The BBC WM 95.6 Thread (part 2)

connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
Forum Member
I through to try to get more people posting I would start a new Thread continued from part 1 http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1735632&page=19

Comments

• connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Here's the last post from part 1
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Beaky the psychic chicken?

Is Mollie Green having a laff?
    Forum Member
    Mollie Green has put some more videos on you tube

BEAKY THE BBC WM PSYCHIC CHICKEN 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMzEtHFGI0

and her pre show warm up - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=725596470812395&set=vb.120319491340099&type=2&theater
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do worry for her sanity sometimes.

Lol
    Forum Member
    https://twitter.com/bbcwm/status/483939310295867393

I can't think of anyone who will replace him unless Danny Kelly does and Mollie Green gets the afternoon show.

If he is leaving but still a the BBC he might still work at the station doing cover work.
    Forum Member

I can't think of anyone who will replace him unless Danny Kelly does and Mollie Green gets the afternoon show.

If he is leaving but still a the BBC he might still work at the station doing cover work.

More News on it http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/adrian-goldberg-quit-bbc-wm-7355034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well our Mol would have to drop either one or both of her weekend shows, if she did take over afternoons.

Is Kelly any good at deputising for Goldie, as I've only heard him on his own show or that Sunday show he did a few years back?

On a different subject sadly, you have to feel sorry for Uncle Ed being hoodwinked like the rest of us!
  • magnus earsmagnus ears Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    What a loss .
    The only decent programme on the station.
  • tom_htom_h Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Sounds to me likes he's bored with WM again.
    Forum Member
    What a loss .
    The only decent programme on the station.

Iain Lee's and Mollie Green's shows on a Saturday are the best 2.
    tom_h wrote: »
    Sounds to me likes he's bored with WM again.

Well I think he wants to push his career on BBC 5 Live and Radio 4. He did say he wants to keep in with the station so he must like it there. I hope he will be covering breakfast I have always thought that he is better in those type of shows rather than the phone in ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and my brother were talking to a bloke in the pub tonight that was nearly the spit of Pete Morgan, down to the bald head, glasses & goatee!
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Me and my brother were talking to a bloke in the pub tonight that was nearly the spit of Pete Morgan, down to the bald head, glasses & goatee!

Can't be him unless you are not in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't be him unless you are not in the UK.

Well I didn't say it was him!
    Forum Member

Who will replace him ? here are the odds (My odds)
    Danny Kelly 1/2
    Richard Wilford 2/1
    Simon Bates 10/1
    Richard Bacon 10/1
    Mollie Green 12/1
    Jon Gaunt 20/1
    Mark Regan 50/1
    Shane O' Connor 50/1
    Pete Morgan 100/1
    Iain Lee 250/1
    Steve Dyson 500/1
    Ed Doolan 1,000/1
    Michael Fabricant 5,000/1
    Beaky the psychic chicken 10,000/1

Who is your money on ?
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liking the odds Connor! :D

Sad to hear Adrian Goldberg is calling time on his tenure at BBC WM. I'm hoping we'll get to hear a fair bit more of him on Radio 5 Live, given the changes (IMO improvements) they have made to their weekday schedule I can see myself tuning in to that station a fair bit more and would welcome Goldberg on board.

Having been a regular listener to Goldie's old talkSPORT show, I don't agree that phone-in radio is not a strong suit for him - I thought he did an excellent job on their overnight shift and also on the Saturday morning "Soap Box" show he initially did on WM when making his comeback on there. I didn't catch his WM mid-morning show as much as I'd like to (given my hours of work it is not a timeslot I am regularly able to listen to), but from what I caught of it I don't think the mix of phone calls and news items worked as well as it perhaps could have which might be where your reservations lie. I could imagine him doing well on a straight news breakfast show and what I heard of 5 Live Investigates was very strong. All the best to him in his career going forward.

As for who should replace him, I'm not sure who'd be that suitable for the kind of serious mid-morning show he was hosting from the names mentioned. Richard Wilford is to me probably best suited of the people listed (although I've heard good things about Iain Lee's work on BBC Local Radio that suggest that his new style may be a good fit), however he'd be a massive miss from BBC WM's sports coverage if he committed to a permanent weekday slot and this meant he'd have to scale back his evening commitments. That said, when he hosted his Sunday morning show he'd often still be involved in WM's Sunday afternoon football commentaries - so doing the odd evening shift at the football or the speedway shouldn't be beyond him judging by that.

Like many on here, I'd like to hear Mollie Green getting a regular show somewhere in WM's weekday schedule, although I think she'd be best suited to the afternoon programme currently occupied by Danny Kelly rather than a more serious mid-morning show.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who will replace him ? here are the odds (My odds)
    Danny Kelly 1/2
    Richard Wilford 2/1
    Simon Bates 10/1
    Richard Bacon 10/1
    Mollie Green 12/1
    Jon Gaunt 20/1
    Mark Regan 50/1
    Shane O' Connor 50/1
    Pete Morgan 100/1
    Iain Lee 250/1
    Steve Dyson 500/1
    Ed Doolan 1,000/1
    Michael Fabricant 5,000/1
    Beaky the psychic chicken 10,000/1

Who is your money on ?

I don't think he'll get it but what odds would you give on Graham Torrington? He did the 9am slot on BBC Bristol for a while.
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    I don't think he'll get it but what odds would you give on Graham Torrington? He did the 9am slot on BBC Bristol for a while.

500/1. The type of show he does is more like a Late night show and don't think he would be good at this show (But he is not good at the show he does now).

Having been a regular listener to Goldie's old talkSPORT show, I don't agree that phone-in radio is not a strong suit for him

Richard Wilford is to me probably best suited of the people listed (although I've heard good things about Iain Lee's work on BBC Local Radio that suggest that his new style may be a good fit), however he'd be a massive miss from BBC WM's sports coverage if he committed to a permanent weekday slot and this meant he'd have to scale back his evening commitments. That said, when he hosted his Sunday morning show he'd often still be involved in WM's Sunday afternoon football commentaries - so doing the odd evening shift at the football or the speedway shouldn't be beyond him judging by that.

Like many on here, I'd like to hear Mollie Green getting a regular show somewhere in WM's weekday schedule, although I think she'd be best suited to the afternoon programme currently occupied by Danny Kelly rather than a more serious mid-morning show.

On the 1st point I think that AG is very good at the work he does for BBC radio 4 &5 but I think he is ok on phone in shows.

I would love Iain Lee to get the gig but I don't think he would take it because he has a show which is doing very well on another BBC Local radio station and with the fact he has children who at school age and a wife who works for BBC news based it London and doing Sky News paper review on a Sunday and the Big Brother after show on a Saturday which are also both based in London he would want to stay where he was living and to travel to Brum every day would be a lot for him.

If Richard was to get the show I think he would still keep his hand in with the sports team like he does when he is covering a presenter for a week or 2 and last year when Pete Morgan was ill he sat in for him for 4 weeks and still took part in the sport coverage to. If he was to have the morning show I would think that the sports team would find someone else to fill the role maybe Jonny Palmer or even ask Dan Wheeler back

Mollie Green would be great on the afternoon show. The reason why I put DK and MR on the list was because they have covered for AG over the last 2 years. Simon Bates is out of work at the moment and was based in the midlands and has done talk shows on the old Talk Radio (now talkSPORT) and IMO was good at it. Jon Gaunt may be asked back but I hope not. Pete Morgan I think would be a good replacement and RW could move to the breakfast show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Richard was to get the show I think he would still keep his hand in with the sports team like he does when he is covering a presenter for a week or 2 and last year when Pete Morgan was ill he sat in for him for 4 weeks and still took part in the sport coverage to. If he was to have the morning show I would think that the sports team would find someone else to fill the role maybe Jonny Palmer or even ask Dan Wheeler back

I think if Richard Wilford (or one of their other three main football commentators for that mater) took over as the presenter of one of the weekday shows permanently, they'd look to expand the roles of one of their younger commentators who makes slightly less frequent appearances on WM Sport - Tom Marlow and Steve Hermon probably being the two most likeliest, although I know Jonny Palmer covers the odd match for them and so have Adam Bridge and Terry Goodwin in the recent past. Does Andrew Dawkins do much for them newsreading wise these days? He's not been involved with their football coverage for quite some while.

As for Dan Wheeler, his freelance talkSPORT Live commitments don't amount to much more than one Saturday afternoon commentary per week - he still does county cricket commentaries for BBC Hereford & Worcester during the summers and I reckon it may be feasible for him to fit in the odd midweek football/speedway commentary.

I just hope that if Wilford was given the mid-morning programme (or one of the other shows in the event of a reshuffle) he'd be able to keep up his football commentary commitments at weekends as Paul Franks does.
    Forum Member
    I think if Richard Wilford (or one of their other three main football commentators for that mater) took over as the presenter of one of the weekday shows permanently, they'd look to expand the roles of one of their younger commentators who makes slightly less frequent appearances on WM Sport - Tom Marlow and Steve Hermon probably being the two most likeliest, although I know Jonny Palmer covers the odd match for them and so have Adam Bridge and Terry Goodwin in the recent past. Does Andrew Dawkins do much for them newsreading wise these days? He's not been involved with their football coverage for quite some while.

I think Adam and Tom have good jobs and just do the sport on WM for a bit more work and Steve is a good newsreader and won an award for it. As far as I remember I have never heard Andrew read any of the news on the station.

I also see Richie Anderson will present a new Saturday Early Breakfast show at 5am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Adam and Tom have good jobs and just do the sport on WM for a bit more work and Steve is a good newsreader and won an award for it. As far as I remember I have never heard Andrew read any of the news on the station.

I also see Richie Anderson will present a new Saturday Early Breakfast show at 5am.

Thanks for the information. When he was with Free Radio, Steve Hermon use to combine his newsreading duties on there with regular football commentaries for Free Radio 80s - he used to commentate on games almost every Saturday and on quite a few midweek evenings too. I rate him as a commentator so if one of the four main WM lead football commentators had to cut back on their WM Sport work due to landing a regular presenting job, I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more of him.

With Adam Bridge, he's one of the most prominent five or six commentators on talkSPORT Live (an international radio/audio Premier League commentary service ran by the British station of the same name if you're not familiar with it) and does considerably more commentaries for them than Dan Wheeler does.

Regarding Andrew Dawkins, I think I'm right in saying that he is/was responsible for writing the Midlands news and sports articles you see on the BBC.co.uk website and their TV text service (formerly Ceefax). I read on the Radio Football Commentators and Reporters thread last season that he commentated on a couple of Burton Albion matches for BBC Radio Derby around the turn of the year - although as that station isn't regularly discussed on there, I'm not sure if that became a regular thing for him. Does anyone on here know?
    Forum Member
    I think there are several realistic options.

Danny Kelly is the regular cover for Adrian's current mid-morning show and therefore knows the format and when I've heard him cover does it well. He's also well known from his work on WM and as far as I can tell pretty well liked and therefore if Danny was to get the show I can imagine the listening base would remain similar. If Danny were to get mid mornings I would hope that Mollie would get his afternoon show and probably lose Saturday breakfast to Michelle Dawes.

I can't see Richard Wilson taking the show, he seems happy with his sport coverage.

The problem with a lot of WM listeners is they seem to hate change and therefore if somebody they consider 'controversial' was to get the slot then the local papers would grab it and run with it.

Although in the real world I can see WM removing a slot from its schedules and running something like this

5 - 7 Early Breakfast
    7 - 10 Breakfast
    10 - 1 Mid Mornings
    1 - 4 Afternoons
    4 - 7 Drive
    7 - 10 Evenings
    10 - 1 Nights

Should save some money? I would love to see Iain Lee on a full time slot on WM but at the same time I love listening to his 3CR Breakfast show. He's superb. Brings humour to the mornings but also brings the facts and stories. He also works very well with his team on there. It's unlikely too as he has television commitments in London. Saying all that I'd prefer him on national radio as that's where I honestly believe he belongs.

I don't see why BBC Local Radio has to be so dull and serious. We need characters like Mollie and Iain and they need to stop aiming the programming at older listeners and instead simply focus on the area they're supposed to serve.
    Forum Member

I don't see why BBC Local Radio has to be so dull and serious. We need characters like Mollie and Iain and they need to stop aiming the programming at older listeners and instead simply focus on the area they're supposed to serve.

Can you please make your way over to BBC Broadcasting House?

If you like Iain's type of shows maybe give Nick Abbot a listen on LBC he is very good Friday and Saturday nights at 10pm http://app.musicradio.com/lbcnational/on-air/player/
    or on DAB.
    Forum Member
    I think there are several realistic options.

so you don't think that Michael Fabricant or Beaky the psychic chicken will present the show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so you don't think that Michael Fabricant or Beaky the psychic chicken will present the show?

Depends who you get more sense out of?

My money is on the chicken!
    Forum Member
    BBC WM have announced that Sunny and Shay are taking Danny's 2-4 slot Monday to Thursday and Iain Lee is doing it on Fridays. I can only assume that Danny is replacing Goldie in the mornings. What an odd choice to do the afternoon show, I really thought our 'Mol would finally return to weekdays.

From BBC WM's facebook.

"Sunny and Shay Grewal are joining BBC WM, taking over the afternoon show from Monday to Thursday, from 2pm.

The presenters will bring their own brand of personality and fun to the airwaves of Birmingham and the Black Country, getting out and about from 25 August and visiting the people and the places that make this region great.

You may remember the couple from Channel 4's Bafta-nominated show The Family.
    Comedian Iain Lee will present the show on Fridays.

www.bbc.co.uk/wm"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of them!