Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I kind of have to go along with this. I have been a loyal viewer of the show and a fan of MC since it aired way back when. As I've said before on here, I was disappointed with both Series 4 and 5 and this series has been no different for me. I appreciate that others have viewed this series differently but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. Whilst I've loved the entertainment, humour, storylines, characters and settings which the show has given us, I can see no end to the current series that I would be satisfied with as a fan.

That's just my view.
    :)

Hi Brendan's Girl.
    Agree with what you've said and your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. IMO poor writing and inconsistent characterisation has contributed to this 'evolution' of this programme to the sad point it's at now. Some ardent viewers may now be desperately want to justify these changes as something deeper than they are - mainly because they feel an emotional attachment to the characters and feel 'cheated' by how the writers are now portraying them.

I'm not a mad MC fan but did really enjoy the first few series of DM, (for me the series [4?] after the child was born was when the rot really set in) so I think it's a shame that it's gone downhill so rapidly.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan's girl, you have every right to voice your opinions.

I'm sorry if it has offended anyone, I just was playing a little devil's advocate.....not really what I think. If you read the series of posts one after another....and try to put yourself in the mindset of a "normal" person, that's what pops into your mind. I know that we are not "normal". I was curious to see what would happen. We are all so invested. An interesting experiment. Perhaps a bit unfair, sorry. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion. I don't understand how that has anything to do with this at all.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like, even enjoy, the show. Even when it's dark and not funny. I guess I am not attached to the show being a certain way, and I don't notice the repetition.

The main thing I don't like is when they have the actors play caricatures or stereotypes rather than characters. I see more "characters" this season, so I am happy about that. Penhale is still out there, but I think they will fix that next season.

I like
    • the ambient sound on the indoor scenes because they film in a barn and not on a sound stage
    • they use real locations - like the military base in Monday's episode
    • they use real people and not just actors
    • the star of the show doesn't worry about being upstaged by babies or anyone else
    • they go to a lot of trouble to make the locations look right, they don't just slap a sign on the door and done with it
    • they shoot on film
    • they shoot so many scenes outdoors

Those things keep my interest as much as the plots and stories. I feel very lucky to have come across this show. I hope they make it for a long time. I guess I am also lucky that I am not disappointed in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I want to write a long post about how much I am loving this series and loved E7 (even though it was tough to watch), but man-oh-man. This FORUM is depressing me. I think this is a real "damned if they do - damned if they don't" dilemma for BP and I am one of the fans who am happy to go along for the ride. I don't think they have suddenly lost their mojo, their minds or their energy.

In my opinion, the main underpinning of this series is Martin needing to go to a dark place so that he can have some meaningful, realistic and believable change. He will never be William Shawcross, but he can be a more functional Martin Ellingham. I think of it as darkest before the dawn, an alcoholic needing to hit rock bottom. Some of my most memorable reading over the years are stories that look bleakest near the end, but ultimately make the end that much sweeter.

But I am still seeing humor in each episode (several LOL moments for me even in this episode) and still seeing sweet moments. Martin taking care of Louisa by doing her hair was one of the most loving things I think we have ever seen from him. It said to me that despite where he is emotionally, there is a real intimacy between these two characters - this says more to me than even a kiss or a cuddle.

Thank you for that post, Shop Girl. I feel a little better. And I agree with you, but you know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Ok - a little light moment from this episode :D

When Louisa had the box collapse on her as they were leaving the school, did anyone else recognize the line from the little blonde girl, "Are you OK Miss?"

Looking at the credits at the end of the show I spotted this one (incidentally, NOT showing up in the cast on IMDB):
    "Pupil - Lila Absolom"

I'll let you all fill in the blanks. :D:D:D (I LOVE you BP!)

OMG! I did notice the little girl's familiar line (and the fact that they're refilling a box that the bottom has already fallen out of), but I didn't notice the name in the credits. How sweet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Those things keep my interest as much as the plots and stories. I feel very lucky to have come across this show. I hope they make it for a long time. I guess I am also lucky that I am not disappointed in it.

Actually that's a good way of looking at it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I spoke to one of the show's early writers and they think the show has likely run its course, and that Phartin are consciously or unconsciously shutting it down. It's been clear for some time they are tired of the show, Martin feels trapped by it, they are challenged to make it fresh (ergo Ben Bolt's leaving), and they came up with this huge gamble: lose the humor, lose the romance, make it darker and more perilous, Martin becomes more pathological, Louisa is more demanding and deeply flawed. I do admire their courage, even if borne from fatigue. But it's disappointing if I try to look at a it as a fresh, stand-alone series, and it's frankly heartbreaking if I look at it as a sad continuum to the characters and the show I loved.

Hi. Sorry to repeat myself but I think I may have been lost in traffic. Can you tell us who you spoke to? I'm very intrigued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SofaBint wrote: »
    Hi. Sorry to repeat myself but I think I may have been lost in traffic. Can you tell us who you spoke to? I'm very intrigued.

Thinking about sofas......do you think the orange sofa that Margaret is laying on is the same sofa that was in the road in one of the earlier series? The sofa that Bert and Al take home? That was orange too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks, SofaBint, but I'm not disclosing the name of the individual because they weren't making a public statement. There's no reason I can't share that opinion, but I've purposely made their ID vague. We talked about a week ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Thinking about sofas......do you think the orange sofa that Margaret is laying on is the same sofa that was in the road in one of the earlier series? The sofa that Bert and Al take home? That was orange too.

I wouldn't know. Sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, SofaBint, but I'm not disclosing the name of the individual because they weren't making a public statement. There's no reason I can't share that opinion, but I've purposely made their ID vague. We talked about a week ago.

I shall continue to be intrigued in private then. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall continue to be intrigued in private then. x

:-) xx
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is one of those shows that can be watched on different levels - sort of like kids' movies that also have jokes for the parents that go right over the kids' heads.

There seem to be two main types of DM fans: the ones who watch the show once and don't try to look into the minutiae of stuff (Easter Eggs if you will) that BP seems to put into the production, and those of us who watch the episodes over and over and find new things every time we watch. Either way to watch is perfectly legitimate and it seems that both types of viewers are split about how this series is going (great writing:rubbish writing, too repetitive:too different, etc). There is no right or wrong. As they say - YMMV (your mileage may vary)

But none of what is written here is fact - it is all opinion. Some are very insistent that this series (and possibly everything after S3) is garbage and there seem to be an equal number who are loving this series and the direction BP has chosen. No right - no wrong.

I have lots of shows I watch as a casual viewer so I understand that style of viewing - and there has only been one other show (now out of production) that I was hooked on like I am DM. I think about a show like Doctor Who. There probably three main categories of viewers that all see a different show: children, casual adult viewers (I'm in that category), and intense viewers who are involved in lots of wikis and other Internet sites. I have looked occasionally at some of these sites and am amazed at some of the things they see in a show that I just watching whenever a new series shows up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I would like to share my take on the history of the show. As I see it, there have been two threads to the show: 1. The love story between Martin and Louisa. This began in the opening scene in the show, on the plane. Martin was smitten at that moment, while, for Louisa, it was a short time later when he diagnosed her acute glaucoma and she realized he wasn’t a creep but an amazing doctor. Their story has been the major theme throughout the show, one that has been progressing in fits and starts and has come to this point in time because of the second thread. 2. Martin’s odd behavior has also been evident from the opening scene on the plane when he stares inappropriately at Louisa. We were given some clues to his issues right from his first visit to Aunt Joan, when she ‘teases’ him about crying at a splinter and wetting himself. He said, “I was 7”, but she corrected him that he was 12. One had the sense from that information that we were dealing with a sensitive child. We had Joan’s memories reinforced in the episodes with John Slater and Mrs. Steele. This drip, drip, drip of information has continued throughout. In S2, we meet his parents, who give us some insight into how he was raised. Also in S2 Martin reveals some of the abuse he suffered as a child during a conversation with Louisa about Delph (sp?). We began getting more information in S5 with the photos of a sad little Martin that were discovered at Aunt Joan’s. Aunt Ruth’s comments about his being happier at school than at home added to our understanding. In S5 we also had the dream scene of Martin as a child that gave us a view of his relationship with his father. So, all during the entire show, we are given bits of information about the origins of his dysfunction. So, we arrive at S6 in a natural progression. His suit of armor has been pierced by his love for Louisa and James, and he is finally feeling the losses he never grieved. We don’t know how this will all turn out, but it seems he is finally hitting rock bottom. Maybe Aunt Ruth and the presence of Mommy Dearest will finally begin the healing process. But to me, that is the history many of us are talking about, and it is in that history we are invested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we saw Martin's dream in Series 5 of himself as a little boy, didn't he drop the glass jar that was holding his butterfly, breaking it? I was just wondering if cut his hand while picking up the broken pieces while his father was yelling at him. Maybe this trauma was the cause of his blood phobia later on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    When we saw Martin's dream in Series 5 of himself as a little boy, didn't he drop the glass jar that was holding his butterfly, breaking it? I was just wondering if cut his hand while picking up the broken pieces while his father was yelling at him. Maybe this trauma was the cause of his blood phobia later on.

Wow, Renee, what an interesting theory!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CADMFAN wrote: »
    I would like to share my take on the history of the show. As I see it, there have been two threads to the show: 1. The love story between Martin and Louisa. This began in the opening scene in the show, on the plane. Martin was smitten at that moment, while, for Louisa, it was a short time later when he diagnosed her acute glaucoma and she realized he wasn’t a creep but an amazing doctor. Their story has been the major theme throughout the show, one that has been progressing in fits and starts and has come to this point in time because of the second thread. 2. Martin’s odd behavior has also been evident from the opening scene on the plane when he stares inappropriately at Louisa. We were given some clues to his issues right from his first visit to Aunt Joan, when she ‘teases’ him about crying at a splinter and wetting himself. He said, “I was 7”, but she corrected him that he was 12. One had the sense from that information that we were dealing with a sensitive child. We had Joan’s memories reinforced in the episodes with John Slater and Mrs. Steele. This drip, drip, drip of information has continued throughout. In S2, we meet his parents, who give us some insight into how he was raised. Also in S2 Martin reveals some of the abuse he suffered as a child during a conversation with Louisa about Delph (sp?). We began getting more information in S5 with the photos of a sad little Martin that were discovered at Aunt Joan’s. Aunt Ruth’s comments about his being happier at school than at home added to our understanding. In S5 we also had the dream scene of Martin as a child that gave us a view of his relationship with his father. So, all during the entire show, we are given bits of information about the origins of his dysfunction. So, we arrive at S6 in a natural progression. His suit of armor has been pierced by his love for Louisa and James, and he is finally feeling the losses he never grieved. We don’t know how this will all turn out, but it seems he is finally hitting rock bottom. Maybe Aunt Ruth and the presence of Mommy Dearest will finally begin the healing process. But to me, that is the history many of us are talking about, and it is in that history we are invested.

I can't imagine what the encounter will be if, indeed, Louisa
    and Mummy meet at the airport. Curious. We'll know soon enough.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Brendan's girl, you have every right to voice your opinions.

I seem to be with statesidefan on everything today You started this little forum, Brendan's Girl, and if you can't voice your opinion, then who the bloody well can? Please carry on.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry if it has offended anyone, I just was playing a little devil's advocate.....not really what I think. If you read the series of posts one after another....and try to put yourself in the mindset of a "normal" person, that's what pops into your mind. I know that we are not "normal". I was curious to see what would happen. We are all so invested. An interesting experiment. Perhaps a bit unfair, sorry. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion. I don't understand how that has anything to do with this at all.

Backpedal much?
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This sounds great! I'd love to see him in it.

But wait a minute -- if rehearsals start in October 2014, and then it opens in Chichester, and then goes on to London, what does that say about potential filming in March-July of 2015? Or do these plays have a defined limited run.....

Makes me wonder about the report somewhere that Portwenn is booked already for March -July 2014, which I originally thought was a typo.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I like, even enjoy, the show. Even when it's dark and not funny. I guess I am not attached to the show being a certain way, and I don't notice the repetition.

The main thing I don't like is when they have the actors play caricatures or stereotypes rather than characters. I see more "characters" this season, so I am happy about that. Penhale is still out there, but I think they will fix that next season.

I like
    • the ambient sound on the indoor scenes because they film in a barn and not on a sound stage
    • they use real locations - like the military base in Monday's episode
    • they use real people and not just actors
    • the star of the show doesn't worry about being upstaged by babies or anyone else
    • they go to a lot of trouble to make the locations look right, they don't just slap a sign on the door and done with it
    • they shoot on film
    • they shoot so many scenes outdoors

Sorry, dcdmfan,while its nice you appreciate those things, none of them mean anything much to me, really. And, they certainly aren't any type of thing which draws me back to the show.

Whether they shoot on film or not, or have indoor or outdoor scenes,or use real people to fill seats in a church, I honestly don't really care. I think they obviously have to have a baby in many scenes as that is a necessary part of the storyline.

I care about the main characters, the writing, the consistency, the storyline, the storylines of the accessory characters, the tone/fun/enjoyment of it all and if it all makes sense or not. Those are so much more incredibly important to me than the items in your list above.

That's what I think many of us have not liked this series and for me all that stuff I listed has been so problematic this season it far outweighs everything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Backpedal much?

I was making a joke...not casting aspersions on Brendan's girl or anyone.....I said I was being a smartass. If I was serious I wouldn't have warned you that I was being a smartass. You guys.....

I'll resist the temptation to make a joke and be a smartass next time...I see people don't get it. Sorry from the bottom of my heart.d
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    This sounds great! I'd love to see him in it.

But wait a minute -- if rehearsals start in October 2014, and then it opens in Chichester, and then goes on to London, what does that say about potential filming in March-July of 2015? Or do these plays have a defined limited run.....

Makes me wonder about the report somewhere that Portwenn is booked already for March -July 2014, which I originally thought was a typo.

I posted a question at that blog and got a response.
    My information came from a shopkeeper in Port Isaac. So I cannot confirm anything other than what she said to us. It is also possible that we misheard what she said (the lovely Cornish accent being a little tricky for Aussie ears at times!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was making a joke...not casting aspersions on Brendan's girl or anyone.....I said I was being a smartass. If I was serious I wouldn't have warned you that I was being a smartass. You guys.....

I'll resist the temptation to make a joke and be a smartass next time...I see people don't get it. Sorry from the bottom of my heart.d

Mofromco, thanks for the clarification. Some people here and on FaceBook have complained that they have not been treated well here on the forum, that they have been torched, we have been rude, or they have been shut down. I know now you didn't intend that, but I suggest we make sure we have a relationship with folks first before we say things, even in jest, that may sound like we want them to drop off the grid.
This discussion has been closed.