Options

Britney's unedited vocals...ouch

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheBigBoyTheBigBoy Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    This is proof that Britney can sing, if she could not sing she would never have got a record deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTkd7H4fHk
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have to side with william on a couple of points here. firstly, his observation that this was not released on the internet in the spirit of kindness is probably spot on and secondly, it may not have been meant to be a proper "take".

what surprises me is that she records in this way at all.:o i would have had her pegged as the type of recording artist that recorded a few lines at a time, rather than doing full takes of any given song. its no secret she's not amazingly gifted in vocal department, so i always imagined her recording sections at a time like many other pop singers do.

i have no reason to disbelieve william or doubt his integrity. he takes no prisoners and speaks as he finds, he simply doesn't pander to any given fan-base by pacifying them with platitudes. i remember when the song leaked, william was bombarded with fan complaints about the over-use of auto-tune on the track, but he asserted this was added after he had compled his production on the track.

britney is no favourite of mine by any means, i feel sorry for her now more than anything else. she's a shadow of the performer she once was and her standard of music is in decline. its not as if she can blame age on her decline, because she is still relatively young and music is her sole focus professionally.

the problem lies with her management and her team that keep hyping up her comebacks suggesting people are going to be amazed by her progression.:( her choreographer said that she was "taking risks" on "femme fatale", which wasn't really the case and with "britney jean", "sources" alleged that she was taking more ownership whilst upping her game.:blush: her manager even asserted that her vegas shows would feature as many live vocals as possible, its like she is constantly hyped to the point where she will always inevitably disappoint.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Somebody could have messed with the recording to make Britney sound bad, A recording of Jennifer Lopez got leaked a few years ago where she could not hit a high note but got it the second time. It's somebody hacking in too the computes at the record company's trying to make people look bad
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autotune is one of those things that everyone thinks they know about, but few actually do. It can't correct bad singing, it just adjusts the pitch and intonation, and frankly in this case it's so out of tune that autotuning it would just result in the vocals sounding metallic, so I'm sceptical that this was ever a finished take.

It's also worth remembering that the recording of vocals usually requires many recordings of the song, the best parts of which are then edited together (and that was the process before autotune came along too). No-one walks into the studio, records one pitch perfect version and then leaves. Autotune is really just a final touch.

I'd like someone to run the acapella throughautotune and see whether it matches up to the finished song, but that would be impossible since the person who leaked it has added music.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigBoy wrote: »
    This is proof that Britney can sing, if she could not sing she would never have got a record deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTkd7H4fHk

Personally think that proves she can't sing. She was a production puppet to sell records, it was all about the look not the voice, if you can't see that than you are seriously blinkered.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one that's gone viral is an obvious fake, I'm shocked people believe it.

Britney's actual warm-up vocal can be heard on here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-FBtnaYys
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if the one I listened to is genuine or not (currently listening to the last link posted which is very different).

My thoughts are that (if the first I listened to was real) perhaps she's just totally lazy. They're going to run her vocals through autotune so why bother singing it properly?

That's just a thought I had when listening to it. I don't know because as I said I've no idea if it's genuine, and there's tons of other possible reasons including she just can't sing anymore. But even I can sing better than what I heard, and I can barely hold a tune! That sounded to me like (if it was a genuine take) someone who couldn't be bothered to try singing the lines. I personally can't see how her voice has deteriorated that much, but hey...I don't know. I wasn't there.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know why, if Orbit is correct, most of the vocals on our new album are 1st takes, with the only edit being to warm up the vocals with a touch of reverb and the occasional delay.

As for Britneys efforts - Ouch!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    I mean I know she's been preeeeetty bad over the past few years, but the girl can (/could) sing. She was an incredible singer as a kid, and she didn't have her 'vocal quirk' as strong until her album came out. I'm sure I read a story that it was the label's idea to play up on that style of singing for her, but I'm sure that would be another factor to take it's toll on her voice.

I saw some vids of Britney on the Mickey Mouse Club and Star Search as a kid and she had a really strong voice then! I read somewhere that she was originally gonna record Sheryl Crow-type music (country/adult contemporary) but more "young" (if that makes sense) but her label suggested she go pop and I think that meant changing her singing style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think it matters if she uses auto-tune! When people make music you can sing line by line in a recording studio. You can get the best vocals in a studio by singing the same parts again and again. When you sing live you only have one chance to get the song right.

It's not like Katy Perry and Lady gaga have never used auto-tune, it's part of the music now
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it was because I was only listening to it through one earphone, but it wasn't that bad.

Am I missing something from the second ear?