Steven as Project Manger

Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
Forum Member
Would have been an amazing episode :(

Sugar should have just fired the two useless girls and take Steven up on his offer of being PM.. we were robbed as viewers.

Comments

• TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven shouldn't have gone IMO. He only went because there was no way he was ever going to win.

Ella Jade should have gone on the task basis, Sarah should have gone on the overall basis. On the basis that there was a few extra candidates, I'd have fired both of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sugar should have just fired the two useless girls and take Steven up on his offer of being PM.. we were robbed as viewers.

Steven wasn't exactly useful, though, was he? I thought they'd keep him on because he's funny to watch, but it's pretty difficult to argue that he was ever an asset to any team he was part of.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Alan's hands were tied. Steven was entertaining but that really was all he had going for him and Alan couldn't have feasibly produced any reason in the boardroom to explain why he was going to keep Steven. The poor guy just kept on providing more rope to hang himself with.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Steven. Shame he wasn't kept on so he could be pm in the next task.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad he's gone, tbh. I found him really tough to watch.

I've never been a fan of the most over-the-top personalities on this show.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sugar was using this week to remove candidates who weren't going to be credible candidates he could have fired about 10 of them.

Judged on this week's performance alone, neither Sarah nor Steven deserved to be fired.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven PMing would've been awesome! But he did deserve to go based on that woeful pitch.
    TBH I'm not sure Sarah nor Ella should've gone with him - the failure to get the vital info about the video was neatly dumped on Sarah when it really should've been Lauren as sub team leader. Still I suspect they were all dead wood in a series that needs some serious trimming!
    Sad to hear of Ella's dad passing though. RIP.
  • annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really disappointed about this, and also we will never see Steven vs Claude :(
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Steven PMing would've been awesome! But he did deserve to go based on that woeful pitch.
    TBH I'm not sure Sarah nor Ella should've gone with him - the failure to get the vital info about the video was neatly dumped on Sarah when it really should've been Lauren as sub team leader. Still I suspect they were all dead wood in a series that needs some serious trimming!
    Sad to hear of Ella's dad passing though. RIP.
    Steven as a PM would have been either catastrophic or a genius. Either way it's a shame we won't see it.

I agree that as "time-keeper" Sarah wasn't responsible for adding a title and description. She claimed she'd reminded Lauren about it but didn't stick to her guns when Lauren denied that so I doubt she did. She seems to be a fantasist.

As for it being a fatal error, it would be easily fixed. You would just upload again adding the title and description (the latter being key to getting hits). Whoever had the upload screen open was the one at fault. Title and Description would be empty fields obviously needing to be filled in. I don't think it would even allow you to upload without a title.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    As for it being a fatal error, it would be easily fixed. You would just upload again adding the title and description (the latter being key to getting hits). Whoever had the upload screen open was the one at fault. Title and Description would be empty fields obviously needing to be filled in. I don't think it would even allow you to upload without a title.
    You don't even have to upload it again, you can just edit the synopsis and it takes all of about 30 seconds to do. I don't remember seeing either of the teams actually uploading it themselves so it could have been that some IT staff actually upped it and just asked them what they wanted it to say beforehand. I think the whole point of it was to show them what the consequences of little, albeit glaringly obvious in this case, mistakes can be.

As far as Steven going, I do think it was the right decision. I think it had the potential to become the "Steven Show" as time went on and the numbers where whittled down. Yes, it would have been undeniably epic to see him against Claude (and Margaret because she can be quite savage). I absolutely loved his reaction though when he was told he was going. It looked like his head was about to explode and I actually thought he was going to hit SA. It wouldn't surprise me if he turns up on This Morning hawking the phone in competitions seeing as they had something Apprentice related for the competition a few days ago.

As far as the combined business plans go, I can't see SA going into the care home sector as that's a potential minefield for rules and regulations, not to mention the fact that £250K wouldn't really contribute much when you work out the fact that you need quite a large building, modifications, support equipment, certifications and permits, etc. Online dating is relatively difficult to get into, and the established and well known players dominate the market. There would have to be an incredible USP for a dating site, and given that she didn't seem to have any technical know how seemed to count against her. If I'm not wrong, hasn't SA already invested in a video production set-up in the Young Apprentice (I think it was a blonde lass who wanted to become a director or something and was doing film studies).

It's good to see that SA has stuck to his tried and tested formula and the ethnic minorities are getting picked off again early on (that's sarcasm before anyone jumps on me). Apart from Susan Ma (the Chinese lass who actually seemed to be fairly clued up), I don't think there has been many that have got as far as the interviews let alone past them. I really do wonder if he has suppressed racism or xenophobia sometimes.
  • TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    It's good to see that SA has stuck to his tried and tested formula and the ethnic minorities are getting picked off again early on (that's sarcasm before anyone jumps on me). Apart from Susan Ma (the Chinese lass who actually seemed to be fairly clued up), I don't think there has been many that have got as far as the interviews let alone past them. I really do wonder if he has suppressed racism or xenophobia sometimes.

That's nonsense, IMO. The final two in Season 1 were both ethnic minorities.
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not sarcasm. You feel that ethnic minorities are being picked off early due to racism, so it's a statement of fact as far as you're concerned. It would only be sarcasm if you felt that ethnic minorities were being unjustly kept in the show and you disagreed with that.

Either way, I think you're talking nonsense.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't even have to upload it again, you can just edit the synopsis and it takes all of about 30 seconds to do. I don't remember seeing either of the teams actually uploading it themselves so it could have been that some IT staff actually upped it and just asked them what they wanted it to say beforehand. I think the whole point of it was to show them what the consequences of little, albeit glaringly obvious in this case, mistakes can be.
    Hardly a lesson for them because the "mistake" was easily fixable (and must have been fixed or the video wouldn't have had any hits). They were still at the computer screen when they realised the error.
    As far as the combined business plans go, I can't see SA going into the care home sector as that's a potential minefield for rules and regulations, not to mention the fact that £250K wouldn't really contribute much when you work out the fact that you need quite a large building, modifications, support equipment, certifications and permits, etc. Online dating is relatively difficult to get into, and the established and well known players dominate the market. There would have to be an incredible USP for a dating site, and given that she didn't seem to have any technical know how seemed to count against her. If I'm not wrong, hasn't SA already invested in a video production set-up in the Young Apprentice (I think it was a blonde lass who wanted to become a director or something and was doing film studies).
    Running care homes is actually a very good business to be in and the number of potential customers is increasing as we live longer. Duncan Bannatyne made a fortune with them.
    If either Steven or Nurun were clearly good candidates fired with no good reason then you might have a genuine point (but then it wouldn't be sarcasm). But they weren't. Steven was fired for being impossible to work with. Nurun for being weak and ineffectual. Six other "non-minority" candidates have also been fired. And if it really was only sarcasm why seriously wonder whether Sugar is a closet racist?
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven being a PM will be some good TV but bad for the show itself, but seriously, the Apprentice this year looks like a circus. Apart from Solomon there is no stand-out at all.
  • Joel_BJoel_B Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Steven shouldn't have been fired. Except that he was another one who talked himself into being fired.

Good bit of advice for Steven would be to say five words of what your saying and then shut up. He came out with good points and then just rambled on.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member

Tim, Saira, Ansell, Tre, Lohit, Yasmina, Arjun (although as a Junior Apprentice candidate there weren't interviews, but he did win), Joanna, Jamie and Susan (who you mentioned). Admittedly there haven't been as many in recent years, but I think that's just coincidence, there have been plenty over time. I respect Lord Sugar for not allowing political correctness to come in the way of finding the right people; I'm all for equal opportunities, but not for keeping someone in simply because they are ethnic minority when someone who isn't would be better. Besides, Lord Sugar is an ethnic minority himself (he's Jewish).
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sorry to see him go as he was TV gold. I would have loved to have seen him as project manager.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately his offer is a standard defence when you know that you're going to be fired. Lord S has heard it for nine seasons and is probably royally peed off with it by now.

Especially as he trotted it out straight after the "I have learnt from everything you've told me" cliché, it just showed he was trying to play Lord Sugar.

I have a feeling he would have survived if he'd just shut up.

All that said the show will be a lot duller now :(
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim, Saira, Ansell, Tre, Lohit, Yasmina, Arjun (although as a Junior Apprentice candidate there weren't interviews, but he did win), Joanna, Jamie and Susan (who you mentioned). Admittedly there haven't been as many in recent years, but I think that's just coincidence, there have been plenty over time. I respect Lord Sugar for not allowing political correctness to come in the way of finding the right people; I'm all for equal opportunities, but not for keeping someone in simply because they are ethnic minority when someone who isn't would be better. Besides, Lord Sugar is an ethnic minority himself (he's Jewish).

I know you're a completist George, so I'll just add that James Max from Series 1 is also Jewish.
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    I know you're a completist George, so I'll just add that James Max from Series 1 is also Jewish.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :)
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not sarcasm. You feel that ethnic minorities are being picked off early due to racism, so it's a statement of fact as far as you're concerned. It would only be sarcasm if you felt that ethnic minorities were being unjustly kept in the show and you disagreed with that.

Either way, I think you're talking nonsense.

Its probably just coincedence, but Steven was scapegoated in a similar manner to Duane a couple of years ago
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Its probably just coincedence, but Steven was scapegoated in a similar manner to Duane a couple of years ago

Not really that similar. Duane was fired because he was directly at fault for how the task failed. Steven was only loosely responsible for the task's failure (by messing up the pitch to the website, which would probably have ended in failure anyway because they didn't like the video), but got fired seemingly because he annoyed Lord Sugar in the boardroom.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    It's the tension between those who value good TV and those who want this to be at least attempting to be serious and don't like the more jokey characters.

For good TV value Sarah nor Steven should have been fired.
    Forum Member
    It's the tension between those who value good TV and those who want this to be at least attempting to be serious and don't like the more jokey characters.

For good TV value Sarah nor Steven should have been fired.

Yeah, but I don't think that's really the intention of the programme. It doesn't do Lord Sugar any good to have people in who just make entertaining telly. This is not BIg Brother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, but I don't think that's really the intention of the programme. It doesn't do Lord Sugar any good to have people in who just make entertaining telly. This is not BIg Brother.

How does it not do him any good? It's unlikely he's totally indifferent to the viewing figures, which I would imagine are bolstered by having a lot of incompetent goons flailing around.