Options

Could an international special of Strictly work?

Guapacha2007Guapacha2007 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had a dream last night that Strictly did this, I wondered if anyone else thinks it sounds like a good idea, if we had a one off special of Strictly, featuring returning celebrities from our version of Strictly competing against celebrities from Strictly/DWTS from around the world.

We've already had two DWTS celebrities compete in a Christmas special back in 2005, and Ukraine had a special episode featuring celebrities from their version competing against other countries contestants. I really enjoyed (although not everyone else did ;-)) the two Eurovision Dance Contests in 2007 and 2008, if Strictly organised an international special along the lines of a low key, smaller budget Eurovision Dance Contest, do you think there would be any interest. It would be great to see couples from other versions of Strictly, as well as various styles of dance that feature in the other international versions of Strictly that haven't featured in the UK yet.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could work - in fact could be interesting, especially if they include India with its Bollywood style dancing. But think they would need to have an International panel otherwise UK would undoubtedly win and then we'd get "fixed!!!!" bandied about, even if win was justified.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that 'celebs' I don't know would be that interesting for me, although having said that I would probably watch. Admittedly, I don't always 'know' the SCD celebs, but the names or the things they appear in are usually familiar and when I see them I think "Oh, it's her/him".
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I would love to see this! :D
  • Options
    luigy39luigy39 Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not know if that concept would work, but Strictly is working on a one day none-celebrities special show to dance with some of their pro dancers to be aired I believe around February.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luigy39 wrote: »
    I do not know if that concept would work, but Strictly is working on a one day none-celebrities special show to dance with some of their pro dancers to be aired I believe around February.

There's some info on that here, it sounds like it will be an interesting programme:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/peoples-strictly

It says there will be four 60 minute episodes, I'm not sure if they are perhaps showing the couples training in the first three programmes, and then them performing in the last episode?
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad Strictly doesn't have the token Americans (eg CBB and IACGMOH) and wouldn't be interested in an International version.

Sorry OP. :p
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad Strictly doesn't have the token Americans (eg CBB and IACGMOH) and wouldn't be interested in an International version.

Sorry OP. :p

Not this year maybe, but they have in previous years (Jerry Hall, Michelle Williams) and have had other 'international' celebs (Peter Schmeichel, Martina Hingis, Nancy Dellolio, Jason Donovan)
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they actually had a champion of champions version, it'd be interesting to see the likes of Jill, Kara and Louis (and maybe some top runners up like Pixie, Natalie and Denise) up against, say Nicole Scherzinger, Meryl Davis and Shawn Johnson... (and maybe some top runners up like Mel B and Kathryn Jenkins!)

Only difficulty I could see is voting- it would have to be all online, unless they have two separate phone lines in America and the UK, and then, somehow, combine them...
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    If they actually had a champion of champions version, it'd be interesting to see the likes of Jill, Kara and Louis (and maybe some top runners up like Pixie, Natalie and Denise) up against, say Nicole Scherzinger, Meryl Davis and Shawn Johnson... (and maybe some top runners up like Mel B and Kathryn Jenkins!)

Only difficulty I could see is voting- it would have to be all online, unless they have two separate phone lines in America and the UK, and then, somehow, combine them...

That would be a great show to watch, but probably not a great competition. As you say, the voting would be a problem - the imbalance in size of the US and the UK voting pools for a start would give all the US contestants an advantage I would have thought. Also, I'm not sure how the judges scoring would work as DWTS seems to be a very different style to SCD and not strict on the same things etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    That would be a great show to watch, but probably not a great competition. As you say, the voting would be a problem - the imbalance in size of the US and the UK voting pools for a start would give all the US contestants an advantage I would have thought. Also, I'm not sure how the judges scoring would work as DWTS seems to be a very different style to SCD and not strict on the same things etc.

Well, the two Americans finished 5th & 6th in the 2005 Christmas Special hosted here. It would also have to be shown at a time that accommodates both, given that DWTS normally runs at 1-3am in the UK... ;)

The judges are only "nicer" on DWTS because Craig isn't there, and Len is usually the "harsher judge" on DWTS, he's a lot nicer on SCD.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    yes, this sounds like a good idea! i am sure the differentials could be negotiated and i think it would be a hit with the viewers.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't want each nation bringing in even more ringers just so they can win the international version. Anyway if it is done we might as well try it with the Aussies first as they'll take to the likes of Julian Clary and Mark Ramprakash a bit more readily than the Yanks would.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an interesting idea, but I think it would have to be made up of celebs with international reputations, otherwise many of them would be complete strangers to whatever audiences it is broadcast to (and I assume it would go out to every country that stages the show). That cuts the list of likely candidates down dramatically. On the other hand, they would only have to sign up for a few weeks training and one show, so it might be possible.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camis wrote: »
    Not this year maybe, but they have in previous years (Jerry Hall, Michelle Williams) and have had other 'international' celebs (Peter Schmeichel, Martina Hingis, Nancy Dellolio, Jason Donovan)

I stand corrected but in my defence all of those people are very well known in the UK. :)
  • Options
    MissT10MissT10 Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    This was tried a few years ago, and wasn't very successful.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/08_august/08/dance.shtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissT10 wrote: »
    This was tried a few years ago, and wasn't very successful.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/08_august/08/dance.shtml

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of EDC :)
    I loved the two contests the BBC did, and was disappointed we never got a third edition, especially after the improvement from 2007 to 2008, and Azerbaijan's plans for hosting 2009 sounded really good. The two contests they did got over 30 million viewers worldwide, so they were doing something right!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way I could see it working is without a public vote. Have the judges rank the couples, maybe the audience vote (assuming they fill it with people from all competing nations, like the CIN one has all children.) and the lowest scoring goes home. That way, even if one nation isn't watching live, their nation won't suffer.

Eurovision wouldn't really work since Australia and America are the two biggest exports of Strictly...
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd inevitably turn into some sort of impromptu Derek Hough Worship Ceremony no thx.