Confused dot com (seriously)

FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
Forum Member
Hi everyone,

So that time's come again when I need advice on a friendship, prejudgements and sarcasm aside...

At the start of my course last september apart from dreading every monday lecture because of the people in it, I broke the ice and started talking with this guy who appeared quite shy. Fair enough he doesn't have a great deal of time for people because of his part-time job. After a few months on the rare occassions we got to talk longer, he was kind enough to send a birthday text etc. from time to time he'd tell me some deep rooted issues mainly about his homelife and how that affected uni (he stopped coming to lectures after a while). Had no problem with him opening up, though it did feel like he wasn't always listening if I had a problem but I put that down to paranoia and told him. Lately however, it's like he's avoiding me/some of his friends e.g. he's not a big talker but he gets back to people eventually if they post something on his facebook. But when I was chatting with another friend on msn, he came online so said hi and stuff then he went without a trace, tried calling him yesterday and no answer (sometimes comes online on sundays).

Not sure if I've given the wrong impression or something, last month I started messing around talking shakespearian (he's a fan of that era) dropping hints about a birthday gift. Then told him about a trip to thorpe park some others and I were organising, he sounded all for it still on a high from his birthday. But then it's like since I've been meeting up with other friends and posting pics on facebook he's become really distant, for example I hinted if he wanted to tag along with a friend and I to the O2 he was welcome but he opted out. Noticed he doesn't tell his boyfriend a lot of the personal stuff he tells me, not sure if he's developed a crush on me maybe? (He knows I'm asexual, joked he was too young for me one time)

Comments

• SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread had something to do with the website.

Perhaps if you asked the mods to change your title to something more appropriate, you would attract the right people to read and give you advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fashion wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

So that time's come again when I need advice on a friendship, prejudgements and sarcasm aside...

At the start of my course last september apart from dreading every monday lecture because of the people in it, I broke the ice and started talking with this guy who appeared quite shy. Fair enough he doesn't have a great deal of time for people because of his part-time job. After a few months on the rare occassions we got to talk longer, he was kind enough to send a birthday text etc. from time to time he'd tell me some deep rooted issues mainly about his homelife and how that affected uni (he stopped coming to lectures after a while). Had no problem with him opening up, though it did feel like he wasn't always listening if I had a problem but I put that down to paranoia and told him. Lately however, it's like he's avoiding me/some of his friends e.g. he's not a big talker but he gets back to people eventually if they post something on his facebook. But when I was chatting with another friend on msn, he came online so said hi and stuff then he went without a trace, tried calling him yesterday and no answer (sometimes comes online on sundays).

Not sure if I've given the wrong impression or something, last month I started messing around talking shakespearian (he's a fan of that era) dropping hints about a birthday gift. Then told him about a trip to thorpe park some others and I were organising, he sounded all for it still on a high from his birthday. But then it's like since I've been meeting up with other friends and posting pics on facebook he's become really distant, for example I hinted if he wanted to tag along with a friend and I to the O2 he was welcome but he opted out. Noticed he doesn't tell his boyfriend a lot of the personal stuff he tells me, not sure if he's developed a crush on me maybe? (He knows I'm asexual, joked he was too young for me one time)

The BIB stood out, he didnt apear to listen to your problems so you told him he was paranoid? is that right?

It doesnt sound like he has a crush on you, just that he's not that interested in spending time with you. How do you know what stuff he tells his boyfriend?
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    I thought the OP meant they were being paranoid thinking the friend wasn't listening.
    I've had a similar thing happen and it went on so long I just moved on. He could be jealous you have made other friends as well as him even though you're trying your darnedest to include hm.
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not wishing to be rude, but perhaps he felt you were talking about your problems/yourself too much? I say this because you say he seemed like he wasn't listening, perhaps he used to switch off because he was bored and so has decided he would rather hang out with others who don't do this? I could be completely off the mark, but I'm just basing it on the info you've provided. Alternatively he may just have found others he's got more in common with and has just moved on? Either way, I think you should just drop it and find some other friends.
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread had something to do with the website.

Perhaps if you asked the mods to change your title to something more appropriate, you would attract the right people to read and give you advice.

What Sherbet Lemon said.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    I thought the OP meant they were being paranoid thinking the friend wasn't listening.
    I've had a similar thing happen and it went on so long I just moved on. He could be jealous you have made other friends as well as him even though you're trying your darnedest to include hm.
    Exactly thought I was being paranoid thinking he wasn't listening so hung out with other friends for a while.

BIB- He shouldn't be, hinted a few times if ever he wants to join me like going to the BFI (got membership).
    Beau_Soir wrote: »
    Not wishing to be rude, but perhaps he felt you were talking about your problems/yourself too much? I say this because you say he seemed like he wasn't listening, perhaps he used to switch off because he was bored and so has decided he would rather hang out with others who don't do this? I could be completely off the mark, but I'm just basing it on the info you've provided. Alternatively he may just have found others he's got more in common with and has just moved on? Either way, I think you should just drop it and find some other friends.
    You're not being rude Beau, mentioned a family dispute once or twice whereas he's been very frank about his current family problems.

BIB- Been thinking this for a while

Mods could you change the title of my thread to Friend concerns please, thanks.
    Forum Member
    jude1979 wrote: »
    The BIB stood out, he didnt apear to listen to your problems so you told him he was paranoid? is that right?

It doesnt sound like he has a crush on you, just that he's not that interested in spending time with you. How do you know what stuff he tells his boyfriend?
    He did say a few weeks back that he doesn't mean to come across so introverted that he's stuck in himself a bit atm. Literally going by what he's told me and got the impression they're not very close, like he'd steadily change the subject if I asked how things are with him.
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly thought I was being paranoid thinking he wasn't listening so hung out with other friends for a while.

BIB- He shouldn't be, hinted a few times if ever he wants to join me like going to the BFI (got membership).

You're not being rude Beau, mentioned a family dispute once or twice whereas he's been very frank about his current family problems.

BIB- Been thinking this for a while

Mods could you change the title of my thread to Friend concerns please, thanks.
    Some people have a low tolerance when it comes to other peoples problems but except people to be all ears when it's them, maybe he's like that? Happy to let you listen to him but doesn't want to return the favour? Either way, lifes too short to be messed about. Cut him loose and if he is good friend he will come back, if not, you're better off without him. Chin up:)
    Forum Member
    Beau_Soir wrote: »
    Some people have a low tolerance when it comes to other peoples problems but except people to be all ears when it's them, maybe he's like that? Happy to let you listen to him but doesn't want to return the favour? Either way, lifes too short to be messed about. Cut him loose and if he is good friend he will come back, if not, you're better off without him. Chin up:)
    Not upset just wanted a second opinion really :), you're right life is too short think I'll just carry on spending time with other friends.
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump an old thread, absolutely fuming!
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump an old thread, absolutely fuming!

So, are you going to explain why, or were you waiting to be asked?
    Forum Member
    HollyC wrote: »
    So, are you going to explain why, or were you waiting to be asked?
    Sorry Holly, attention-seeking wasn't the goal honest. Just felt so livid after having a lengthy argument. What began as a friendly invite to a theme park ended in an orchestrated list of accusations on his part
    Forum Member
    Sorry Holly, attention-seeking wasn't the goal honest. Just felt so livid after having a lengthy argument. What began as a friendly invite to a theme park ended in an orchestrated list of accusations on his part

That's OK - I was just a little confused because of how the situation seemed when the thread last ended! :)

It's nuts how something so trivial can escalate though, I take it that things haven't really changed since June?
    Forum Member
    HollyC wrote: »
    That's OK - I was just a little confused because of how the situation seemed when the thread last ended! :)

It's nuts how something so trivial can escalate though, I take it that things haven't really changed since June?
    Can say that again! Unfortunately not, seems my instinct was right. It was like any concern or thought I spoke openly about, he'd accuse me of projecting insecurities onto him.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He sounds like a bit of a drama queen.
    Forum Member
    Can say that again! Unfortunately not, seems my instinct was right. It was like any concern or thought I spoke openly about, he'd accuse me of projecting insecurities onto him.

Well, honestly, is really worth so much emotional investment? I'm not saying that you shouldn't be friends with him, but proper friendship is a two way thing - it sounds to me like this is all one way. I do believe in trusting instinct - I think it comes from picking up on something without actually realising what it is (if that makes sense!)
    Forum Member
    Apologies for the delayed reply, to answer your question on reflection no he doesn't seem worth it. Say in an idylic world we agreed to start again, if something was to happen and I tried talking to him what's to say he wouldn't start accussing me of 'projecting'. Before offering the invite, reckon he'd made his mind up about not wanting to be friends so win win mentioning a text message I sent over a month before, in the heat of the moment. Apologised repeatedly and offered a clean slate, but he seemed determined to look for fault. In his world if a friend voices their thoughts it's either fingers in ears or inconvenient...people like that aren't worth the brain space.