----HELIX----Season 1 US Pace

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Helix is an upcoming American science fiction thriller television series on Syfy that is scheduled to debut January 10

The series follows a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who travel to a research facility in the Arctic to investigate a potential outbreak of disease. While there, they find themselves stuck in a life-or-death situation that could decide the fate of the future of mankind

Cannot Wait :)

Comments

• Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I love the fact that Syfy is airing the show as a double header, a double helix if you will. I would love to know if they planned that or if it is just a coincidence they didn't see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Knowing SyFy they will have cancelled it before the first part has finished airing :p
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This does look brilliant. Cant wait
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    High hopes for this what with it being the same people who made BSG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Here's the first 15 minutes....worth a watch ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CviEeDRBr6w
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about it. It looks like another X-files black oil type thing.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if this is an attempt to cash on on TWD zombie/virulent disease cash cow.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if this is an attempt to cash on on TWD zombie/virulent disease cash cow.

I think it's possible that Ronald D Moore is recycling some of the ideas generated when he was scripting the prequel to 'The Thing'.

His script was eventually dropped in favour of one by Eric Heisserer, but Helix seems to have enough similarities is setting and tone for me to think that 'The Thing' is more of an inspiration than 'The Walking Dead'.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    Helix is an upcoming American science fiction thriller television series on Syfy that is scheduled to debut January 10

The series follows a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who travel to a research facility in the Arctic to investigate a potential outbreak of disease. While there, they find themselves stuck in a life-or-death situation that could decide the fate of the future of mankind

Cannot Wait :)

thank you!! looks good, will remember to watch
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I think it's possible that Ronald D Moore is recycling some of the ideas generated when he was scripting the prequel to 'The Thing'.

While this show is being produced by Moore's production company, the idea came from a nobody named Cameron Porsandeh, who was told that to get the thing sold and on TV the project would have to be done under the umbrella of a major science fiction producer, and Porsandeh named Ron Moore as somebody he would like to work with. So how much influence has Moore really had? Moore isn't even the showrunner for the project. He's too busy making Outlander in Scotland for Starz.
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 will be showing this 20th January at 10pm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume now the first 2 parts have officially been shown we can talk about it without spoilers?
    Don't read any further if you haven't seen it yet.

OMG what a pile of cliched rubbish.

Yes it is polished rubbish, but it is doing nothing that hasn't been done before.

How many mistakes are they going to make for such a professional team.

It's a great idea to have a shower alone, with music playing loudly to cover any noise one of the many escapees might make. Rolleyes

And going alone without protective clothing, into a locked, dark area, where you believe infected monkeys might be, and evidence of open cages, is a great idea.

The Marx brothers could have contained the situation better than the CDC.

The only good thing was the frozen monkeys.

I'll keep on watching, mainly to see how many more mistakes they can make, and in the vague hope it may improve and offer something we haven't seen before but I won't hold my breath.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad start but I expected more.

First episodes for genre series are always hard for me to get into because they're rarely exciting or pleasing. It's all about the setup & introducing characters. That's why I can't judge this series yet. But the previews of future episodes look good so I'm going to stay with this for the next few weeks at least.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching it now. The fact that I'm posting says it all, really. Slow and tedious.
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry but what a load of rubbish!

30 minutes in and I'm shaking my head in disbelief at how bad the acting is....

First new show to be binned this year.....
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with koantemplation on some of the rather daft mistakes (what about not twigging on the reason for the missing hand as well...) they made but despite that I did enjoy the first two episodes. I'll stick with this.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I started out annoyed at how bad it was but by the end of "day three" I'm quite enjoying it in the so bad it's funny mold.

It helps to remember this is syfy, the people that brought us Sharknado and look at it in that light.

My personal favourite moments of the third episode have to be
    The woman passing out naked in the decon shower only for her towel to magically appear covering her bits when she's found

Dr Fartguts announcing he was going to call the army in as soon as they get the next sat uplink - what could possibly go wrong
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to agree with Koantemplation. The show is very, very cinematic in its presentation. But content-wise it's lacking (and really: not very original, either). However the worst aspect is the characters.

They all have that "clipped" tone. None of them come over as being real people (except for "Monkey woman" - don't recall her name) and are trying too hard to play their roles, rather than project a personality that the audience could connect with.

Now that I've seen the opening two-parter, I think that's enough for now. I'll keep an eye on the forum to see if it massively improves - or that the characters turn into real people. In that case I'll pick it up again. Otherwise it's adios from me!
    Forum Member
    I wasn't drawn into the story, and the characters don't interest me or show any potential for me to become interested in them. A friend of mine says I should give it longer to find its footing, but there is too much TV around that is much better for me to cut shows that kind of slack nowadays.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    A friend of mine says I should give it longer to find its footing, but there is too much TV around that is much better for me to cut shows that kind of slack nowadays.

Yes. If they are competently written, any drama should be able to do what a 90 minute film manages to, and have the audience engaged within the first 10 minutes. The process is common in films and on-off TV dramas, so there's little reason why an experienced writer would ever ignore it. Unless the writer is either useless or so self-involved that they have forgotten they are writing for the enjoyment of the audience.

Plus, if the show does get better, it's so simple to just catch up (or start watching at the UK pace ;-) - though maybe not in BC ) without losing or missing anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is episode 3 out early or has it been shown officially at US Pace?
    Forum Member

It hasn't been shown at US pace.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His script was eventually dropped in favour of one by Eric Heisserer, but Helix seems to have enough similarities is setting and tone for me to think that 'The Thing' is more of an inspiration than 'The Walking Dead'.

I just watched it and 'the Thing' definitely came to mind when the Japanese fellow took off his contacts and his eyes glowed. Has he been taken over by aliens? Is it kind of like Prometheus, an alien plan to manipulate humanity. Plus the virus has been around for generations. Add to that how the military (or rogue military) appear to want to use the virus to probably make a superhuman. Also they mentioned die hard but I remembered Alien (crawling about in small spaces while the 'alien' could be lurking somewhere.

Taking all those cliches in to consideration the 2 episodes did keep my attention for the entire time so I will be following this to see where they take it.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

syfy released in "on demand" via the web, much like 4OD and iplayer do in the UK with some series. So I'm not sure what that means for a "US pace" thread (hence my earlier use of spoiler text)

It's due for broadcast next friday