85th Academy Awards PREDICTIONS!

Comments

• marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,666
    Forum Member
    I think this buzz for Riva is only sparking up after the BAFTAs. Not to put the BAFTAs down, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to whoever picks up the awards at that show. If you want real indications for Oscar winners, then you pay attention to the Globes & SAG awards.
    Plus with Amour being a foreign language film, it will hurt Riva's chances more. In this country it isn't such an issue, but over the ocean it will play a pivotal role.
    Chastain's performance was good, but not great. Much of her performance was forced and she sounded like a petulant teenager at times.

Jennifer Lawrence is taking that Oscar because she gave the best performance this year, and she has Harvey Weinstein behind her. I've heard people say she won't win because she's too "mainstream" now after The Hunger Games...but that's just hipster BS.

I'm not saying that Riva is going to beat Lawrence but I think Riva does have arguments in her favour. For one her age, she is much closer in age to the average of the Academy voter and this is almost certainly her last chance at an Oscar, that might sway a large number towards her. The Academy can be horribly sentimental at times. Also, it may be that she's only gained attention since the BAFTAs but the BAFTAs were the last big awards ceremony and will be fresh in people's minds as they come to cast their votes.

The Globes aren't a bad indicator but they muddle things by splitting their categories for the main acting awards in two so it's hard to tell how things are going to go. The SAGs aren't always a good indicator either, last year for example they had Viola Davis taking their award over Meryl Streep.

Remember too that Marion Cotillard won for a french language film not that long ago against the highly fancied Julie Christie who'd picked up the SAG and a Globe for Dramatic performance that year.

So there's definitely an outside chance Riva could collect the award.
  • superstargirl81superstargirl81 Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    My Pick -

BEST PICTURE
    Argo

BEST ACTOR
    Daniel Day-Lewis, “Lincoln”

BEST ACTRESS
    Jennifer Lawrence, “Silver Linings Playbook”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Tommy Lee Jones, “Lincoln”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Anne Hathaway, “Les Miserables”

BEST DIRECTOR
    Steven Spielberg, “Lincoln”

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    “Zero Dark Thirty”

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    “Argo”

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
    “Frankenweenie”

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
    “Amour”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    “Skyfall”

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
    “Lincoln”

BEST FILM EDITING
    “Argo”

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey”

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
    “Skyfall”

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
    “Skyfall” from "Skyfall"

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
    “Lincoln”

BEST SOUND EDITING
    “Argo”

BEST SOUND MIXING
    “Les Miserables”

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
    “Life of Pi”
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I'm not saying that Riva is going to beat Lawrence but I think Riva does have arguments in her favour. For one her age, she is much closer in age to the average of the Academy voter and this is almost certainly her last chance at an Oscar, that might sway a large number towards her. The Academy can be horribly sentimental at times. Also, it may be that she's only gained attention since the BAFTAs but the BAFTAs were the last big awards ceremony and will be fresh in people's minds as they come to cast their votes.

The Globes aren't a bad indicator but they muddle things by splitting their categories for the main acting awards in two so it's hard to tell how things are going to go. The SAGs aren't always a good indicator either, last year for example they had Viola Davis taking their award over Meryl Streep.

Remember too that Marion Cotillard won for a french language film not that long ago against the highly fancied Julie Christie who'd picked up the SAG and a Globe for Dramatic performance that year.

So there's definitely an outside chance Riva could collect the award.

I agree with your sentiments, but I'm of the opinion that this is one where it's Lawrence's to lose rather than win at this stage.
    Plus some would say they'll give it to her to make up for her loss two years ago, where some claim (not me) she was robbed by Natalie Portman.
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i think argo will win
    Forum Member
    I agree with your sentiments, but I'm of the opinion that this is one where it's Lawrence's to lose rather than win at this stage.
    Plus some would say they'll give it to her to make up for her loss two years ago, where some claim (not me) she was robbed by Natalie Portman.

I think Riva's win is unlikely too although I'm less sure of the brilliance of Lawrence's performance than you are. I thought she was good but I actually preferred her in Winter's Bone plus she's got many years in which to win an Oscar.

I don't think she was ever really a contender two years ago though, Portman swept all before her from my recollection.
  • rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My picks for the 'main awards' (aka, the ones I actually have a clue about) - firstly, who I WANT to win...

BEST PICTURE
    Les Miserables

BEST ACTOR
    Denzel Washington, “Flight”

BEST ACTRESS
    Jennifer Lawrence, “Silver Linings Playbook”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Christoph Waltz, “Django Unchained”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Anne Hathaway, “Les Miserables”

BEST DIRECTOR
    Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    “Django Unchained”

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    “Beasts of the Southern Wild”

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
    “Frankenweenie”

...Now, who I THINK will win

BEST PICTURE
    Argo

BEST ACTOR
    Daniel Day-Lewis

BEST ACTRESS
    Jessica Chastain

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Tommy Lee-Jones

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Anne Hathaway

BEST DIRECTOR
    Ang Lee

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    Django Unchained

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    Argo

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
    Brave
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case anyone's interested, here is the list of award presenters and performers for tomorrow night:

Presenters
    Obviously last year's acting winners will be presenting the acting categories:
    Jean Dujardin
    Meryl Streep
    Christopher Plummer
    Octavia Spencer

Then there's also:

Ben Affleck
    Michael Douglas
    Jamie Foxx
    Dustin Hoffmann
    Jack Nicholson
    Paul Rudd
    Liam Neeson
    John Travolta
    Mark Wahlberg (with Ted)

Jennifer Aniston
    Halle Berry
    Sandra Bullock
    Jessica Chastain
    Jane Fonda
    Jennifer Garner
    Salma Hayek
    Nicole Kidman
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Melissa McCarthy
    Kristen Stewart
    Reese Witherspoon
    Kerry Washington

Plus the cast of Chicago: Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, Renée Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones

And the cast of The Avengers: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, and Samuel L. Jackson

And "special appearances" from Charlize Theron, Daniel Radcliffe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Channing Tatum

Performers

Dreamgirls: Jennifer Hudson (presumably singing And I am Telling You)

Chicago: Catherine Zeta-Jones (presumably singing All That Jazz)

Les Miserables: Anne Hathaway (singing I Dreamed a Dream), Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Eddie Redmayne, Amanda Seyfried, Samantha Barks, Aaron Tveit, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter (all singing One Day More)

Barbra Streisand

Norah Jones (singing a song from Ted)

Adele (singing Skyfall)

Kristin Chenoweth (closing the show with host Seth McFarlane)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Ben Affleck presenting the Best Director award? ;)
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really excited about this years oscars due to the people coming and the performances, on paper it sounds brilliant and let's hope it actually is!
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Performers

Les Miserables: Anne Hathaway (singing I Dreamed a Dream), Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Eddie Redmayne, Amanda Seyfried, Samantha Barks, Aaron Tveit, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter (all singing One Day More)

Barbra Streisand

Adele (singing Skyfall)

At least there's enough good (Streisand, Hudson, Chenoweth and the Les Mis cast) to counteract the awful (Catherine Zeta-Jones and Adele). Should be a good show, hopefully Seth McFarlane won't be too annoying but by the looks of it it could be the most entertaining Oscars since Hugh Jackman hosted.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I don't care if either Lawrence of Riva win. But if Chastain wins I'm throwing a sponge brick at my screen.
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I think Riva's win is unlikely too although I'm less sure of the brilliance of Lawrence's performance than you are. I thought she was good but I actually preferred her in Winter's Bone plus she's got many years in which to win an Oscar.

I don't think she was ever really a contender two years ago though, Portman swept all before her from my recollection.

Her performance in Winter's Bone was certainly better compared to this one that's a certain. I just think with her good performance and Harvey Weinstein behind her...she can't lose.
    Forum Member
    Her performance in Winter's Bone was certainly better compared to this one that's a certain. I just think with her good performance and Harvey Weinstein behind her...she can't lose.

Yes Mr Weinstein certainly knows how to maximise the returns for his films come the Oscars. As awful as it sounds I kind of want Lawrence to lose just so that David O Russell is shown again on camera making that face.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if either Lawrence of Riva win. But if Chastain wins I'm throwing a sponge brick at my screen.

I know it's horrible and a bit personal, but I'm really starting to find her extremely annoying and I find it hard to stand her now, it's funny because I really liked her when she first came on the scene.

I haven't watched or don't want to watch zero dark 30 because of her, she seems a very Oscar ambitious actress and from the clips I've seen of her in that film, it comes across as she's trying very hard be this character in a pretentious way like look how serious of an actress I am and look at the role I'm playing type thing
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    I haven't watched or don't want to watch zero dark 30 because of her, she seems a very Oscar ambitious actress and from the clips I've seen of her in that film, it comes across as she's trying very hard be this character in a pretentious way like look how serious of an actress I am and look at the role I'm playing type thing

I didn't think she came across that way in ZD30 at all. I thought she was very good, but not as good as Jennifer Lawrence's performance in Silver Linings Playbook.
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Ahahahaha, dream on. I love Naomi, but she has no chance.

Are you basing this prediction on your personal opinion of her performance? If so (and I'm certain your answer will be yes because there's been absolutely no reason to expect her to take it), then you're doing it wrong and I suggest you prepare for disappointment on February 25th.

Yes. I really hope she surpises people and wins!:D
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw 'Lincoln' the other day- DDL does not deserve another Oscar! Give someone else the award for a change!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »
    Give someone else the award for a change!

He has won two oscars for goodness sake, in fact he has failed to win more times than he has won.
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    Looks like I'm gonna have to go to bed at about 6-7pm tonight and get up again at 1am ..... loads of work to do before then and then I have meetings at 8am next morning - eeekkk!!

But I can't miss this - sounds like it's gonna be a good one tonight!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    i'm not sure if this has been asked already, but do you know if the oscars are televised on UK tv?
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    trac wrote: »
    i'm not sure if this has been asked already, but do you know if the oscars are televised on UK tv?

Sky Movies :)
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone's interested, here is the list of award presenters and performers for tomorrow night:

Presenters
    Obviously last year's acting winners will be presenting the acting categories:
    Jean Dujardin
    Meryl Streep
    Christopher Plummer
    Octavia Spencer

Then there's also:

Ben Affleck
    Michael Douglas
    Jamie Foxx
    Dustin Hoffmann
    Jack Nicholson
    Paul Rudd
    Liam Neeson
    John Travolta
    Mark Wahlberg (with Ted)

Jennifer Aniston
    Halle Berry
    Sandra Bullock
    Jessica Chastain
    Jane Fonda
    Jennifer Garner
    Salma Hayek
    Nicole Kidman
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Melissa McCarthy
    Kristen Stewart
    Reese Witherspoon
    Kerry Washington

Plus the cast of Chicago: Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, Renée Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones

And the cast of The Avengers: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, and Samuel L. Jackson

And "special appearances" from Charlize Theron, Daniel Radcliffe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Channing Tatum

Performers

Barbra Streisand

Adele (singing Skyfall)

Shirley Bassey is also performing, I heard there won't be a bond reunion, but i wouldn't rule anything out
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,253
    Forum Member
    If there is an upset. It will be Riva. I don't think Argo deserves to win. I don't like the way it twisted history.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Taz93 wrote: »
    I saw 'Lincoln' the other day- DDL does not deserve another Oscar! Give someone else the award for a change!

Why shouldn't he be rewarded for a truly outstanding performance just because he's won twice before. For me his performance, and possibly Anne Hathaway's, are the only ones that have screamed 'Oscar' to me. I can't look back on Lincoln without smiling at the little quirks in his performance, the scene that always comes to mind is the story about the English man's bathroom and the George Washington portrait. I can't wait until I can watch it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why shouldn't he be rewarded for a truly outstanding performance just because he's won twice before.

He should be ashamed of himself for putting in oscar worthy performances, he needs to try less hard to be good next time to give the others a go. ;)