Frankie Bridge announces pregnancy and pulls out of tour!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    2009 Tour

Rachel 26 wins 14 seconds

Tom 1 win 2 seconds

That's consistent with the theory that Tom wouldn't have won the main competition were it not for the Showdance Camilla came up with. People who tuned in just for the Final, and voted for Tom, would have been unlikely to buy tickets for the Tour.

One imagines the majority of people attending a given Tour are people who followed the winner of the main competition - who on the Tour vote for the celeb rather than the routine.

Harry Judd won 30 of the Tour shows. Neither his fans nor the judges saw anything wrong with him dragging Aliona into the centre of the floor during his AT with his bum sticking out as if he was rearranging the furniture.
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's consistent with the theory that Tom wouldn't have won the main competition were it not for the Showdance Camilla came up with. People who tuned in just for the Final, and voted for Tom, would have been unlikely to buy tickets for the Tour.

One imagines the majority of people attending a given Tour are people who followed the winner of the main competition - who on the Tour vote for the celeb rather than the routine.

Harry Judd won 30 of the Tour shows. Neither his fans nor the judges saw anything wrong with him dragging Aliona into the centre of the floor during his AT with his bum sticking out as if he was rearranging the furniture.

I don't think that's true. I was a Rachel fan that year, but Tom was always more popular than her and Lisa. Thanks to the scoring mess in the semi-final we were actually told that Tom had topped the vote. I've been to 3 tours and there has always been a mix of fans of the winner and runner/s up and I think people sometimes vote for the runners up as a consolation as the winner already has a glitterball.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    . I've been to 3 tours and there has always been a mix of fans of the winner and runner/s up and I think people sometimes vote for the runners up as a consolation as the winner already has a glitterball.

Possibly, and I think the Pro. had a lot to do with it too. Vincent much more likeable and popular than Camilla ever was, and still is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, and I think the Pro. had a lot to do with it too. Vincent much more likeable and popular than Camilla ever was, and still is.

True, Vincent does know how to work a crowd :)

I think because the tour is one show and doesn't really mean anything, people probably vote for all sorts of random reasons. Some will be best dancer, some will vote for their favourite from the show whatever happens, some because they are improved or better live, some because they do the best 'banter', sometimes the other contestants will ask the crowd to vote for a particular person, home town etc. Plus, most of the people in the arena won't know that one contestant may already have won 20 dates on the tour, for example. On the tour that year, I voted for Rachel but I also voted for Julian Clary because he was so funny, although I wouldn't really have wanted him to beat Jill on the main show.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He was by the end, in the early days he was cringeworthy. I think after missing out with Rachel he toned it down, whilst still being fun! The Vincent who partnered Dani was a different person to the one who partnered Rachel. Camilla I think had paid her dues by season 6 and was long overdue a victory!
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    True, Vincent does know how to work a crowd :)

I think because the tour is one show and doesn't really mean anything, people probably vote for all sorts of random reasons. Some will be best dancer, some will vote for their favourite from the show whatever happens, some because they are improved or better live, some because they do the best 'banter', sometimes the other contestants will ask the crowd to vote for a particular person, home town etc. Plus, most of the people in the arena won't know that one contestant may already have won 20 dates on the tour, for example. On the tour that year, I voted for Rachel but I also voted for Julian Clary because he was so funny, although I wouldn't really have wanted him to beat Jill on the main show.

Robbie Savage won two tour shows. That tells you everything you need to know about voting on the tour!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Robbie Savage won two tour shows. That tells you everything you need to know about voting on the tour!

According to the SCD Wiki entry Robbie won six tour shows. From memory he had a Scottish grandparent, and wore a kilt during the Scottish shows.

Chelsee - easily the most accomplished dancer by the end of the main competition - won just three tour shows.

One assumes the nerves which (according to the Harry worshipers here) overcame her in the Final to such an extent that Harry deserved to win, also destroyed her Tour routines. Couldn't have had anything to do with the judges carrying on where they left off in the Final by showering Harry's mediocre AT with perfect scores throughout the Tour.

The Tour shows have very little to do with competitions. They're all about giving the people who pay for tickets what they want.
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the SCD Wiki entry Robbie won six tour shows. From memory he had a Scottish grandparent, and wore a kilt during the Scottish shows.

Chelsee - easily the most accomplished dancer by the end of the main competition - won just three tour shows.

One assumes the nerves which (according to the Harry worshipers here) overcame her in the Final to such an extent that Harry deserved to win, also destroyed her Tour routines. Couldn't have had anything to do with the judges carrying on where they left off in the Final by showering Harry's mediocre AT with perfect scores throughout the Tour.

The Tour shows have very little to do with competitions. They're all about giving the people who pay for tickets what they want.

Do you really think people who go on the tour, presumably having watched the series, decide to vote there and then on the basis of the judges' scores?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    Do you really think people who go on the tour, presumably having watched the series, decide to vote there and then on the basis of the judges' scores?

The judges' scores affect the uninformed viewer's perception of a routine in the same manner during the Tour as they do during the main competition.

Compare Harry's AT with Simon's AT. Had the judges been honest in their critique of Harry's AT back then - and pointed out how little he actually did during the routine - and awarded it 30 points instead of 40 in the Final and in the Tour shows - I think far fewer people would have voted for Harry.

Not every voter is sufficiently dishonest to automatically vote for their favourite celeb as the best dancer even if the voter believes another celeb is better.
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gaping hole with this theory: it had been known for weeks that Tom was already far more popular than Lisa or Rachel.
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The judges' scores affect the uninformed viewer's perception of a routine in the same manner during the Tour as they do during the main competition.

Compare Harry's AT with Simon's AT. Had the judges been honest in their critique of Harry's AT back then - and pointed out how little he actually did during the routine - and awarded it 30 points instead of 40 in the Final and in the Tour shows - I think far fewer people would have voted for Harry.

Not every voter is sufficiently dishonest to automatically vote for their favourite celeb as the best dancer even if the voter believes another celeb is better.

They would never have chosen Harry's AT for him to do on the tour had it only been likely to receive 30 points though. Harry had an abundance of high-scoring dances to do on the tour. You're also neglecting to mention that Harry danced his popular Quickstep on the tour.

If you're going to argue that the judges favoured Harry on the tour, I wouldn't argue with the scores, more that Craig chose to give Chelsee her Showdance to dance again when it wasn't anywhere near to being her most memorable or well-performed.

I'm not a Harry fan or anything, in fact I liked Harry and Chelsee equally when it came to the final, but I don't buy that Harry's AT being overmarked, in your opinion, is the reason for him winning the tour. In fact, given that it's been repeatedly observed on here that Harry won the series before it even began as an attractive male with an existing fandom, I'd say those two reasons played into it more than Harry's AT score.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »
    Gaping hole with this theory: it had been known for weeks that Tom was already far more popular than Lisa or Rachel.

It seems the people in Tom's Appreciation Thread forgot to tell anyone else that Tom was far more popular than Rachel. Tom won only one of the Tour shows whereas Rachel won 26.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the people in Tom's Appreciation Thread forgot to tell anyone else that Tom was far more popular than Rachel. Tom won only one of the Tour shows whereas Rachel won 26.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, we were told in the semi-final that Tom had topped the public vote, so he was clearly more popular than both Rachel and Lisa, even before his show dance (and I say this as someone who was definitely not a fan of Tom). He was popular with the, presumably, hundreds of thousands who voted on the show, Rachel was popular with maybe a couple of thousand in an arena each night.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Tom was not only top of the vote in the semi final, he quite clearly was top in the final as well!

After the judges scores, he was behind both Rachel and Lisa, and Lisa had achieved what was then the only 40/40 score for her Foxtrot and Cha Cha..... She still finished third, so Tom had to have topped the public vote then too!

The showdance was just the icing on the cake - it says a lot that Toms showdance is still considered one of the best ever (if not THE best ever) in all the polls on here - and Lisa's "Bacofoil" is remembered for its sheer awfulness - but I for one can't remember anything about Rachel and Vincent's showdance that year!

Winning the tour is quite often a completely different result - people who pay out a lot of money for tour tickets tend to be more appreciative of the better dancers and vote accordingly - no matter what the judges scores are. I didn't go the year of Tom and Rachel, but I'd hazard a guess that Tom didn't get to do his showdance on it.... Without that show stopping performance I'd hazard a guess that Rachel outperformed him on two ordinary dances!

Chelsea didn't do well on tour because (IMHO) she was forced to do her showdance on it. It wasn't her best performance by a long shot and she was as uncomfortable with it on tour as she was in the final. Even her breathtaking foxtrot couldn't help her overcome the showdance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Winning the tour is quite often a completely different result - people who pay out a lot of money for tour tickets tend to be more appreciative of the better dancers and vote accordingly - no matter what the judges scores are. I didn't go the year of Tom and Rachel, but I'd hazard a guess that Tom didn't get to do his showdance on it.... Without that show stopping performance I'd hazard a guess that Rachel outperformed him on two ordinary dances!

Chelsea didn't do well on tour because (IMHO) she was forced to do her showdance on it. It wasn't her best performance by a long shot and she was as uncomfortable with it on tour as she was in the final. Even her breathtaking foxtrot couldn't help her overcome the showdance.

You're right - Tom didn't do his showdance on tour. He did his quickstep to a Town called Malice and I can't remember his other dance at all. Rachel did her tango and rumba which were very atmospheric and with the dramatic music etc. seemed to work better in an arena.

I've always thought it was a bit strange that Chelsee didn't refuse to do her showdance on tour if she was really that uncomfortable with it. I know its a bit of a 'do as your told' atmosphere, but making someone do a dance, especially with lifts, that they don't like so that will probably transmit itself to the audience, seems really weird :confused: I do think, though, that with Harry doing his quickstep he probably would have won whatever dance she did.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom was not only top of the vote in the semi final, he quite clearly was top in the final as well!

After the judges scores, he was behind both Rachel and Lisa, and Lisa had achieved what was then the only 40/40 score for her Foxtrot and Cha Cha..... She still finished third, so Tom had to have topped the public vote then too!

The showdance was just the icing on the cake - it says a lot that Toms showdance is still considered one of the best ever (if not THE best ever) in all the polls on here - and Lisa's "Bacofoil" is remembered for its sheer awfulness - but I for one can't remember anything about Rachel and Vincent's showdance that year!

BIB I was very surprised to see her showdance - I saw that tour twice and both times she performed it she looked so uncomfortable, I felt quite sorry for her - I have no idea why the powers-that-be forced her to do, what was in my opinion, her worst dance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm only too happy to clear this up for you.

The truth is that Chelsee's Showdance was excellent - and she enjoyed performing it both in the Final and during the Tour. Had that not been the case Craig would have asked her to repeat a routine she did enjoy.

However Chelsee wasn't as comfortable as Caroline with lifts. There was a lift in her Showdance that was challenging for her, and it wasn't until the latter stages of the Tour that she started nailing it and receiving the perfect score for the routine.

Sadly I see there are still a few Harry worshipers here persisting with the futile attempt to justify Harry's win by claiming that Chelsee's performances were worse than Harry's.

Anybody in any doubt has only to look at Chelsee's Paso Doble and Rumba - together a three-minute demonstration of everything lacking in Harry's expertise as a dancer.

Harry was that year's Abbey Clancy - easy on the eye when attached to the professional partner, but woefully exposed when dancing apart. But his Ballroom routines were better than Abbey's - and his Quickstep was one of the outstanding routines of the series for me.

But a comparison of his Argentine Tango with Simon's AT could leave no objective observer in any doubt as to his limitations.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only too happy to clear this up for you.

The truth is that Chelsee's Showdance was excellent - and she enjoyed performing it both in the Final and during the Tour. Had that not been the case Craig would have asked her to repeat a routine she did enjoy.

However Chelsee wasn't as comfortable as Caroline with lifts. There was a lift in her Showdance that was challenging for her, and it wasn't until the latter stages of the Tour that she started nailing it and receiving the perfect score for the routine.

Sadly I see there are still a few Harry worshipers here persisting with the futile attempt to justify Harry's win by claiming that Chelsee's performances were worse than Harry's.

Anybody in any doubt has only to look at Chelsee's Paso Doble and Rumba - together a three-minute demonstration of everything lacking in Harry's expertise as a dancer.

Harry was that year's Abbey Clancy - easy on the eye when attached to the professional partner, but woefully exposed when dancing apart. But his Ballroom routines were better than Abbey's - and his Quickstep was one of the outstanding routines of the series for me.

But a comparison of his Argentine Tango with Simon's AT could leave no objective observer in any doubt as to his limitations.
    It's subjective isn't it? I'm not a Harry worshipper .. never voted for him .. but I think he WAS better than Chelsee overall and no-one can defend Chelsee's showdance .. I just cringed when I saw it .. it was beyond awful (and I love Pasha.) Not just the lifts .. she was all over the place.
    You are clearly a Chelsee worshipper and as such have no right to criticize others for their preferences. You thought she was better .. but not everybody did. There are just as many arguments against that as for it. AND .. it's about more than dancing as we all know. Nobody has to justify Harry's win .. he got the most votes .. simple.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    BIB I was very surprised to see her showdance - I saw that tour twice and both times she performed it she looked so uncomfortable, I felt quite sorry for her - I have no idea why the powers-that-be forced her to do, what was in my opinion, her worst dance!

Craig is the tour director so he picked those 2 dances for her >:(>:(>:(

Out of all her dances to choose ? I would have loved to see her perform her week 2 salsa. It was a showstopper .
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    edy10 wrote: »
    Craig is the tour director so he picked those 2 dances for her >:(>:(>:(

Out of all her dances to choose ? I would have loved to see her perform her week 2 salsa. It was a showstopper .

I don't think Craig liked Chelsee. :(
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    It's subjective isn't it? I'm not a Harry worshipper .. never voted for him .. but I think he WAS better than Chelsee overall and no-one can defend Chelsee's showdance .. I just cringed when I saw it .. it was beyond awful (and I love Pasha.) Not just the lifts .. she was all over the place.
    You are clearly a Chelsee worshipper and as such have no right to criticize others for their preferences. You thought she was better .. but not everybody did. There are just as many arguments against that as for it. AND .. it's about more than dancing as we all know. Nobody has to justify Harry's win .. he got the most votes .. simple.

I was a Chelsee supporter but ended up voting for Harry in the final. He totally outperformed her on the night, much helped by that disastrous show dance. I have to say I can't remember many people arguing she out danced him in the final, more what had made her fall apart and what had possessed Pasha, after a series of fabulous choregraphies for her, to put together that monstrosity.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Vincent was out first twice, never came close to winning despite having three very talented and reasonably likeable partners over the years, and struggled to put together 3% of the public vote on I'm A Celebrity. I can buy that Flavia is popular but Vincent? Not really.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »

Bigger gaping hole in said theory - it's utter rubbish.
    See show results over the series and extrapolate for confirmation.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Vincent was out first twice, never came close to winning despite having three very talented and reasonably likeable partners over the years, and struggled to put together 3% of the public vote on I'm A Celebrity. I can buy that Flavia is popular but Vincent? Not really.

I was talking about the 2009 tour, and how popular he and Rachel were following the 2008 series. And after that he got Natalie Cassidy - popular with the public but wouldn't ever win of course. And being given a 60 year old ( Stephanie ) and two 64 year old women ( Felicity and Edwina ) sort of scuppered his chances somewhat ! Edwina was also deeply unpopular with the public - no surprise that she went out first. Dani Harmer was his best partner after Rachel, and he got to the final with her, but I think it was a given that she'd never beat Louis or Kimberley. As for I'm a Celebrity - totally different audience viewing that programme, most of them never heard of Vincent because they didn't watch Strictly. Against Joey Essex and Amy Willerton he was virtually an unknown, and they sort of took the show over didn't they ?
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    I was talking about the 2009 tour, and how popular he and Rachel were following the 2008 series. And after that he got Natalie Cassidy - popular with the public but wouldn't ever win of course. And being given a 60 year old ( Stephanie ) and two 64 year old women ( Felicity and Edwina ) sort of scuppered his chances somewhat ! Edwina was also deeply unpopular with the public - no surprise that she went out first. Dani Harmer was his best partner after Rachel, and he got to the final with her, but I think it was a given that she'd never beat Louis or Kimberley. As for I'm a Celebrity - totally different audience viewing that programme, most of them never heard of Vincent because they didn't watch Strictly. Against Joey Essex and Amy Willerton he was virtually an unknown, and they sort of took the show over didn't they ?

Vincent never got his partners further than their talent justifies which suggests he didn't have the personal fan base that some pros do, is the point being made though. Of course, the ages and lack of popularity of his first round boots explains them, but if he had his own personal following they may have gone further - for e.g. Widdy was no younger nor more beloved of the voting public than those you mention but it seems to be generally accepted that Anton can pull enough votes to drag even the most unpromising and unpopular dancers through several rounds. Rachel, Louisa and Dani were good enough dancers to win but didn't for a variety of understandable reasons but if Vincent was as popular independently as is being suggested it is surprising he couldn't make any difference.