Options

Laura Kuenssberg joins Newsnight as "Chief correspondent / presenter"; Esler departs

mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very good news for Newsnight - Laura K is to join as "chief correspondent and presenter".

Though sorry to hear that Gavin Esler is leaving.

Would have preferred Kirsty Wark to go - simply because she constantly interrupts every interviewee every few seconds.

But overall good news I think.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/nov/12/bbc-newsnight-itv-laura-kuenssberg

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    She wasn't at ITV very long.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Bit of a lack of loyalty on her part IMO the fact she jumps ship every chance she gets..
    Not a particularly professional attitude
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should have stayed as she would soon have got an anchor role with itv news
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad she's back at the BBC, wasted on ITV. Ian Katz is making some impressive hires at Newsnight, has he got an increased budget?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could this be positioning herself (and indeed the BBC positioning her) for Political Editor post Nick Robinson.

I don't think she's ready for that position yet and I would expect Nick Robinson to now go through the GE. But he became Political Editor in 2005 (after GE) and was it not reported that he was considered or went for a "Today" presenter role recently? So I suspect he'll move onto something else post GE as by then he'll have done 10 years.

Laura K could be ideal for the role by then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »

Long term she will do far, far better than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Ian Katz is making some impressive hires at Newsnight, has he got an increased budget?

Don't know whether he has actually got any extra cash but Lord Hall certainly made it clear that he wanted Newsnight to be revitalised and that it was a very high priority - as it should be being an absolutely fundamental example of what the BBC is all about.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was awful when she did it a few months back, and she did News at Ten too, so you'd expect her to be more suited to that.

It's a good move for her (she'd still be on the BBC News Channel as a correspondent otherwise), shes a good journalist but I don't think she was ever particularly suited to ITV, perhaps because she comes across as very conservative.
  • Options
    am1969am1969 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    She wasn't at ITV very long.

She was never going to stick around there too long. In the world of the 24 hour news channels from the BBC and SKY. Everyone already knows the news of the day when the ITV evening news comes on air.

Glad she is returning to the BBC.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news. Great to have Laura K back at the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet she can't wait to dance to Thriller and interview Kermit The Frog
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Bit of a lack of loyalty on her part IMO the fact she jumps ship every chance she gets..
    Not a particularly professional attitude

That's how people climb the greasy career ladder. Those who show loyalty get overlooked for promotion while those who jump around are seen to have ambition and to be high flyers. Often the best way to get a promotion in a business is to leave for a couple of years then come back.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Could this be positioning herself (and indeed the BBC positioning her) for Political Editor post Nick Robinson.

I don't think she's ready for that position yet and I would expect Nick Robinson to now go through the GE. But he became Political Editor in 2005 (after GE) and was it not reported that he was considered or went for a "Today" presenter role recently? So I suspect he'll move onto something else post GE as by then he'll have done 10 years.

Laura K could be ideal for the role by then.

Could well be. I always thought the timing of her BBC departure was interesting. It seemed she had stuck around after the GE, expecting Nick Robinson (as most did) to move and therefore open up opportunities up the BBC's political ladder. After a year, it became clear it wasn't going to happen, and Laura was on the move. Glad to see her back though - she's excellent on politics, but never totally convinced me in a Business role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    That's how people climb the greasy career ladder. Those who show loyalty get overlooked for promotion while those who jump around are seen to have ambition and to be high flyers. Often the best way to get a promotion in a business is to leave for a couple of years then come back.

Hate to say it but you're right - loyalty does not mean anything to many organisations out there. You get cases where in the same department someone who has been there 10 years is earning half of what a new recruit in the same role and position is getting because they hop between places.

There are a few out there who use a similar philosophy when it comes to personal relationships too :rolleyes:
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    am1969 wrote: »
    She was never going to stick around there too long. In the world of the 24 hour news channels from the BBC and SKY. Everyone already knows the news of the day when the ITV evening news comes on air.

24 hour news channels get a tiny fraction of the audience of BBC News & ITV News. Scheduled bulletins are still how the vast majority of viewers access their news.
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    24 hour news channels get a tiny fraction of the audience of BBC News & ITV News. Scheduled bulletins are still how the vast majority of viewers access their news.

Bang on! Though it's a shame ITV didn't keep their News channel...yes it cost money but image is also important...
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Bet she can't wait to dance to Thriller and interview Kermit The Frog
    Both of which were at the very end of the show and lasted for all of.. what?... 30 seconds each.

So your point was ..... what,, exactly? :confused:

(Don't worry. It was a rhetorical question. Your point was pointless.)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Glad she's back at the BBC, wasted on ITV. Ian Katz is making some impressive hires at Newsnight, has he got an increased budget?

I thought she might move back, ITV News / ITN is a bit of a dead end with no 24 hours news service and a limited number of bulletins. Much more opportunities for her at BBC so be good to see her back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both of which were at the very end of the show and lasted for all of.. what?... 30 seconds each.

So your point was ..... what,, exactly? :confused:

(Don't worry. It was a rhetorical question. Your point was pointless.)

Have you finished talking to your self - must be a NewsNight viewer if you keep interrupting!

My point was that it's now trying to be trendy through ill judged stunts
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    Bang on! Though it's a shame ITV didn't keep their News channel...yes it cost money but image is also important...

The ITV News Channel was poorly resourced and proved there wasn't room in the UK market for three news channels. Does anyone really miss it ?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The ITV News Channel was poorly resourced and proved there wasn't room in the UK market for three news channels. Does anyone really miss it ?
    It could have carved out its place, but the move to a part-time status on DDT (it made way for live football) helped to secure its demise with the viewers.

What's the point of a rolling news channel if it's off-air at the very time when a story breaks or develops?
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    ... Would have preferred Kirsty Wark to go - simply because she constantly interrupts every interviewee every few seconds ...

Andrew Neil is the worst for that.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh, which current anchor is on the way out?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Have you finished talking to your self ...
    I made a post in a public forum so pretty sure I'm not "talking to myself" at all! :rolleyes:
    - must be a NewsNight viewer if you keep interrupting!
    Nope. Never watched a single full edition; just occasional clips.
    My point was that it's now trying to be trendy through ill judged stunts
    No. They're just trying to end a hard-news show with a lighter item. An "and finally..." if you like. Nothing new, really.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Well done Laura and welcome back to the Beeb.

Nice to see a woman getting a job because she's the best candidate rather than just because she's a woman.