Panacur worming, my dog seems a bit down? (bit worried)

Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
About 5pm I gave my small terrier dog some panacur mixed in with his food, I was surprised he ate it. Depite the instructions on the packet (saying to pour the whole packet in) I actually poured half because I thought it was an awful lot in all honesty, it was quite a job to stir it all in and disguise it so to speak.

Anyway, at the moment he just seems quite p*ssed off I suppose, he looks quite down in the dumps. I wonder if maybe there is some side effects, stuff like this really worries me and I already am over thinking it I guess.

I just wondered if anyone has had any previous experience using panacur (which seems to be highly recommended).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    He could just be feeling a bit queasy - sometimes worming treatment can cause stomach upsets. Has he had Panacur before?

If he is sick, then it's been in his system long enough to do it's job. If he can take tablets, Milbemax is a very good one and seems to be a lot gentler on the tummy than some of the others.
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can have an allergic reaction to it, better keep an eye.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could just be feeling a bit queasy - sometimes worming treatment can cause stomach upsets. Has he had Panacur before?

If he is sick, then it's been in his system long enough to do it's job. If he can take tablets, Milbemax is a very good one and seems to be a lot gentler on the tummy than some of the others.

He's never had panacur before, in fact, he's never been wormed before (not to my knowledge) we've had him a year (got him from a rescue shelter). So maybe it's playing his stomach up as I know dogs can get depressed when they feel queasy.

Oddly enough, my two cats also had panacur today and ate it all (the mixed in powder) which surprised me as it's so hard to get them to eat something with a crushed tablet it for example, yet this yucky looking powder they just ate :confused:

I know it sounds daft but I just always think the worst, I can't help it. He could be just tired but my pets are like family to me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Hopefully he will perk up soon - it's horrible when they are under the weather.

Mine used to have Drontal but when they changed the formula (and made it bone shaped - like a dog is going to care :rolleyes: ) my dogs were projectile vomiting within minutes. They moped about for the rest of the day but were back to normal the following day.

Don't forget that there is an on-call vet always at the end of the phone so, if he does deteriorate or develops symptoms that give you cause for concern, don't hesitate to give them a call for advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully he will perk up soon - it's horrible when they are under the weather.

Mine used to have Drontal but when they changed the formula (and made it bone shaped - like a dog is going to care :rolleyes: ) my dogs were projectile vomiting within minutes. They moped about for the rest of the day but were back to normal the following day.

Don't forget that there is an on-call vet always at the end of the phone so, if he does deteriorate or develops symptoms that give you cause for concern, don't hesitate to give them a call for advice.

Well he was fine up until about 8ish and then when I came upstairs he was just sort of sitting under the bed looking a bit sorry for himself, I just wondered if there was something up or if he was just tired (he gets a bit depressed looking when he's tired) but I don't know, this is when I wish they could speak! :p

And yes I will take your advice about the vet if I feel I have to, I think it could be me over-reacting though.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panacur can cause some dogs to be sick. My dogs can't take it and have to have Milbemax. It is very likely that your dog is just feeling a bit sick. I would offer just water and see how he/she is in the morning, If there is no improvement in the morning, I would call the vet for advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he's absolutely fine today! (or seems it), hes' running around and trying to chase the cat :D

Having said that I'm still keeping an eye on him. Last night he kept licking his mouth alot, he usually does that when he feels sick, he wasn't sick though and just fell asleep, so maybe it made him feel queasy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Giving him half a pack isn't going to do anything, he may still have worms. It's like giving a kid a half dose of antibiotics, it's not going to do a lot. Is there a reason he's not been wormed previously? Why start now? Worm burdens can cause masses of damage and leaving him untreated, or half treated is not great.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog used to be on Drontal but for some reason she was sick after the last one. Is it true they changed the formula? So recently I tried Panacur liquid - with no ill effects.
    Doesn't Milbemax need a prescription? My vet pushes Advocate but I'm no longer keen on dosing her with a systemic poison :(
  • UncleLouUncleLou Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Milbemax is a very good one and seems to be a lot gentler on the tummy than some of the others.

Don't give Milbemax to collies as it contains Ivermectin.