The Russ Abbot appreciation thread

BBrooksBBrooks Posts: 23
Forum Member
Let's get a thread going for Russ, he's a true all-round entertainer and hasn't had the recognition he deserves in recent years. There's been no repeats, hardly a mention of him in documentaries and has seemingly been erased from history. Someone posted about Little & Large never getting a single DVD release, well the same applies here. A best of the Madhouse or The Russ Abbot Show would be nice, but for some reason it's never happened. Maybe it's contractual problems.

He was very popular throughout the 80's/early 90's and not many have equalled his success on TV. His brand of sketch comedy may look dated now, but he paved the way for people like Harry Enfield, Steve Coogan, Paul Whitehouse, Leigh Francis etc. In recent years he's flexed his acting muscles on stage in shows such as Oliver (as Fagin), The Rocky Horror Show etc. even Shakespeare. But he still appears regularly on TV in shows like Last of the Summer Wine (as Hobbo), The Sarah Jane Adventures and Marple. Does anyone else remember his adverts for Castella Cigars?

Comments

• gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I worked at Gt Yarmouth races quite a few years ago, he was appearing there and with all the stars of their day came for a celebrity charity day.

He and his wife were the obvious stars of the day and other performers all well known names were on very good terms with him. He wasn't off but he wasn't the friendliest either but there are a lot worse, I expect he is putting his feet up now for a well earned retirement.

Perhaps his brand of humour is dated now and I for one am glad of that.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    "Oh what an atmosphere!" I used to love that :o
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big shout for Bella Emberg too! Both legends
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I thought his comedy was fairly pathetic, but he's a surprisingly good actor. I saw him on stage in Oliver!, as Fagin. He's no Ron Moody, but he was very, very good.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big shout for Bella Emberg too! Both legends

She must have had really a thick skin to put up with all the jokes directed at her, mainly implying that she was fat and ugly, which she was I suppose but...

I've heard Russ is a bit miserable in real life and would rather forget people forget the sketch shows and the attempts at a pop career because he's a serious actor now. Not sure how much truth there is in that, but there clips of his shows on YouTube and someone commented underneath that his management bought the rights to his shows which is they they've never been repeated.

The video to Atmosphere is so flipping hilarious though. Like someone's dad gatecrashing a party :D
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Madhouse stuff in the early to mid eighties was brilliant imo. Anarchy for a family audience just about sums it up. Curiously his shows at the BBC later in the eighties weren't as good imo-too many elongated song and dance sketches and too little Cooperman and Jimmy.
    Always thought the Wilf and Nelly 321 sketch was very good-the suggestion that a clue which ended "this the travel agent might sell" ended up as the bin and not the holiday summed up the agreeable daftness of the show.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I worked at Gt Yarmouth races quite a few years ago, he was appearing there and with all the stars of their day came for a celebrity charity day.

He and his wife were the obvious stars of the day and other performers all well known names were on very good terms with him. He wasn't off but he wasn't the friendliest either .
    I've heard Russ is a bit miserable in real life and would rather forget people forget the sketch shows and the attempts at a pop career

I recall an interview in which he inveighed against showbiz prima donnas, saying, 'I've got no time for temperament. I was brought up to be polite'. So he obviously doesn't mean badly, if he was sincere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i could say the same for Jasper Carrott..he's also gone ..he was a bit crude with his jokes :o, condoms and stuff :D
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    She must have had really a thick skin to put up with all the jokes directed at her, mainly implying that she was fat and ugly, which she was I suppose...

:D Russ, having never been Adonis himself, ought to have kept shut. People in glass houses...
    "Oh what an atmosphere!" I used to love that :o

That was one of my favourite songs when I was a very small child. Haven't heard it for at least 25 years, but I still remember all the words! I suppose some things just randomly stick in one's memory. Bizarrely enough, I had this song in my head a few days ago for no apparent reason.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    That was one of my favourite songs when I was a very small child. Haven't heard it for at least 25 years, but I still remember all the words! I suppose some things just randomly stick in one's memory. Bizarrely enough, I had this song in my head a few days ago for no apparent reason.

About ten years ago VH1 often used to show a countdown called "The 100 Worst Videos of All Time" and Atmosphere appeared in the top ten, Cliff Richard's Wired for Sound, with Cliff roller skating around a shopping centre, was number one :D
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i could say the same for Jasper Carrott..he's also gone ..he was a bit crude with his jokes :o, condoms and stuff :D

I think Jasper Carrott was a cut above Little and Large and Russ Abbot. Quite a skilled comedian.
  • BBrooksBBrooks Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Not sure how much truth there is in that, but there clips of his shows on YouTube and someone commented underneath that his management bought the rights to his shows which is they they've never been repeated.

That probably explains it then, but his management have no qualms about the fan-made YouTube channel and website which both promote his old shows. Russ is missing out on a good pension there if that's true, if it were me then I'd be raking in the royalties. :D

http://www.russabbot.co.uk/Welcome.html
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDCS9xJ8MMsNd-Tz-cyRpfg
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Cliff Richard's Wired for Sound, with Cliff roller skating around a shopping centre, was number one :D
    That one makes me cry with laughter every time I see it. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Cliff Richard's Wired for Sound

great choon..i have on my ipod :o
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he had died when I saw this thread ...
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was his famous song? Atmosphere?

[URL=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QEkUINpAsg[/URL]