• Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Raquel's come a long way. :kitty:
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    KMX wrote: »
    Best British drama since Broadchurch, praying for a second!

It was MILES better than Broadchurch. I found that boring in parts cos it was so dragged out. Every episode seemed to be dragged out. I remember fast forwarding through a a lot of it cos there were too many suspects who were clearly red herrings.

This has been riveting from start to finish.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Lancashire has been fantastic, it's bee absolutely gripping from beginning to end. Well done to everyone involved for making it all so believable and such great viewing.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That ended the only way it was ever going to end. Saying that, even though common sense told me otherwise in the moment I was convinced Tommy was going to have his head caved in with the fire extinguisher by Catherine. :o

Sarah Lancashire, Karl Davies and James Norton were fantastic. I kind of got the impression that Wainwright had ran out of steam with everything else but that didn't detract from the main narrative.

A new series would be great. Sergeant Cawood has just became my favourite TV police officer. Everything she says, does or feels is so finely realised that there isn't a single scene where I haven't empathised with her, pitied her, been scared by her or been rooting for her.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    Cracking end to the series. I'm glad Catherine got at least some closure. Gutted it's over though, it's the only thing that's been getting me through terrible Tuesdays!

As for a second series, I'm in two minds. Part of me thinks it's better left as the brilliant one off success story it has been. Also I can't help but feel it'd go too far into soap territory, as it'd obviously have to involve another personal battle for Catherine and family as that was such a big part of this series. I guess they could build on the drug story and maybe see a relapse for Clare (I'm sure they didn't make her an ex addict for nothing) which I'm sure would be more great drama but again, maybe end up too soapy?

I'd love a second series, but it has to be a completely different story to this. This story is over, finished. Trying to stretch bits of it out for another series I think wouldn't work.

And unfortunately, the very setting of this programme lends itself to a soapy kind of show, whatever the story is.
    Thats not a bad thing if the writing is good enough.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Best series of 2014 (so far!) for me. Sarah Lancashire is just fantastic. A bit OTT at times, but overall it was captivating, and despite my initial hesitations about it being 6-part drama, it held out well and I never really felt bored or like it was losing its way.

A seconds series... hmmmmmm. I'm in 2 minds. I thought it was so great, but I don't know if it worked well as a stand alone piece of drama. Of course they could easily come up with a new 6-part story about Catherine and her career, but would lightning strike twice? The whole plot was so personal to her, and it seemed to be wrapped up well tonight.

I'd like to see a second series, but I worry about lightning striking twice.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Lancashire's character was soooo unbelievable, what with the constant heroism and Wonder Woman routine.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Who the hell lets a child go home alone with a serial killer on the loose.

That's the one silly thing they did. Catherine is paranoid about Tommy, but lets her grandson come home on his own.
  • Options
    annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the best tv dramas in a long long time. A strong ending, not a let down like lots of other dramas.

All the cast were great, Sarah Lancashire outstanding.

Bit worried about S2 though, there's a lot to live up to.
  • Options
    MimiMoonlightMimiMoonlight Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Wow, what a show! Watched the first five episodes of this pretty much back to back after a workmate told me how gripping it was, and she wasn't wrong. I had my heart in my mouth so many times!

I did like how it went full circle though, with her having to deal with a man covered in petrol at the beginning and the end of the series :D And I also cheered her on when she was kicking him, and I'm not in the least bit violent usually!
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    I really don't want a second series. IMO it was one stand-alone story.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series makes up for all the other rubbish BBC churns out on a daily basis. Worth the license fee on its own.

Anyone live in Hepburn Bridge? What's it lik?
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    Sarah Lancashire's character was soooo unbelievable, what with the constant heroism and Wonder Woman routine.

I think you're on your own with that comment.
  • Options
    Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I hope there is a series two , for the doubters the writer did fantastic with last tango in Halifax so much so that's getting a 3rd series , so who's to say a 2nd series of this wouldn't be just as good if not better
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    If they were boyfriend and girlfriend rather than him raping Becky, then there's definitely still a story to tell around her family and of course someone else to blame and hunt down - someone I suspect that will be a drug dealer

It is perfectly possible that Becky was Tommy's girlfriend and that he (Tommy) raped her.
  • Options
    I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been totally enthralled by this fabulous series, loved every minute of it, and looked forward to the next episode every week.

I'm not sure how I feel about another series but one thing I do know for sure - if it falls the tiniest bit short of series one, it will get ripped to shreds on here!!

xx
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Providing you ignore the unlikely final confrontation between Catherine and Tommy, it was a satisfactory ending. But if we're honest, a rapist kidnapper who was also a triple killer (one of his victims being a police officer) would have resulted in a nationwide manhunt. Catherine wouldn't have had to plead with her superior officers to get their fingers out and start doing something, that was just plain daft. Just think of some of the recent real-life cases.
    I also thought it should have ended by the canal, the reconciliation with her son at the end looked contrived and unnatural after the dramatic and powerful scenes at the party.

But I can live with that. As a series it was immensely enjoyable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking recently about the format of TV series and it prompted me to post this on a message board...
    What do you prefer - stand-alone episode TV shows or miniseries?
    (and not necessarily one-off miniseries as some do have sequels)
    Away from sitcoms there are 2 types of TV show when you think about it - those with self-contained open and closed plots for most episodes (with the odd 2 or 3-parter thrown in every now and then) and shows that are kind of like one very long film where one episode in the midst of the rest doesn't make much sense without seeing those that came before it.

Of course if you have clever, skilled writers you can have TV shows where the episodes therein are simultaneously stand-alone and noticeably part of a greater, overall story arc.

Thinking about it, it mainly seems to be formulaic cop/crime shows such as Midsomer Murders in the UK and CSI and its spin-offs in the States that have episodes that can be watched in any order and which when you have them on DVD you can pluck any episode out to watch.

Fargo (2014), which I'm watching at the moment, is definitely the sort that needs to be watched from first episode to last in order to understand and enjoy it (even if you do have to wait a week between episodes). Spielberg's Taken (2002) is another - can't imagine wanting to watch just any episode of that miniseries - even if it's over a number of days I always watch my DVD of it from beginning to end.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't want a second series. IMO it was one stand-alone story.

I will be booking my seat on the sofa well in advance when there's a second series.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    It was MILES better than Broadchurch. I found that boring in parts cos it was so dragged out. Every episode seemed to be dragged out.
    There is no comparison - I just didn't understand the fuss over Broadchurch. And now, with such well-written and superbly realised female characters in Happy Valley, it really highlights how lightweight Broadchurch was. Olivia Colman made the script look good.
  • Options
    TheJazzmanTheJazzman Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    This series makes up for all the other rubbish BBC churns out on a daily basis. Worth the license fee on its own.

Anyone live in Hepburn Bridge? What's it lik?
    You mean Hebden Bridge. It's a nice twee picturesque town and is considered to be the lesbian capital of Britain
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Valley can easily return for a second series - I imagine the next series will be focused more on drugs and drug dealers, and Catherine's battle against them.

A great end to the series, a very satisfying conclusion with Tommy being caught. And Kevin also turned out to be a real nasty piece of work didn't he?! I loved that scene with the prison visit. Kevin came across as very timid at first, in too deep dealing with the big guys but he actually really showed his true colours in the end - a nasty human being who couldn't take responsibility for his actions. Well played by Steve Pemberton.
  • Options
    popamberpopamber Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    There is no comparison - I just didn't understand the fuss over Broadchurch. And now, with such well-written and superbly realised female characters in Happy Valley, it really highlights how lightweight Broadchurch was. Olivia Colman made the script look good.

I felt frightened to admit to not enjoying Broadchurch !!!!!! Have generally found Police things very formulaic over the years, I don't tend to bother watching. Thoroughly enjoyed LOD series 1 and 2, the acting was outstanding and I enjoy having to think it out. The Fall series 1, I also enjoyed. Happy Valley, as I usually do, I thought I'd have a look at episode 1 and thought that would be that. How wrong was I? Sarah Lancashire was utterly convincing in a very multi faceted role, but thank god didn't turn into a good cop/bad cop type of character. I'm not sure if a series 2 would work, and I would probably go with the same process, give episode 1 a go blah blah. LOD worked very well on series 2 and I'm looking forward to The Fall because it wasn't resolved in Series 1.

I really enjoyed this drama and I hope it garners some big awards when the time comes. Hopefully Keeley will get something too.
  • Options
    FriedGoldFriedGold Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I liked Broadchurch but imo comparing it to Happy Valley does a disservice to the latter. HV knocks the spots off it.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Such a satisfying ending.

I like the idea of the drug culture in that town being next series storyline but they'd have to top this and I just don't think they could. Although this is the same writer who wrote that Halifax show so I suppose she can surprise.