Options

No two min silance on ITV

Comments

• Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV could have observed the two minute silence today but didnt. That is their decision. Perhaps a wrong choice to some but a right one for others.

ITV will probably observe the two minute silence on tuesday when it is actually the 11th. They have moved the news to 1055 so they wont actually have to do a special opt out for it.

We live in a multi channel era and alot of channels dont even observe the silence on the 11th. Are they wrong as well
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    We dont live in a fascist country, .

Yet - give it time....
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Even yesterday's football matches respected the silence before the live matches and also in the Sky complete recording of Man U v. Palace, when in the latter case they could easily have made a case for editing the silence (or part of it) out.

Now I am no Sky supporter, far from it, but that's respect. As a major PSB, ITV's actions if as reported in this thread (I didn't see it) were disrespectful, no ifs, no buts.

I salute you, exactly how I feel. ITV's position of no two minute silence on their main channel is nothing short of a disgrace for a PSB channel. Without the sacrifice of many, their channels wouldn't be Broadcasting.
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    ITV could have observed the two minute silence today but didnt. That is their decision. Perhaps a wrong choice to some but a right one for others.

ITV will probably observe the two minute silence on tuesday when it is actually the 11th. They have moved the news to 1055 so they wont actually have to do a special opt out for it.

We live in a multi channel era and alot of channels dont even observe the silence on the 11th. Are they wrong as well

They havent "moved the news to 10.55" - its on at that time all the time now.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If true, this is a shocking and scandalous decision from ITV.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I think its bad that they still showed murder she wrote during the two min silence. They could have went to an ad break and had a two min silence then.
    BBC 1,BBC 2, Channel 4 and Channel 5 plus all the radio stations had the two min silence.
    ITV should have had the two min silence as well.

Darren

So you decided to mark the event by flicking through all the channels, seeing which ones were broadcasting silence ? Yes, very respectful.

As pointed out, to ensure silence at 11am, simply turn your TV sound off, simples.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for goodness sake. Why are people getting so eaten up about this, ,o you need TV or radio for that matter to tell you what to do?

words fail me they really do.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It is not as if they did not have any notice. They could easily have planned their schedule so there would be a programme junction at 11:00h. Everyone else seems to manage it.

Very disrespectful. I wonder if the Daily Mail will criticise them, ooops no, it's not the BBC so probably not.

Haven't you heard, the ITV scheduler and his extended family have been rounded up and shot (a la North Korea), are you happy now?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another annual Digital Spy faux shock thread, where everyone gets annoyed about something that they wouldn't have tuned in for even if they did observe it, the same thread happened last year.

Are you sure BBC2 observed the silence, as they were in the middle of a recorded programme. Channel 4 only do because they have the live Sunday Brunch programme at that time.
  • Options
    GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    SKY News covered it from about 10.45 until 11.55 - i watched their coverage as the picture seemed sharper than the BBC One HD version

I watched Sky's coverage too.The pictures did seem sharper and I much prefer Alistair Bruce's commentary.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    They havent "moved the news to 10.55" - its on at that time all the time now.
    It used to on at 1125 up until recently.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Haven't you heard, the ITV scheduler and his extended family have been rounded up and shot (a la North Korea), are you happy now?

A bit extreme but many might say that shooting a few ITV schedulers could be a good thing irrespective of what they failed to do today.

I just think that any competent scheduler should be aware of the date and could have easily adjusted the timings to get a programme or advertising break at 11 a.m. - obviously you would not expect them to run adverts during that break.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that the moronic football supporters at at least one game deliberately disrupted their Two Minute Silence, I presume some here would be proud of them.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You clearly aren't "well aware of that", as you've just repeated it.

Err, yes I am very "well aware" of the reasons why two minutes silence is observed thank you, as I made clear by stating my intention to do so on Tuesday morning along with everyone else at work.

Whatever the reason for having the main services on the Sunday in this country, as long as the silence is observed on at least one of the two days I don't see what the problem is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    If true, this is a shocking and scandalous decision from ITV.

Not sure if serious.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Marti S wrote: »
    We dont live in a fascist country, it should be left to individuals to decide if they wish to observe the 2 minutes silence or not, so not all tv channels should force it upon you.

It's called choice, one of the things the soldiers lost their lives to uphold.

Well said.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just feel as ITV is also a PSB they should have had the 2 min silence at 11am the day like all the other PSB TV channels and most radio stations did.

Darren
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Not sure if serious.

Read his other posts about ITV, especially their football coverage which he claims he never watches.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »

The news is already at 10:55am since they moved it in September 2014
    when This Morning came back on air with Phillip Schofield and Holly

I was also disappointed that ITV did not have the two minute silence,
    so I watched it on BBC1 until the News came on, on ITV at 11:25am
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Err, yes I am very "well aware" of the reasons why two minutes silence is observed thank you, as I made clear by stating my intention to do so on Tuesday morning along with everyone else at work.

You said "Britain as far as I'm aware is the only country that officially marks it on a Sunday in it's obsession with being a 'Christian country' which I refuse to be taken in by." so clearly, you were not aware of the fact that it wasn't started on a Sunday for that reason. I just thought that you and others who might have read that, and who believe what you said, should know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said "Britain as far as I'm aware is the only country that officially marks it on a Sunday in it's obsession with being a 'Christian country' which I refuse to be taken in by." so clearly, you were not aware of the fact that it wasn't started on a Sunday for that reason. I just thought that you and others who might have read that, and who believe what you said, should know that.

And that's not what I was referring to when I said I am "well aware of that" in response to you saying "its not a commemeration of christianity or any other religion". Of course I know what its a commemoration of.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV used to cover The Cenotaph until the late 1970s or early 80s. After that, they had the silence as part of Morning Worship, when they used to have an hour of live Christian worship every Sunday morning. I'm not sure what happened during the years after it finished.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if serious.

100% serious. For a national terrestrial channel to miss out a moment of international importance, history and mourning is indefensible. Those who lost their lives in conflict will be turning in their graves at such a shocking decision. As someone who has both friends and family who have served in the forces both past and present including oversees i am appalled by this decision. Whoever made this decision should either do the decent thing and resign from their post or be sacked straight away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I think you'll find the word "everybody" is somewhat of an over-estimate.

Stop splitting hairs. You know what was meant by that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I suppose ITV's only defence is that they thought people who were with them watching 'Murder She Wrote' wouldn't be that interested in the silence and observing it.

No defence at all. Sorry, they are out of order.