blu Ray.So funny and I love Groot!

Just don't expect much from the end credit scene!

4.5/5
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    How long into the credits is the scene.

A couple of minutes in or at the end?

Thanks in advance
    Forum Member
    It's at the end of the credits

Although I've heard that its available online if you want to search for it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member

gollum is a creature brought to life in a realistic way a man turned into a creature by the power of the ring. a serious idea

a talking racoon acting like basil brush is a racoon a real creature we see in real life who dont talk so therefore s just plain stupid and shows the mentality of humans we are getting dumber by the day
    Forum Member
    Are you joking or are you just trying to wind people up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gollum is a creature brought to life in a realistic way a man turned into a creature by the power of the ring. a serious idea

a talking racoon acting like basil brush is a racoon a real creature we see in real life who dont talk so therefore s just plain stupid and shows the mentality of humans we are getting dumber by the day

lol assuming you're being serious, if anything, the latter is more realistic because Rocket is a result of human experimentation.
    Forum Member
    I don't think sneaky smeagol is being serious but a good point Naa_KwaKai
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Holy cow! Lighten up a bit. It's a movie. It's where our imaginations can run wild. Why does it have to mimic real life? What's wrong with showing something wildly absurd yet complete fun onscreen? We all need some harmless escapism for a couple of hours. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    The racoon cant act though
    Forum Member
    Yeah as I thought you're just joking!
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Yeah as I thought you're just joking!

lol. Clearly. The internet is a funny place. Sometimes you just can't tell who's making a joke or not. :D