Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (4th studio album)

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are overacting. You made a comment I disagreed with and I made my opinion clear. I haven't bullied you. I challenged you on the post you made.

I think its incredibly ignorant to imply Gaga has done more for gay rights than those who came before her and that is how your post read. I responded to that. No bullying here. Its you went personal towards me. I haven't insulted you once.

You have just called Ignorant, which I am not, therefore an insult. Again, i never said Gaga did more for Gay rights than those before her. I said she did more than them around Don't ask don't tell and legalizing Same sex marriage when it was more of a prominent issue. Which i said in my sentence afterwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I never really understood why gays (and others on their behalf) dismiss ally support. Or play top trumps. Any positivity should be welcome in a world of negativity and inequality.

Especially when all the stars mentioned here have inevitably done more for the cause than those criticising.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have just called Ignorant, which I am not, therefore an insult. Again, i never said Gaga did more for Gay rights than those before her. I said she did more than them around Don't ask don't tell and legalizing Same sex marriage when it was more of a prominent issue. Which i said in my sentence afterwards.
    That isn't how your post read though and I said what you claimed was ignorant not that you were.

I never really understood why gays (and others on their behalf) dismiss ally support. Or play top trumps. Any positivity should be welcome in a world of negativity and inequality.

Especially when all the stars mentioned here have inevitably done more for the cause than those criticising.

Me neither but I do take issue with the claim Gaga has done more for gay rights than Cher. No matter what the context its said in.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i didn't dismiss her support though and i certainly wasn't playing "top trumps".:confused: my post was a calm measured and response to an overestimation in my opinion, but i did acknowledge her contribution. are you not gay yourself? not that its relevant, i just assumed you were from some of your posts previously.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think what you want, i know what i meant and I know i meant no harm
    But i know the fact that because it is me and going by past doings, people are quick to point the finger, accuse me of something I never did and will make sure they hold that against me while I continue to post. I'll do everyone a favor and leave for good. You have won, goodbye.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think what you want, i know what i meant and I know i meant no harm
    But i know the fact that because it is me and going by past doings, people are quick to point the finger, accuse me of something I never did and will make sure they hold that against me while I continue to post. I'll do everyone a favor and leave for good. You have won, goodbye.

I honestly have no idea what you're on about.

I disagreed with your post. I said so. You explained the context you meant it in.

The end. There is nothing personal here.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Lady Gaga has done for the LGBT community, is much more than what Madonna, Cher, Liza Minelli and any other Gay Icons done. I never heard Madonna proclaiming her support about Don't ask and don't tell or legalizing same sex marriage around the time they were big things.

Today it is quite a trend among pop stars to support the LGBT community. Thanks to those ladies you mentioned. They were risking so much when they openly supported the gay rights in times when it could destroy your career, they were spreading the AIDS/HIV and safe sex awareness when the topic was a cultural taboo. I have read your other responses, and know how you meant it. But I think it is needed to say that they did what they could and still continue to do so. You just don't hear as much about it because they are not so much in the spotlight right now, except for Madonna (who was almost arrested for supporting LGBT in Russia among many other things she continues to do for them on daily basis).
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i didn't dismiss her support though and i certainly wasn't playing "top trumps".:confused: my post was a calm measured and response to an overestimation in my opinion, but i did acknowledge her contribution. are you not gay yourself? not that its relevant, i just assumed you were from some of your posts previously.

He wasn't aiming that at you, it was a general statement.

And for those saying being gay isn't a big deal since the 90s, I think you are ill-informed. Perhaps in the western world it is easier but I think there is still a huge amount of homophobia. I have friends who have been beaten up, chased in the streets and threatened physically and verbally for being gay. And as LM said, look at Russia now.

There is still a huge amount of progress that needs to made, and it's important that people in a position of power (politicans, and also celebrities - people others look up to) do what they can to spread awareness. I'm not saying that LG has done more than anybody else - it's not a competition. But the fact she does anything at all, let alone attend rallies, give speeches and so on, should only be commended. As somebody else pointed out, Gaga as well as Madonna, Liza and Cher to name a few, have done more than any of us have. Just because it's perhaps not as much as a career danger nowadays as it was then, should not be a stick to beat Gaga and others her generation with. They can't help when they were born and I'm sure they don't think they're doing something that nobody else did before. The fact they continue to speak out and fight for equality is what really matters, not who did the most, and who endangered their career the most.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As somebody else pointed out, Gaga as well as Madonna, Liza and Cher to name a few, have done more than any of us have.

which came directly after a few posts including mine on the same issue.

that was another thing that poster also pointed out, but comparing public figures with some forum members seems utterly pointless to me. however, the fact remains, nobody in that prior discussion dismissed her contribution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And for those saying being gay isn't a big deal since the 90s, I think you are ill-informed. Perhaps in the western world it is easier but I think there is still a huge amount of homophobia. I have friends who have been beaten up, chased in the streets and threatened physically and verbally for being gay. And as LM said, look at Russia now.

There is still a huge amount of progress that needs to made, and it's important that people in a position of power (politicans, and also celebrities - people others look up to) do what they can to spread awareness. I'm not saying that LG has done more than anybody else - it's not a competition. But the fact she does anything at all, let alone attend rallies, give speeches and so on, should only be commended. As somebody else pointed out, Gaga as well as Madonna, Liza and Cher to name a few, have done more than any of us have. Just because it's perhaps not as much as a career danger nowadays as it was then, should not be a stick to beat Gaga and others her generation with. They can't help when they were born and I'm sure they don't think they're doing something that nobody else did before. The fact they continue to speak out and fight for equality is what really matters, not who did the most, and who endangered their career the most.

Being gay is no where near an issue as it was. Sure there are still some bigots but its accepted now. Gay marriage and cival partnerships are also legal in most leading countries. Nothing ill informed about that. Time have changed and people have accepted this. Russia isn't in the west. That's also a separate issue.

Also I don't care who did the most to support gay rights etc. It was a post made by LM that tried to turn it into a competition. Like I said. I take issue with anyone trying to down play the work Cher in particular has done. I never downplayed Gaga's efforts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being gay is no where near an issue as it was. Sure there are still some bigots but its accepted now. Gay marriage and cival partnerships are also legal in most leading countries. Nothing ill informed about that. Time have changed and people have accepted this. Russia isn't in the west. That's also a separate issue.

Also I don't care who did the most to support gay rights etc. It was a post made by LM that tried to turn it into a competition. Like I said. I take issue with anyone trying to down play the work Cher in particular has done. I never downplayed Gaga's efforts.

No not you personally - but it's been said before.

Re being gay now. Of course things have changed over the years but it's still not an easy ride and it's certainly not confined to just bigots. Homophobia is rifer than you probably imagine, it's just perhaps in our circles not as spoken about as before - doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Russia might not be the west but neither is it a 3rd world country and even if it were, shouldn't be dismissed. What's going on there is nothing short of an atrocity and just because things are better in Europe does not mean that the fight is over. Look at the struggles that are going on in the US now. Sure gay marriage is becoming legal in most states but IMO, the amount of opposition the bills have come up against is unbelievable and still a sure enough sign that being gay is not accepted in the whole of the Western world.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight, little monster originally said that Gaga has done more for gay rights in regards to the two issues they mentioned, but that was not what came across.
    How it was worded looked as if they were saying that Gaga has done more for gay rights than Madonna, Cher etc have ever done.
    gpk and Hit em up obviously didn't know what LM really meant because it wasn't worded correctly.
    Then it got a bit personal and overreactions and drama happened.

Therefore I proclaim this a big misunderstanding, and that we all move on and talk about Artpop again, no harm done, the end.

I am really excited to get my album tomorrow!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not you personally - but it's been said before.

Re being gay now. Of course things have changed over the years but it's still not an easy ride and it's certainly not confined to just bigots. Homophobia is rifer than you probably imagine, it's just perhaps in our circles not as spoken about as before - doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Russia might not be the west but neither is it a 3rd world country and even if it were, shouldn't be dismissed. What's going on there is nothing short of an atrocity and just because things are better in Europe does not mean that the fight is over. Look at the struggles that are going on in the US now. Sure gay marriage is becoming legal in most states but IMO, the amount of opposition the bills have come up against is unbelievable and still a sure enough sign that being gay is not accepted in the whole of the Western world.

I work in a school a few days each week and teenagers in particular really don't care if you are gay or not. Sure their are homophobic people around but there are also racists still around. A section of bigots will always exist no matter where you go. The fact gay marriage is now legal in most the western world indicates how far times have changed. Also as a gay man myself I can say how much I have seen attitudes change. Some of you are making it seem like we are back in the 1950s.
    AdzPower wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, little monster originally said that Gaga has done more for gay rights in regards to the two issues they mentioned, but that was not what came across.
    How it was worded looked as if they were saying that Gaga has done more for gay rights than Madonna, Cher etc have ever done.
    gpk and Hit em up obviously didn't know what LM really meant because it wasn't worded correctly.

Therefore I proclaim this a big misunderstanding, and that we all move on and talk about Artpop again, no harm done, the end.

I drew a line under it posts back but I do object to being branded a bully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »

Good post! :)

I'm so excited for the launch tonight and also getting my album tomorrow! I can't wait to see what Gaga's got planned for the party and whilst I'm not staying up to 4:30 in the morning (sorry Gags) i'll catch up tomorrow and see what's up. Apparently Volantis is a flying dress so that'll be awesome :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    The album will be released in four hours on iTunes, I can't wait!
    Whilst I personally anticipated Katy Perry's Prism more, I still am looking forward to Artpop. I like everything I've heard so far, and from the previews I haven't found anything I don't like.
    Even the polarizing Fashion! sounds great to me!

I have one note, though, but it's been said many times, I'm sure. The re-recorded vocals on Aura, especially in the first verse, bring the song down a little. Other than that, it sounds like her vocals are much "rawer" and not digitally altered, it sounds like she had fun recording, and not just went into the booth to sing and then out.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Aaaaaaaaaaaah get out of my head Venus
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one note, though, but it's been said many times, I'm sure. The re-recorded vocals on Aura, especially in the first verse, bring the song down a little. Other than that, it sounds like her vocals are much "rawer" and not digitally altered, it sounds like she had fun recording, and not just went into the booth to sing and then out.

I did find the change unnecessary, but I'm also glad most of the original was kept, especially the high note at 03:20 (Do you wanna touch me cosmic LUHVAH?), if that was changed it would have ruined the whole song for me. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    I did find the change unnecessary, but I'm also glad most of the original was kept, especially the high note at 03:20 (Do you wanna touch me cosmic LUHVAH?), if that was changed it would have ruined the whole song for me. :p
    Yeah, I'm glad she kept that too. That, and the auto tune in the second verse when she sings "I may not walk on your street or shoot a gun on your soil"... Sounds awesome.

Also, judging from the previews, and what people have said on here, I'm very much looking forward to hear Mary Jane Holland as it's been deemed the Bloody Mary of Artpop (I just realized both songs have the name "Mary" in them lol).. Bloody Mary was my favorite song off of BTW.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaaaaaaaaaaah get out of my head Venus

When you touch me I die
    Just a little inside
    I wonder if this could be love

RelateableGa. The chorus sounds like something from ABBA's 'Arrival' album. Most impressive.

I love Venus, GUY, ARTPOP and Sexxx Dreams. Fashion doesn't do that much for me, but it's cute. I'm toying with the idea of replacing the studio versions of Aura and Sexxx Dreams with the demo and Swinefest recording respectively.. They're so much better. :cry:
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coz I'm.................BROKEN
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one hour until I listen to ARTPOP for the first time. Exciting!
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    coz I'm.................BROKEN

HURTS... more than I can say :cry:
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HURTS... more than I can say :cry:

And it was... Kinda dirty oww
  • matty_andersonmatty_anderson Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to say it but this is going to be the first Lady GaGa album I won't be buying! I'm really not liking this era at all. Gypsy however is an awesome song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's apparently performing the whole of ARTPOP tonight! Very exciting!