Words That People Get Mixed Up

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    It usually has to do with accent. They are using ask but due to accent it sounds like axe. Kind of like how you use aboot eh?

Haha but no. I wear a boot...or two....when I'm out and about. :):)
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    remuneration instead of renumeration

its definition is number oriented so it makes sense to say numeral not muneral in the word!
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Discrete and discreet are two words that people can't be arsed learning what they mean so just pick them randomly. Bit like complimentary and complementary.
  • FishyFooFishyFoo Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    On Route is one I see regularly and a one off (thankfully) was Lack Toast and tolerant, brilliant !
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know why people have started using the word arsed instead of bothered.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People get imply and infer mixed up a lot.
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who use brought instead of bought. :(

Are you stupid?
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Pacific and Specific

Loads of people say:
    Hospical instead of hospital.
    Ambliance instead of ambulance
    Enviroment instead of environment

But I do like it when people refer to the Internet as Tinternet.

Don't forget chimbley and skellington :D
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Disinterested and uninterested

Accept and except.

Practise and practice

Infidelity and hi- fidelity;-)

This reminded me of a time when someone called me and asked me to translate something for them that they'd seen in France.
    I said to put it in an email and I'd do it when I had time.
    He said that it was only 3 words, so I said, O.K., what's the first one.
    He said sauf, I said that means except, he said ACCept?
    I said no, except, as in, we all went, except blank, next word?
    He said poids, he had to spell it, I said weight, he said, as in on the corner?
    I said no, as in grams or kilos, last word?
    He said lords, but when pressed, spelt it as lourds, I said heavy, and as I said it the penny dropped.
    I said, did you see this on a road sign?
    Yes, why?
    I said poid-lourds is a hyphenated word that means a truck, or lorry in France, literally a heavy weight.
    The three words on a road sign mean, except trucks, now go away and plague someone else.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen someone on another forum "running the whole gamete". Which was intriguing.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 'hospickle' one is accent..........when I was growing up in Lancs we would say

lickle for little
    bockle for bottle
    neckle for nettle
    hospickle for hospital

and so on
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People that type defiantly instead of definitely.

Can't blame it on spell check as I've seen far too often.

And as someone mentioned, loose instead of lose.
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    The infamous misuse of They're, There & Their along with Your and You're:

"Your a ****" - That may well be, but you're an illiterate cretin.

"There/their a bunch of *****" - I am sure they are, but they're possibly better educated.

:D
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read a review of a pram in which the reviewer stated that the pram was 'difficult to claps'. She repeatedly used this word and I had visions of her trying to applaud the pram rather than collapse it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know why people have started using the word arsed instead of bothered.

It's a preferred term that's been in use forever where I live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    incy wincy wrote: »
    I read a review of a pram in which the reviewer stated that the pram was 'difficult to claps'. She repeatedly used this word and I had visions of her trying to applaud the pram rather than collapse it.

Plice is the term used now for police
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,592
    Forum Member
    Curb/kerb.

I parked my car parallel to the curb.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Affect and effect :p
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds of a current colleague of mine who repeadtedly (both in writing & speech) uses the word 'been' to mean 'being' as in "we have a shipment been delivered tomorrow"....annoys the hell out of me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd suggest that most of the misuse of words is due to the fact that few people read enough printed books.
    The publishing industry apply high standards to their works and employ educated editors and proof-readers who filter out the mistakes.
    A majority of written works is now guff published on the internet and if people don't know the right word to use they just use one that sounds about right. This includes stuff published by professional journalists.
    Other people read this nonsense and copy it.

We are replacing learning written English from those who know to learning it from those who don't.
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I would certainly agree, children especially, read far less these days and it can have a profound effect on their vocabulary and ability to express themselves meaningfully.
    My Nephew actually despises me due to the fact I often buy him books when all he really wants is the latest Xbox game.
    Youth as they say, is wasted on the young.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    It's a preferred term that's been in use forever where I live.

I'd never come across it until recently. Anyhow, the standard of written and spoken English is actually dire, except among people who learn it as a second language, it seems to me. It's now got to the stage where people like lawyers being interviewed on TV can't speak correct English grammar. Spell checkers aren't much help either as if I personally can't spell a word it often alters it to something totally wrong. If you don't read everything two or three times it is easy to miss this. Sometimes it's funny though----
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never come across it until recently. Anyhow, the standard of written and spoken English is actually dire, except among people who learn it as a second language, it seems to me. It's now got to the stage where people like lawyers being interviewed on TV can't speak correct English grammar. Spell checkers aren't much help either as if I personally can't spell a word it often alters it to something totally wrong. If you don't read everything two or three times it is easy to miss this. Sometimes it's funny though----

It's probably just regional slang but the good thing about the internet and sites like this is we all get to see and share new terms.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of and have

It's - I would have not I would of
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EuanMebabe wrote: »
    Don't forget chimbley and skellington :D

I love the (non) word skellington!