putting your dvds on ipod?

hi - this is my first post :)

can anyone help me figure out how to rip my DVDs onto my ipod?

i've worked out how to convert avi files etc to mp4 (videora, in case anyone's struggling with this) but there doesn't seem to be a simple solution straight from dvd...

it would be really make my 90 min commute go faster if i could watch three episodes of sex and the city on the way to work...

thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    If you already own the DVD's, it'd be far easier to just download the stuff you're after already ripped. In an apple-firendly format if you can find it, in DivX or something and convert if you can't.

To get a DVD onto an iPod you have to rip the DVD and then convert the resulting rip into a format the iPod can handle.

There are numerous programs and methods for ripping DVD's. Try sites like videohelp.com or doom9.net for info on ripping DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use 'mediafork' for all my DVD ripping needs. It allows you to select which chapter(s) you want, queue them up if necessary and even encode them for ipod straight away, in one go.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24032

Or try 'handbrake' if you need a windows version.
  • cherrycolacherrycola Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    thanks i'll try these ideas :)

i have been downloading stuff i've already got so far but our bandwidth is rubbish and i keep getting told off by the bf...
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    cherrycola wrote: »

i've worked out how to convert avi files etc to mp4 (videora, in case anyone's struggling with this) but there doesn't seem to be a simple solution straight from dvd...

it would be really make my 90 min commute go faster if i could watch three episodes of sex and the city on the way to work...

thanks!

That's so weird. When I got my iPod last Christmas, I wanted to rip my Sex In the City Dvd's to watch as well and had difficulty :eek: and for the same reason! For my commute to work!!

I didn't really get it rectified myself. I ended up buying a Zen which I have to admit was a lot easier but I'm now watching SATC happily :D

Good luck! :)
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you use handbrake what settings do you use to get the correct files ?.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meandi22 wrote: »
    That's so weird. When I got my iPod last Christmas, I wanted to rip my Sex In the City Dvd's to watch as well and had difficulty :eek: and for the same reason! For my commute to work!!

I didn't really get it rectified myself. I ended up buying a Zen which I have to admit was a lot easier but I'm now watching SATC happily :D

Good luck! :)

Ripping from a dvd for the Zen should be no different than for the iPod. You just get a piece of software and encode it to a particular filetype. There's no added process for the iPod.

Personally I use mactheripper to get a copy of the dvd on my computer so I'm not reading from the disc through the whole process, then use handbrake and effectively just select the settings I want and click start.
    Forum Member
    moisie - it was just more user friendly for me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meandi22 wrote: »
    moisie - it was just more user friendly for me :)

I'm interested as to why, since you should be able to use the same software since they both support mpeg4. Unless you ripped it to some format the iPod doesn't support and the zen does. Since you can effectively rip to the iPod in a handful of clicks I'd be genuinely interested to hear how it was easier on the zen.
    Forum Member
    moisie wrote: »
    I'm interested as to why, since you should be able to use the same software since they both support mpeg4. Unless you ripped it to some format the iPod doesn't support and the zen does. Since you can effectively rip to the iPod in a handful of clicks I'd be genuinely interested to hear how it was easier on the zen.

I would love to be able to tell you lol, but it was a while ago. I know I used different software for each one so maybe I just made it more difficult on myself! :eek: I just remember thinking that it was much easier. Again though it could've been down to the software :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    moisie wrote: »

From what I know of them, the Creative players support a few more video formats than the iPod. So, if you weren't all that sure what you were doing when ripping, you're more likely to 'get lucky' and end up with a format that will play on the Zen than on the iPod. iPod's are VERY fussy about their video formats ..... just look at the number of threads that appear on here about it - "How do I do convert video for iPod?", "Why is there no sound on my converted file?", "Why won't iTunes recognise my video files?" .... etc etc. If you don't get it spot-on, the iPod won't play it.

Remember, to non-techy people, ripping a DVD can be quite daunting ....
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    easiet way I can think of is to use dvd decrypter then videroa ipod convertor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Aimersoft DVD ripper, it costs a few quid but easy to use.
    the program converts the dvd stright in to 'ipod' format. it shows you clearly what bits of the dvd are there and hen alows you to selected the bits you want. (films/episodes and not title sequances and interviews...)
  • cherrycolacherrycola Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    meandi - i also had a zen until a few weeks ago. it was easier to play videos but i filled it up with music and had no room left so i got one of the new ipod classics literally as it was the largest capacity i could get.

thanks for everyone's help! i will try all and see what i get on with. its when i'm faced with split audio and video files that i'm like :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cherrycola wrote: »

thanks!

Although keep in mind, that watching video, really drains the battery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheeks wrote: »
    If you use handbrake what settings do you use to get the correct files ?.....

Hope this is what you were after...

I start with 'Picture settings' to check I've got the right chapter. usually leave the settings alone for that.
    Then change the output setting codec to 'AVC/H.264vid/ AAC audio'
    Then I change the 'encoder' to 'x264(h.264 ipod)'
    Give the file a name then start!

Seems to work fine for me but please, if someone knows a better way then do share!
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this helps but I use DVD fab platinum. You just load the disc, and there's an ipod option that lets you convert the dvd. I've never had any problems using it - and you can download a free trial.