Options

2015- Elaine v Shirley and The Battle for The Vic.

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,554
Forum Member
✭✭
Maria Friedman was a revelation as Elaine and many of us hope she will become a regular next summer.

Once Elaine finds out that Shirley is Mick's Mum and the Grandmother of Linda's kids I can see Fireworks between Elaine & Shirley and a battle for the Vic.

Comments

• Options
    AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see why there would be fireworks between Elaine and Shirley specifically. I doubt it is going to have much of an emotional impact on her. Yes she will be surprised but I don't see what cause she would have to fight with Shirley...
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I don't think they will go head to head with regards to the Vic. I think the reveal will explain a lot to the family actually. And hopefully will lay Shirley bare for the audience to see. Elaine and Shirley don't like each other because of the fire right? I still sense there is more to that fire you know, it has been mentioned several times. It definitely seems to be the foundation as to why Shirley isn't in favour. I would like to see some scenes between Elaine and Shirley after the reveal. And hopefully find out what 'that' fire was about.:)
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's because of the fire. Rather than refer to Shirley by her name, Elaine called her the arsonist. I can see a battle for the Vic actually. Elaine will no doubt say what Linda would have liked to when they were forced to put her name above the door. Barbara Windsor also told DTC to "get her into my pub."
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see more of Elaine. I like the Carters in the Vic and Elaine would fit in there especially now that Linda needs support.
  • Options
    Imogen_GaleontiImogen_Galeonti Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Why do people assume shirley didn't start the fire? She did! Shirley is not a saint..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do people assume shirley didn't start the fire? She did! Shirley is not a saint..

It's not assuming that she didn't do it, I just think there is more to it, it has been referenced to so many times and there was Mick talking about the insurance to Alfie...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley needs to hurry up and leave. What will be left for her after Mickgate? Jack shit. I hope Shirley and Babe leave around Christmas as well as Sylvie and Stan. Swiftly followed by Tina and Tosh; and then Dean and perhaps Lee.

Elaine, Mick, Linda, Johnny and Nancy are just the perfect Carter family. Elaine should co-run the pub with Andy (Mick's dad), when he rocks up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ross1998 wrote: »
    Shirley needs to hurry up and leave. What will be left for her after Mickgate? Jack shit. I hope Shirley and Babe leave around Christmas as well as Sylvie and Stan. Swiftly followed by Tina and Tosh; and then Dean and perhaps Lee.

Elaine, Mick, Linda, Johnny and Nancy are just the perfect Carter family. Elaine should co-run the pub with Andy (Mick's dad), when he rocks up.

I hope Shirley stays for a long time. There is a lot of scope for stories for her. Her and Mick building a relationship as mother and son, the aftermath of Linda/Dean, a possible return for Carly, potential casting of Andy, Shirley and her mother, more info on the fire, a reconciliation between Shirley/Linda, more development....she was the original Carter and i'm glad a producer has finally decided to delve into Shirley's past and explore her as an individual. I foresee lots of possible stories for her, should Linda Henry stay. (which I hope she does). :)

Oh and I hope Babe stays too. Plus i'm looking forward to meeting Sylvie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ross, Shirley is DTC favourite character, she ain't going nowhere love.,
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member

Unless I've missed an episode we haven't seen Sylvie yet and you want her gone already? Shirley was given a whole family who were given the Vic. If Linda Henry wants to stay Shirley will be around for a long time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »

I would have said Sharon and Linda were his faves, from his Twitter page.

Though he does rate Shirley (along with many others). And quite rightly so. She is awesome imo. :)
  • Options
    Imogen_GaleontiImogen_Galeonti Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I would have said Sharon and Linda were his faves, from his Twitter page.

Though he does rate Shirley (along with many others). And quite rightly so. She is awesome imo. :)
    I agree that Shirley is brilliant but I don't want the show to overuse Shirley like this year. I would like 2015 to focus on all characters equally but nope I think it will be another heavy Carter year.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    I am heartily sick and tired of the Carters, to be honest.
    They really need thinning out or we will end up with another Branning situation,
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never liked Shirley in The Vic even when she was just a barmaid. In reality no one would drink at a pub with someone like that serving the drinks. Her miserable scowly expression and horrible comments towards the customers would drive anyone away. DTC let his love for Linda Henry blind him to the fact that Shirley as landlady is not a concept that works.

Elaine would be perfect. Mick has become stale already. I could see Elaine and Linda running The Vic together eventually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree that Shirley is brilliant but I don't want the show to overuse Shirley like this year. I would like 2015 to focus on all characters equally but nope I think it will be another heavy Carter year.

I think it's more been Mick and Linda who have been overused. Shirley has been more prominent but then she disappears for periods of time so it sort of balances out. Mick and Linda have had their own storylines and have featured in quite a few others as well, I think they have featured in the most episodes too. I know they are at the centre of the show but they should take a backseat for a bit. I think you are right about next year though, especially if Linda keeps the baby...
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't wait for these to cross paths again but for us to see them on screen for the first time.

Naturally, Elaine hasn't forgiven her for the fire Shirley claims was an accident.
  • Options
    adamo8adamo8 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I really hope Elaine comes back soon as I thought she was a really good character.
    But I don't feel she will be used as much as other carter characters.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adamo8 wrote: »
    I really hope Elaine comes back soon as I thought she was a really good character.
    But I don't feel she will be used as much as other carter characters.

She will likely not be used a lot as Maria is essentially booked up until next summer. So they can fit her appearances into Maria's schedule. She is a three time laurence olivier award winning stage actress after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Elaine coming back permanently?
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends on what happens with Linda Henry's trial in February.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Depends on what happens with Linda Henry's trial in February.

Yes it will depend on that.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Is Elaine coming back permanently?

She was pretty awful on her second visit, acting wise. Way OTT. She needs to tone it down or stick to theatre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    She was pretty awful on her second visit, acting wise. Way OTT. She needs to tone it down or stick to theatre.

She is a stage actress at heart.
  • Options
    eastboy1980eastboy1980 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loathe shirley and more elaine is always a bonus but in a battle for the vic, elaine wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Plus she's already got her own pub
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep her recurring.