SMALLWORLD MEDIA Thread

meherenowmeherenow Posts: 132
Forum Member
Goodness me, we've lost our little forum - are we to wade through the 99% of posts relating to Virgin if we want to find something related to Smallworld?

The forum was hardly "desolate" (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67665131) .

I enjoyed dropping by to see any news or gripes, with especially good feedback by the MD, David Durnford, who was always quick to get involved in any queries.

BRING BACK OUR FORUM! :cry:

Comments

• pepstarpepstar Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, the V+ forum was fine to go... but the Smallworld threads are going to lost for Smallworld users. :(
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    DS say they are still taking feedback http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=68141466&postcount=8
    Smallworld Cable no longer warranted its own forum, so was merged with the main board. We're still reviewing feedback and making changes based on what users are saying,
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem a bit strange, what to DS mean by 'no longer warranted its own forum'?.

If it was to do with the lack of posts maybe it's because, as a well run company, people didn't have any gripes with SmallWorld Cable, it was the first place to look if users had a disruption of service or the MD released a statement, the most recent one being the reduction of sky sports prices.
    It must have used hardly any/no resources.

There is another forum/website dedicated to cable only.
  • Steve MorganSteve Morgan Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Ach come on. The Smallworld forum is one of the few reasons I visit DS any more.

It was ideal and the MD of Smallworld David Durnsford actively posted.

Come on DS put it back up, it's arrogance like that, that makes people think the only cable operator is the uk is Virgin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Ach come on. The Smallworld forum is one of the few reasons I visit DS any more.

It was ideal and the MD of Smallworld David Durnsford actively posted.

Come on DS put it back up, it's arrogance like that, that makes people think the only cable operator is the uk is Virgin.

Many thanks for your kind comments.

I also think its a shame that we've lost our forum. I would have thought forums should be about quality rather than just quantity:) !

David
    Owner, Smallworld Cable

PS Speed increases on their way this Autumn. We've just bumped the lowest speed profile up to 15Mb even for customers on older packages (e.g on 8Mb or 10Mb packages), and we'll increase them again soon. And 100Mb launches November 1st.
  • Steve MorganSteve Morgan Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I also think its a shame that we've lost our forum. I would have thought forums should be about quality rather than just quantity:) !

David
    Owner, Smallworld Cable

PS Speed increases on their way this Autumn. We've just bumped the lowest speed profile up to 15Mb even for customers on older packages (e.g on 8Mb or 10Mb packages), and we'll increase them again soon. And 100Mb launches November 1st.

Thank you for your reply David.

Would the option of a users forum on your own website be a possibility.

Through my experience with Smallworld the customer service is second to none and any problems have been sorted out professionally and efficiently. A forum may even encourage more customers on board.

Steve
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a VM customer I must say I've always been impressed by the smallword subforum, I used to read it sometimes and I was always impressed that the owner posted on there, if I was in an area supported by smallworld I may well choose them for no other reason.

It's a shame that you could well be overwhelmed by the traffic from VM on this forum and can see no reason why you shouldn't retain your own subforum
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything that's been said.

If they won't bring the forum back, perhaps making this thread sticky would be a compromise?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    All yesterday and today - no phones - just a recorded message apologising and saying they're working on it when you ring tech support (on your mobile) ...
    Any idea when things will get back to normal? The mobile's costing me money and I've no idea if any customers are ringng to place orders.
    Forum Member
    Help!
    Forum Member
    Help!

I'm afraid it's proving really complex, as we have had engineers on site for the past three days and have brought in some extra outside help to get it resolved. We are diverting customers calls to their mobiles and working through it as best we can. Its an unusual one - not had something like this before.

Apologies for the inconvenience - we are very focused on getting it fixed asap.

David
    Smallworld
    Forum Member
    Thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    see you dont get this with virgin and im one of their customers i wish i lived in their catchment area
    :cry:
    Forum Member
    Thank you.

No problem.

As you know we got it fixed mid last week. We' re sending out letters / emails this week apologising, with a £10 credit for all those affected.

Some of our older customers I popped around to apologise personally, with some flowers for them...think they were a little surprised to get a visit from the cable guy!

It turns out that Sky phone lines were down all week in Carlisle at the same time.

Dave
    Smallworld Cable
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some of our older customers I popped around to apologise personally, with some flowers for them...think they were a little surprised to get a visit from the cable guy!

Dave
    Smallworld Cable

Blimey, that's service for you! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hi MD

I'm on the old 30mb package for internet, but i see that old 30mb package is dropped and replaced with a 40mb package, im still running on 30mb though. Will my service up upgraded?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    you should been upgraded to 40mb all ready some how they missed you.

Also After the cable went down on tuesday night, and your guy moved carlisle to back up, witch is faster on download than how every your main back bone was to carlisle.
    IT possible they are throttling your service.
  • Ian_TroonIan_Troon Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I'm an ex customer of Smallworld, now living in a non cabled part of the town. My father-in-law is a customer, and has been since the days of Omne. He is 75, and felt his bill seemed to be increasing, without getting extra channels so I asked him to bring his last bill round so we could see what he was getting, and if any savings could be made.

Upon checking his bill I saw he was being charged 21.50 for the Sky Sports pack, however on the website it is shown as £16.00 per month.

So, I phoned customer services, he confirmed to the agent that I could speak on his behalf, and I asked why he was being charged this higher amount. The answer I was told was:

"As a customer, you need to phone up and ASK to be put onto the pack at a lower price, and by doing so you will be tied in to a new 12 month contract"

To say I was flabbergasted would be the understatement of the century!!

Now to be fair to Smallworld, I cannot see flyers or bill notifications they may have sent to him as this wasn't available (apart from the bill he brought round which didn't carry any notification, which was from June 2013)

So a customer has to constantly review their package, against the Smallworld website, or promotional material, to see if they should be paying less for the same product they currently receive!

My question would be, how many other customers are in a similar situation, unaware of the cheaper price available??

I can see you monitor this thread Mr Durnford, and would ask that you look into this matter. My father-in-law is not happy that he has been paying £5 per month for at least 5 months when there was no need to, and at 75, every penny has to be accounted for.

Please PM me if you would like his account details to investigate further.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Anyone else experiencing slow speeds in Kilmarnock area?

Web pages are slow to respond, speedtest to Morcambe 5-10 mb on 80mb package
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got a leaflet through the door, youview now being offered by smallworld fiber, by the looks of it it's only the freeview channels being offered.
  • meherenowmeherenow Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Just got a leaflet through the door, youview now being offered by smallworld fiber, by the looks of it it's only the freeview channels being offered.

Saw that too, there's some info on the website.

Are we all to receive the speed upgrade (80Mb to 100Mb in my case) or do we need to phone in?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Not surprised it's been taken down waste of time been complaining to them for months, bill shows 30meg line yet was supposed to have been upped to the 40 meg line, was told at the time that it would be done automatically but looks like it never was, never replied at all to that either . Even sent in speed tests as only on a very very odd occasion got 29meg only a couple times again never replied to that either that's why I have never went for anything higher not worth it if you cannot get 30meg . So have stopped recommending them just tell people to make there own minds up

Even emailed about getting my own modem/router as I prefer tplink was told would not save on electricity/ yes it would as well a getting rid of adaptors house was rewired living room has 9 sockets modem and router are still on adaptors.
    Forum Member
    meherenow wrote: »
    Saw that too, there's some info on the website.

Are we all to receive the speed upgrade (80Mb to 100Mb in my case) or do we need to phone in?

Hi

We've upgraded all customers on 20Mb or less to 20Mb. This has already happened. If you want 25Mb you'll need to be on one of the new packages with a new contract.

We are moving all 50 / 60 Mb profiles to 80Mb. If you want 100Mb you'll need to be on one of the new packages with a new contract...and so will need to call in.

Customers on 40Mb will be moved to 50Mb.

Customers on 20Mb can move to 50Mb but may need a new router which has a swap charge associated with it.

Hope that helps

David
    Forum Member
    Ian_Troon wrote: »
    I'm an ex customer of Smallworld, now living in a non cabled part of the town. My father-in-law is a customer, and has been since the days of Omne. He is 75, and felt his bill seemed to be increasing, without getting extra channels so I asked him to bring his last bill round so we could see what he was getting, and if any savings could be made.

Upon checking his bill I saw he was being charged 21.50 for the Sky Sports pack, however on the website it is shown as £16.00 per month.

So, I phoned customer services, he confirmed to the agent that I could speak on his behalf, and I asked why he was being charged this higher amount. The answer I was told was:

"As a customer, you need to phone up and ASK to be put onto the pack at a lower price, and by doing so you will be tied in to a new 12 month contract"

To say I was flabbergasted would be the understatement of the century!!

Now to be fair to Smallworld, I cannot see flyers or bill notifications they may have sent to him as this wasn't available (apart from the bill he brought round which didn't carry any notification, which was from June 2013)

So a customer has to constantly review their package, against the Smallworld website, or promotional material, to see if they should be paying less for the same product they currently receive!

My question would be, how many other customers are in a similar situation, unaware of the cheaper price available??

I can see you monitor this thread Mr Durnford, and would ask that you look into this matter. My father-in-law is not happy that he has been paying £5 per month for at least 5 months when there was no need to, and at 75, every penny has to be accounted for.

Please PM me if you would like his account details to investigate further.

Hi

We have been running an offer on Sky Sports for the past three months, which is ending this week. So its only been the past three months...and in fact its considerably below cost.

We have package changes and offers from time to time, so its worth phoning in or checking the web. If you'd like to PM me his details we can check to see what the best package at the moment is for your father?

Thanks

David
    Owner, Smallworld Cable
    Forum Member
    Jetstorm72 wrote: »
    you should been upgraded to 40mb all ready some how they missed you.

Also After the cable went down on tuesday night, and your guy moved carlisle to back up, witch is faster on download than how every your main back bone was to carlisle.
    IT possible they are throttling your service.

There's no throttling...C&W cut the fibre without notifying us and this caused some issues as the traffic shifted.

There is plenty of capacity...we have installed a new 10Gb link this summer, as well as our other Gb fibre links.

Speed issues tend to be very local (noise issue on a line, wireless issues, or in home equipment issues). We are very happy to troubleshoot via the tech team on 160. In some cases it may require an engineer visit to check the noise levels.

hope that helps

David
    Smallworld Cable