O2 UK Results

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the problem, unlimited was meant to be because in surveys and research one of the number one concerns from people is bill shock and customers like the idea that they can use as much as they need for a flat fee.

The problem is giffgaff have turned the fear of bill shock into the fear of ban shock. If they weren't happy offering unlimited with some speed restrictions if necessary, then they should tell people what the FUP is, 10GB, 15GB etc
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Basically, Giffgaff should never have offered unlimited data on a network not designed for data ;)
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Basically, Giffgaff should never have offered unlimited data on a network not designed for data ;)

Unlimited is unsustainable on any UK network but the concept has been used as a 'land grab' to quickly increase subscriber uptake.

Networks who have offered 'unlimited' have been taking steps to limit with Traffic Sense, Traffic Shaping, updated Fair Use Policies and speed limitations. They have to do this to protect the service availability for the majority who are not heavy users and need to access everyday services on smartphones like Facebook and browsing.

giffgaff having reached their 1 million target will be looking to improve the quality of their subscribers and get rid of the heaviest data users to others who in turn will experience exactly the same problem. The smartest operators are those who have avoided the 'unlimited' proposition and subscriber numbers seem to indicate that has been no massive exodus from them as a result of that strategy.

No pain = no gain and that applies to giffgaff like every other operator. They are repositioning their offer and may have to make do with fewer customers but as the goal is profitability those they loose might improve their costs and the bonus is that customers most likely to cause network congestion end up with competitors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again you're posting opinion as fact Wavejock, unlimited with some traffic prioritisation is working for at least 1 operator who owns their own network. They don't see the need to ban users for using too much unlimited.

Advertising unlimited and then banning people for using 15GB as was posted a few posts above ^ seems very dishonest to me.

When you say looking to "improve the quality of their subscribers" what you actually mean is mis-advertise the service deliberately and then boot off the users who use too much.

"bait 'n ban"
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Again you're posting opinion as fact Wavejock, unlimited with some traffic prioritisation is working for at least 1 operator who owns their own network. They don't see the need to ban users for using too much unlimited.

Advertising unlimited and then banning people for using 15GB as was posted a few posts above ^ seems very dishonest to me.

When you say looking to "improve the quality of their subscribers" what you actually mean is mis-advertise the service deliberately and then boot off the users who use too much.

"bait 'n ban"

Seems more than dishonest to me. It's out and out fraud as far as I'm concerned and should be against the law.

Just image explaing to someone 25 years ago that in 2014 companies were going to be allowed to sell a product, say it was unlimited and then heavily limit the product. They'd have thought you were barking mad.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get a landline if you're going to be a data Gannett.

That's a little narrow minded. Can you also tell us how you propose to get ADSL Landline speeds above 512k / 1mbps for millions of ADSL customers in rural areas all over the UK?, because BT don't seem able to.

Once this has been completed they won't have to resort to using the local 10mbps 3G connection in order, to use the internet for streaming, netflix, youtube and other basic things which many here seem to take for granted and usually they only HAVE to do this because its the only means available - (not many Wi-fi points 5 or 10 miles out of town)

In order for you to get an unbiased view from the other side of the equation, how about you reduce your own personal ADSL speed to 0.5mbps for a few years, and lets see how you get on, and exactly how long it takes you to start using 3G as your own preferred internet connection method?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reality is that ALL operators who have offered 'unlimited' data have updated their provision in light of the limitations they have.

Traffic management was not always part of the deal and it can not only be highly restrictive but affects the quality of streaming services with the use of compression.

No customer likes to buy something then have the terms changed but that has been happening across the board as data demand has increased. Those who have previously used 'unlimited' as a benefit may suffer in the short term but over time the issue will resolve itself as there are no operators prepared to provide unlimited tethering and the use of traffic management increases.

giffgaff has one redeeming feature and that is they are a no commitment operator. Customers unhappy with changes are free to change after their monthly goodybag expires or their credit runs out. Rule of thumb with giffgaff is that their offers are bought on a monthly basis and there is no obligation for them to maintain those. Might be more honest if giffgaff discontinued the 'unlimited' offer altogether rather than harass the claimed small number of heavy users attracted to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

giffgaff has one redeeming feature and that is they are a no commitment operator. Customers unhappy with changes are free to change after their monthly goodybag expires or their credit runs out.

.. and there we have it from Wavejock giffgaff has only "one redeeming feature"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/redeeming+feature
    Dictionary "A good quality or aspect that makes up for other drawbacks"

That you can cancel (if of course you don't get banned first ).

/out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally OT in a results thread but the flexibility of being able to change operators is a deal maker for many who do not want tied to long term contracts. giffgaff is one of many that offer monthly packages and all operators revise those for better or worse from time to time. Those who choose monthly deals have a choice to move without penalty if they decide any technical or pricing amendments do not suit their requirements.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    4G now live in Winchester!
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    4G now live in Winchester!

And Cambridge as of today
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest quarterly results for O2

O2 UK results for the quarter ending September 2014 (2014 Jul-Sep). Comparatives are with the previous quarter (2014 Apr-Jun) and the same quarter a year ago (2013 Jul-Sep).

Mobile service revenue: £1104m (2014 Apr-Jun: £1091m, 2013 Jul-Sep: £1168m)

Mobile Customers (Total): 24.085m (2014 Jun: 23.767m, 2013 Sep: 23.427m)
    Mobile Customers (Prepay): 10.658m (2014 Jun: 10.549m, 2013 Sep: 10.765m)
    Mobile Customers (Contract): 13.427m (2014 Jun: 13.218m, 2013 Sep: 12.662m)

Smartphone penetration: 50% (2014 Jun: 50%, 2013 Sep: 48%)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50%.... Still !!!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    How are they still on 50% smartphone penetration....

Edit: aha, didn't even see thine wonks post.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    You need a 3G network to use a smartphone ;)
    Forum Member
    70% of the phones that were sold in to Telefonica were smartphones and 30% of that was 4G smartphones.

So not sure why the UK customers haven't been upgrading from feature phones to smartphones.

As it stands-

~95% - Three
    ~86% - EE
    ~64% - Vodafone
    ~50% - O2
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think EE is that high overall. A contract only figure perhaps? That's how they used to show their figures.
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    Dont think EE is that high overall. A contract only figure perhaps? That's how they used to show their figures.

You may be right there. I do believe EE used contract smartphone penetration.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50%.... Still !!!

Most smart people with Smartphones are on networks with a proper data service. Smartphones are of limited use on 2G!
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    70% of the phones that were sold in to Telefonica were smartphones and 30% of that was 4G smartphones.

So not sure why the UK customers haven't been upgrading from feature phones to smartphones.

As it stands-

~95% - Three
    ~86% - EE
    ~64% - Vodafone
    ~50% - O2

Based on my experience of using Telefonica in Spain over a few years, the network there is light years ahead of the UK O2 network. It's fast and has 3G+ coverage pretty much everywhere. A glaring contrast to O2's network anywhere outside a town or city. That means it's actually worth owning a smartphone there, because the data is usable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 UK are still gaining customers and have more potential to upgrade existing customers than any other network. The strong customer base is healthy and with some increased demand for higher value services the prospect for revenue growth looks promising. Overall a decent result and one has to say that any customer us better than none.
  • GrayburnGrayburn Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Most smart people with Smartphones are on networks with a proper data service. Smartphones are of limited use on 2G!

I get a very good data service on o2.

Good 4G where i work (London ec4), good 4G where i live (Essex) and i've no complaints with where ever else i go. They provide a much better service to the one that i was getting with Three who fobbed me off with mast fix dates that never happened for near on my whole contract. I paid up and left early, wish i'd never even bothered trying the network "built for the internet" as it clearly isn't up to it in many places but the same can probably be said about o2 in some places...just not where i go thankfully :D
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London EC4, Essex and Glasgow.

O2's coverage is indeed improving! :p
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50%.... Still !!!

It seems that figure won't budge above 50%. I get the feeling there's a lot of older customers on O2, who have cheap 2G only phones and probably top up £10 every couple of months.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grayburn wrote: »
    I get a very good data service on o2.

Good 4G where i work (London ec4), good 4G where i live (Essex) and i've no complaints with where ever else i go. They provide a much better service to the one that i was getting with Three who fobbed me off with mast fix dates that never happened for near on my whole contract. I paid up and left early, wish i'd never even bothered trying the network "built for the internet" as it clearly isn't up to it in many places but the same can probably be said about o2 in some places...just not where i go thankfully :D

My experience in the South West Of Scotland is the opposite of yours. It is not a remote or sparsely populated area and is only 25 miles south of Glasgow. With O2's 3G coverage only covers highly populated areas. Leave any big town and its back to GPRS. There are huge areas with no 3G what so even along major trunk roads. So I joined Three and it really is night and day. 3G coverage is great! Makes using a smartphone worth while.