Sky Sports 5 - European Football Channel

Comments

• alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I think Sky are in danger of making a bit of a mess of this whole thing. I know they want to encourage activation to try to tempt people with the broadband offer but the way they've done it only really works if you don't actually have to activate.

If right from the Super Cup they'd been saying 'this is a trial period. You will need to activate SS5 by 25th August (or whatever) or else you won't be able to watch this channel' then that would be clear and fair enough. But it's always seemed that you wouldn't actually have to activate the channel to watch so if it now turns out you do then I think they've handled it wrong.

I think it's already a mess. My theory is that they'll know how many activations they have against how many active Sky Sports subscribers they have. I'm guessing that ratio was quite low at the start of the season, and rather than having annoyed customers calling up when they got an information screen in place of the Super Cup, they didn't put the activation requirement into place. The fact that they're still going along with the "to guarantee continued viewing, you need to activate" line rather than just "to continue viewing..." suggests that they're still not happy that the % of activated SS subscribers is/will be high enough come Wednesday to avoid a load of angry calls from people who can't watch the Champions League match they believe they've paid for.
  • Ryan_BestRyan_Best Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    So on the real Madrid game tonight the commentator said the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85O-8Yu1Lk
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm baffled by all of this.

Is there anyway to just activate the channel without signing that 2 year "deal"?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is the new way to inject a bit of tension and drama to watching sport. A sort of Russian roulette style threat to encrypt the channel at random unless you do something the presenter/commentator tells you to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha.

I think I'll just cancel Sky Sports and stream games online. That'll show them for being idiots!
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is there anyway to just activate the channel without signing that 2 year "deal"?

Of course!

This is precisely what Sky have been trying to hoodwink people into believing - that you can't activate SS5 unless you take their broadband offer.

The two things are completely independent from each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what do I do? Just press the red button?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why they would even threaten to cut it off? I pay a lot of money already for these sports channels. If it's there why not just leave it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what do I do? Just press the red button?

Yep, just press the red button and follow the process.

You might then be sent a letter from Sky about their broadband offer but you can just put that straight in the bin if you want.
    I don't understand why they would even threaten to cut it off?

Because they want to entice people with their broadband offer and this is the main way they have of doing that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. Thanks.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having info about the Sky Broadband deal on Sky Sports 5 would make sense if it was on VM or Now TV. I don't really see the need for them to do it on there own boxes through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see they are even being a little crafty when you activate.

"PRESS BLUE TO CONTINUE"

"PRESS BLUE TO CONTINUE"

"PRESS BLUE TO sign up for two years broadband. Press green to activate Sky Sports 5"

Honestly. These people.
  • wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I activated mine on line and I checked my package and it states Sky Sports 5 in what I subscribe to

I should also mention I put a post on complaining that last week they had dne repeats of their CL matches on Weds and Thurs morning but this week they weren't. I note on Thurs am they are now showing Ars-Bes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, has anyone here who hasn't yet activated SS5 had Arsenal v Besiktas blocked?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nope. Unless they block it at kickoff.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    No - there was never any danger of it being blocked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    No - there was never any danger of it being blocked.

...which means the warnings about needing to activate to guarantee tonight's viewing were the load of crap most people predicted when they were made.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today I received a letter from Sky thanking me for activating SS5... yet I haven't! :D

I think that says it all about the shambles that this whole concept has been.
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have the sports package, sports 5 appeared and I am watching it without 'activating' It's a con to get you roped in for 2 yrs. press red and read the t and c's There could be a fee for leaving BEFORE the 2 yrs is up

Just to repeat I have sky sports 5 WITHOUT signing up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    So, has anyone here who hasn't yet activated SS5 had Arsenal v Besiktas blocked?

yes! just turned over & i cant get on the channel, usual info box about upgrading my subscription
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,156
    Forum Member
    I've not activated but I'm getting the match. It's a bit of a shambolic way to do things as I'm alread a unlimited Skybroadband customer and pay for the full wack apart from Sky Talk.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Even more stupid to put the presenter in the situation where he was telling the viewers that they HAD to activate to make sure you could watch the match tonight.
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiBiase wrote: »
    yes! just turned over & i cant get on the channel, usual info box about upgrading my subscription

Have you got the sky sports package?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    semiminted wrote: »
    Have you got the sky sports package?

Oh yes of course.

i've been watching SP5 since it first came on a few weeks ago.

Just put a call into them & the guy said my subscription had been put on 'hold' but had no idea why, seconds later he pressed a button & the channel came back on.

only 40mins of the match missed >:(
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never activated , yet watching the game now. Sterling just announced you have to activate to carry on watching then admitted he didn't know what that ment.

Sky really have lost the plot.