Goodmans GDVD305DVBT Freeview DVD recorder

algenon_iiialgenon_iii Posts: 385
Forum Member
Anyone know anything about this Freeview compatible DVD recorder now available at Agros?

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3801&productId=148928&Trail=C%24cip%3D28956.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D29025.Digital%2BTV%2Band%2BFreeview%3EC%24Brand%3DGoodmans.Goodmans&categoryId=29025&clickfrom=name

Basically is it a Vestel box, is it dual tuner (as unlike the pvr it mentions nothing about tuners) and how good is it in weakish signal areas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Given the cost you're going to get a pile of poo; but if thats what you want :) Argos will oblige!
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    listed but not in stock.

Given a choice today this has to be the number 1 DVD recorder buy.
    I wonder who makes the recorder part. Vestel make a superb Goodmans freeview part.
    Forum Member
    >>>> Given a choice today this has to be the number 1 DVD recorder buy <<<<

LOL!!! have u seen the Sony and Panasonic offerings!?! the Goodmans is probably OK if you don't care about quality!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    CHarnick wrote:
    LOL!!! have u seen the Sony and Panasonic offerings!?! the Goodmans is probably OK if you don't care about quality!!!

Given the utterly superb reliability of my Alba badged Vestel box (also available as a Goodmans badged product) in comparison to offerings from "major" brands, i think you might want to reserve judgment on this item until you've seen it or used it. The Sony DVD recorder with Freeview is awash with bugs and annoyances. Just because an item's cheap and cheerful doesn't always guarantee it'll be poor.

Patrick
    Forum Member
    >>>> The Sony DVD recorder with Freeview is awash with bugs and annoyances <<<<

LOL! Odd I haven't seen them after owning one for 12 months! A comforting little tale to reassure yourself that you haven't just brought a pile of sh**!
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all boxes have bugs /annoyances, especially the Sony one which has been much noted here.

It just happens that many Sony owners are also the most supportive/sensitive.
  • RogRog Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted about this a few days ago - it was in MAKROMAIL at £119.99 + VAT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    CHarnick wrote:

LOL! Odd I haven't seen them after owning one for 12 months! A comforting little tale to reassure yourself that you haven't just brought a pile of sh**!

I don't own any kind of Freeview DVD recorder - I was just saying don't judge without experience. If these forums are to be believed the Sony issues are well documented.

Oh and it's "bought". :-)

P.
  • algenon_iiialgenon_iii Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    CHarnick wrote:

Bet your dad or grandad was talking like that 30 years ago about give me BSR, garrard, PYE over Sony and all that other "cheap jap cr*p".

The reputation Alba, Goodmans, <insert cheap brand here> have now is probably similar to the reputation Sony et al had back in the 70's.

I've got a GDB3 and 4 and find them to be very good boxes for the money I paid - very good in weak signal areas. A friends opinion of Goodmans/Alba has changed dramitcally since he got a GDB3 - has gone from hating them to having respect for them!

Finally, if everyone had to pay £80+ for Sonys and the like Freeview uptake wouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is now where you can get freeview boxes for £30. Think about it a box for the main TV and the 2 TVs the kids have for about the same as one sony box.

I know I won't change your opinion, but you have to accept that for a lot of people these cheapo boxes do a perfectly good job, as they say - "does exactly what it says on the tin".
  • Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope to buy one next mounth , I had a Goodmans HiFI and it was ok , I have a friend who has a goodmans TV and home cinema system and DVD player with out any problems.

I think Sony stuff is overpriced ,companys like Goodmans make it possibile for people to get electronic equipment that outher wise thay could not aford.

It reminds me of AMSTRAD every one used to slag it off cheep make etc, I had AMSTRAD computers and a Video 8 camcorder which was excelent also my first satilite receiver SRD450 ?

Perhaps Alan Sugar should bring out an AMSTRAD box
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    anyone yet taken the plunge and bought one?

For someone with a wife who is keen to reduce the number of boxes under the TV this does seem like an OK bit of kit, as long as it doesn't totally suck or has a pants control system.

CHawke
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think many...if any stores have them in stock as yet.
    Certainly not in my area.
  • BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    The thing to remember about Goodmans is that they don't really exist. They're simply a brand name, owned by Alba plc, and applied to a variety of products sourced from all over the place.

Alba rebrand goods under many different names - but none of the goods themselves are even made by Alba, just a selection of assorted no-name manufacturers around the world. One such manufacturer being the Turkish Vestel, purveyors of a range of DTT receivers in assorted shapes and colours.

While much has been written about how good the basic Vestel DTT box (aka Goodmans GDB3, Digilogic, Bush, etc) now is, it was not always so. When it was first released, the GDB2 as it was then known was an absolute disaster - veterans of the DTT forum will remember the long running update campaign thread, which literally went on for years, and eventually - after many months of promises, gradual progress, injections of brand new bugs, and dedicated beta testing by posters here, resulted in a box that actually did what it was supposed to.

Now, of course this DVD recorder may be perfect. But, it may be a big enough leap forward from that original box to warrant a whole new software and - dare I say it - a whole new world of pain for its early purchasers. Only time will tell...
  • imarshimarsh Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Has anyone actually bought and used one of these machines as all the comments here seem to be based on experience of other Goodmans products or an pre-conceived idea of this product.

I have seen the product in the Argos catalogue and it is tempting at the price, but even £149.99 is a lot of money if it is no good at all.

BTW, I'm looking to transfer my VHS and VHS-C collection to DVD and also be able to record from Freeview.
  • imarshimarsh Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Has anyone actually bought and used one of these machines as all the comments here seem to be based on experience of other Goodmans products or an pre-conceived idea of this product.

I have seen the product in the Argos catalogue and it is tempting at the price, but even £149.99 is a lot of money if it is no good at all.

BTW, I'm looking to transfer my VHS and VHS-C collection to DVD and also be able to record from Freeview. Long term I may consider the Topfield as the solution to off-air recording.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry wrote:
    Don't think many...if any stores have them in stock as yet.
    Certainly not in my area.

Update...........now available to order, for store pickup, from Weds 24 August
  • KDHKDH Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also should be available at Amazon UK soon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ATD8CS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now available to collect from my local Argos.

Those that are interested might want to check locally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    But who's going be first to test it for us? :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    # Access and record all FREEVIEW digital TV channels & radio stations
    # Simple one touch digital set-up
    # Full digital Text
    # Full 7-day EPG & now/ next
    # Dolby digital 2 channel audio output
    # DVD+R, +RW recording format
    # Up to 6 hours recording per disc
    # 8 event timer
    # 1 touch recording using 7 day EPG
    # Plays DVD (inc. +/ -R, +/ -RW), CD (inc. CDR), JPEG & Kodak picture CD
    # Chapter skip/ search & repeat (1/ all/ a-b)
    # Multi-chapter/ track programmable
    # Zoom and slow motion/ step function
    # High tolerance to damaged/ scratched discs
    # Subtitle support
    # 2 x SCART sockets
    # Audio outputs: RCA, optical, SCART, coaxial
    # Video outputs: S-video, SCART, composite
    # Inputs: SCART, RCA (front), S-video (front)
    # NTSC/ PAL auto detection

Specifications here
    http://www.goodmans.co.uk/DVD/GDVD305DVBT.htm#
    Goodmans seem to have pulled the link from the home page though.

Click on the specifications button to get some details
    Forum Member
    OK managed to 'play' with one of these last night.Plugged in the antenna cable and turned it on.
    Set up for dvb almost instantly .
    EPG is different to what Im accustomed to but i got it figured out quite quickly.A downside for some - it has no TUTV capability.

Navigated to BBC3 and pressed record (using a cheap PC-line DVD+RW ) recorded nicely in both 'high' and 'best' quality - I couldnt tell the difference on these using a telly to view. The recordings are displayed as thumbnails and the disk and the titles can be renamed if not yet finalized. It has the standard quality modes giving 1,2,4,6 hrs /DVD recording. Timer Recordings can be set to Manual Timer or can be set via EPG (didnt test this - but its in the manual)
    It has a scart input on theback to record from any scart source and has RCA connectors in front with s-video as well

As a DVD player its not bad either with the six outputs for AC3 (proper sound)on the back and coax and optical outputs for those with DTS recievers.

Its not a PVR that can pause LiveTV and you need a seperate STB to watch another digital channel while recording (you can also watch analogue on your telly of course)

Think I might be buying one of these - does everything I want it to
  • KDHKDH Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If recording from EPG......does timer recording change IF EPG changes?
    RGB input and throughput in standby??

Some of the info in Argos catalogue infers it has an analogue tuner too-this is not the case?

Also on AV forums it's been speculated that this cheap +RW recorder merely has a D/A converter from tuner to a A/V converter for DVD recording. The more expensive recorders(eg Sony/Panasonic convert the digital DVB signal to DVD Video)
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want a machine like this for....
    Recording large items such from external pvr via scart.
    Record freeview direct from aerial.
    Record from camcorder via front RCA connections.
    Record from existing VHS via scart.

The only things that so far I am not so sure about is....
    DVD-RW recording.
    Does the unit have an aerial loopthrough socket (like VHS).
    Is it reliable?
    Noise levels during standby - this unit would be going in a bedroom.

Dave
    Forum Member
    KDH wrote:
    If recording from EPG......does timer recording change IF EPG changes?
    RGB input and throughput in standby??

Some of the info in Argos catalogue infers it has an analogue tuner too-this is not the case?

Also on AV forums it's been speculated that this cheap +RW recorder merely has a D/A converter from tuner to a A/V converter for DVD recording. The more expensive recorders(eg Sony/Panasonic convert the digital DVB signal to DVD Video)

1. Didnt have enough time to test EPG recording

2.Single Digital tuner only - analogue sources recorded Via Scart or RCA sockets

3 It is a dvd recorder to which a freeview reciever has been added - think of it as two seperate boxes. It certainly has Analogue to digital video (MPEG)convertor
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also it would be nice to know if this box has any timer overlap feature - like auto adding 3mins to the start and ending of a recording. I think someone said a few weeks ago that another model did not offer this feature, which I think would be too limiting.

Dave