Options

Should Tess Be Axed?

Comments

• Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    No
    dennisboy wrote: »
    I'm really not a fan of Tess, and I think she needs to go. She's a very awkward presenter, and when she did ITT Claudia showed that she can do a live show perfectly on her own. I think Claudia should take over as main presenter while Zoe is co-presenter.
    n.o. !
    if It ain't broke don't mend it....tess had to put up with brucie in his declining years, and now gives space to the tomfoolery of claudia..she knows what she is doing!!
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Don't Mind
    I don't mind if she goes or not. I want Claudia to stay, but I would want Zoe to replace Tess if she went. ;)
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    No
    She's not incompetent just mediocre so no I wouldn't want her axed.

The way I watch the show I pay full attention only to the dances and one or two other bits and I hardly notice Tess tbh.
  • Options
    OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Bruce leaving the show exposed Tess for the rubbish presenter she is. Would love Zoe and Claudia presenting it next year, not that it would matter too much as I have decided to give up reality TV in 2015.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Ocado wrote: »
    Bruce leaving the show exposed Tess for the rubbish presenter she is. Would love Zoe and Claudia presenting it next year, not that it would matter too much as I have decided to give up reality TV in 2015.

I like Claudia but don't think she would be good in the lead role.

I suspect that Zoe is happy doing It Takes Two and knows that if she took over the lead role on the main programme then within a week or so she would be getting the same attacks that Tess gets.
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    No
    Imho Tess has earned her place on Strictly, but please get rid of the ditzy Mrs Winkle, she is as much use as a chocolate frying pan and as funny as Influenza......
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Tess spent the last few years looking after Bruce so (imo) deserved her shot as the lead presenter. I don't know if it is just Bruces influence or the producers but she should drop the jokes and I wish (wish,wish,wish) she would stop the boring, monotone monologue she keeps up while the couple are making their way to the judges and getting their breath back. I am sure it's just nerves on Tess' part but silence can indeed be golden! She isn't really saying much worth hearing - and can't hear much for the applause anyway so just a few words would suffice.
    Having said that I voted no she should not be axed but given another year to settle in - I hope she takes some of the (constructive) criticism on board though. It is an important job fronting one of the BBC's most popular programmes so needs to be handled well.
  • Options
    ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I'm still thinking about Graham Norton showing up one week in the audience with his mum. It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing he'd do unless he was thinking about taking the job.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Elsa wrote: »
    I'm still thinking about Graham Norton showing up one week in the audience with his mum. It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing he'd do unless he was thinking about taking the job.

I doubt it. Loads of celebs love the show so I think that, he probably went because he got the opportunity to.

I think that, Tess, Claudia and Zoe did a great job in their respective jobs, this year. I hope that they all keep their positions, next year. IMO, people should be nice and remember that this was Tess' first year, in the main role so needs time to grow into the role. I really like her as the lead presenter. She will only get better.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I doubt it. Loads of celebs love the show so I think that, he probably went because he got the opportunity to.

I think that, Tess, Claudia and Zoe did a great job in their respective jobs, this year. I hope that they all keep their positions, next year. IMO, people should be nice and remember that this was Tess' first year, in the main role so needs time to grow into the role. I really like her as the lead presenter. She will only get better.

Lol. This is DS. :D:D
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Lol. This is DS. :D:D

Lol, very true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »

I hope not! I don't think he would be a good fit at all. :o
    I like him on his own show but I don't think he would be a popular choice for Strictly.

As another poster has said, loads of famous TV faces and celebs are spotted in the audience. That doesn't mean they have been offered the gig - otherwise it could be a choice of Michelle Keegan or Greg Wallace for next year! :o:D
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't Mind
    90% of Tess's problems would be solved by a better script & she stop passing comments on the contestants ability, she is not a judge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    90% of Tess's problems would be solved by a better script & she stop passing comments on the contestants ability, she is not a judge.

I agree with you.
    She is no longer Bruce's on-screen caretaker, but for some reason has been made to take over his naff unfunny jokes.
    They should allow her to present the program straight, where I think she would be better - and leave the jokes to Claudia or Zoe, who I'm sure ad-lib half of it, but even if they don't they are both naturally funny. Tess is not really.
  • Options
    JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind if she goes or not. I want Claudia to stay, but I would want Zoe to replace Tess if she went. ;)

I think having Zoe and Claudia would raise the intellectual level of the show, although whether that would be appropriate for this lowbrow show is debatable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JohnCurry wrote: »
    I think having Zoe and Claudia would raise the intellectual level of the show, although whether that would be appropriate for this lowbrow show is debatable.

Wasn't Zoe a former ladette of the 90s? Hardly high-brow..........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Wasn't Zoe a former ladette of the 90s? Hardly high-brow..........

It sounds yet another way of claiming that they are more intelligent because they have Southern accents.
  • Options
    JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It sounds yet another way of claiming that they are more intelligent because they have Southern accents.

Actually it works the other way round - intelligent people tend to get rid of their regional accents. I don't know why this should be so but it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Actually it works the other way round - intelligent people tend to get rid of their regional accents. I don't know why this should be so but it is.

Excuse me for going off topic. :blush:

A family member born and bred in Aberdeen (and the accent to match) now sounds more royal than the royals. I'd love if she was given a (non-serious) blow to the head and woke up speaking normally. :D

Sorry about that.:blush:
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    No
    Probably because "intelligent" people, as you put it, tend to be more mobile and may move away from their home area to work. As you interact on a daily basis with people with different accents, yours changes.

Those in higher positions in businesses tend to have been educated at places like Eton or Harrow (David Cameron and those high up in government spring to mind) and keep their "posh" accents, while those around them from more humble backgrounds change theirs. Not a lot you can do about it, except consciously hang on to your original accent, because the change occurs naturally.

Good example, me and my brothers, who all started with definite east London accents. Mum and Dad stayed in the east end and retained their accent. I was a teacher in a few areas of the country and my accent has been water down, but I don't sound "posh". My younger brother had an executive job with a very well-known international company and spent time abroad; he sounds "posher" than me. My older brother was a top civil servant, mixing with cabinet members and the like, and almost sounds like royalty.

It's all to do with physical and social mobility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Probably because "intelligent" people, as you put it, tend to be more mobile and may move away from their home area to work. As you interact on a daily basis with people with different accents, yours changes.

Those in higher positions in businesses tend to have been educated at places like Eton or Harrow (David Cameron and those high up in government spring to mind) and keep their "posh" accents, while those around them from more humble backgrounds change theirs. Not a lot you can do about it, except consciously hang on to your original accent, because the change occurs naturally.

Good example, me and my brothers, who all started with definite east London accents. Mum and Dad stayed in the east end and retained their accent. I was a teacher in a few areas of the country and my accent has been water down, but I don't sound "posh". My younger brother had an executive job with a very well-known international company and spent time abroad; he sounds "posher" than me. My older brother was a top civil servant, mixing with cabinet members and the like, and almost sounds like royalty.

It's all to do with physical and social mobility.

Whilst I agree with many points you make {not all ;-) ) pretention/re-invention drives me bonkers.*

*See post above.

I am very well educated and I'd be
    furious if 'my accent' were to be derided.
    I'm me......Glasewgian accent and all.
    Don't like it..................**** off then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There I was thinking that Professor Brian Cox was intelligent but I must have been mistaken because he has not changed his Oldham accent for a cockney one. Perhaps some people would prefer a world full of Stephen Hawkins clones.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't Mind
    lundavra wrote: »
    There I was thinking that Professor Brian Cox was intelligent but I must have been mistaken because he has not changed his Oldham accent for a cockney one. Perhaps some people would prefer a world full of Stephen Hawkins clones.

However, even with Brian Cox the accent is softened rather than broad Oldhamese.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    No
    Monaogg wrote: »
    However, even with Brian Cox the accent is softened rather than broad Oldhamese.
    Exactly - and he mixes with students from all over the UK, if not the world, and that will have an effect, whether you like it or not. It just happens.

Look at the majority of people who emigrate to Australia. Within a very short time they develop an Australian accent, which they're not aware of until an English relative points it out.

Even more extreme is John Barrowman - Canadian accent until he gets with Scottish people and then the Canadian disappears and he reverts to his original Scottish accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Exactly - and he mixes with students from all over the UK, if not the world, and that will have an effect, whether you like it or not. It just happens.

Surprising that no one claiming it is 'fake' because of being a mixture of accents as happens with Tess Daly and some other people who have a mixed accent that changes at times.