The Sims 4

Comments

• Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so I brought the Sims 4 last night. I was a little disappointed with character customization. The customization you can do on the face and body is amazing but the customization on the cloths is a huge step back from the Sims 3 and is sadly rather basic :(

I only got to play 5 minutes of actual game play as my laptop had an accident, and the screen is now cracked >:( but what was difficult with game play was the camera, it will probably take me a while to get use to the change.

Now to sit and wait for my new screen to come before I can play again... :cry:
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Aw that sucks.

I'm still on the fence about the game myself. I'm sort of tempted by the newness of it all, and yet all the reviews I've seen have nearly all been 50-50, so I know its not going to be great.

But then I think of what potential it has, especially all the new features that EA will sell to us.... and then that puts me off. lol
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed the camera to the Sims 3 camera which you can do in settings. will probably switch back at some point but wanted to have fun with the game rather than figuring the camera out.

I quite like it. I always try to judge any sequel (Be it game film whatever) as a new game and not compare it with previous games. I know I will get sucked in to buying every pack they can possibly think of but who cares, I like it and can afford it!

I think you forget just how limited a base game is after you have been playing with EPs for a few years. Always feels sorta empty. Personally I don't mind the baby/toddler changes. That stage in previous games always used to annoy and I would use various mods to age them up quickly. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lym wrote: »
    I got the game last night, I'm loving it so far! :D The graphics are lovely and the loading is so much quicker than the sims 3 and the saving is very quick too! The game also doesn't slow down my pc like the sims 3 did.

You can buy it from cdkeys.com for £25.99, thats where I got mine from.

Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up for cdkeys. I got Sims 4 on there and just looking at another game on origin which I almost bought for £25. Went and had a look on cdkeys and its £6.90! Bargain!
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up for cdkeys. I got Sims 4 on there and just looking at another game on origin which I almost bought for £25. Went and had a look on cdkeys and its £6.90! Bargain!

It really makes you question quite how much money Origin make:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been watching some of the Youtubers Let's Plays.. something that EA should be grateful for - free advertising (although it can work against them too).

Anyway, after a proper look at the Create-a-Sim, I think I could probably get used to there being no CAS. Seems like they've given you plenty of hair and clothing options until they start releasing add-ons.

So now I'm back thinking I might actually get the game.
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    All my sims look really full and grey when they're walking around the house. Does anyone else have this problem? The lighting is the brightest will go.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^
    Yes actually I've noticed this too.....the indoor lighting seems to be really dull and grey, and the game in general seems to lack the "colour" of Sims 3.
    I'm still enjoying it a lot though.
  • lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really love the build features in this version, been building houses more than playing Live mode :p I made a couple of Speed Build videos too, links below :) You can find my houses or rooms through the gallery by searching for my Origin ID: Arin_Kaylin

Shallow Falls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsZQ5jYZJrc

Snowvale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae2W-iOihKU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^
    Those are really impressive and have given me some ideas:)
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying the game so far. I absolutely hated the Sims 3 and from what I've played so far I am far more comfortable with the Sims 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I'm curious, was there anything in particular about TS3 you didn't like or was it just a general thing?

I'd played The Sims, but not TS2, so it felt such a fresh start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the same, didn't really take to 3 (still bought all the packs though). Don't really know why but much preferred Sims 2. 3 just didn't hold my interest for long play sessions.

So far I prefer base game 4 to base game 3. Don't think I ever played 2 with just the base game, by the time I bought it there was already a few expansions out. I played 1 too but can't really remember it.
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I'm curious, was there anything in particular about TS3 you didn't like or was it just a general thing?

I'd played The Sims, but not TS2, so it felt such a fresh start.

Well, the main problem was it never ran fast enough and always lagged. I couldn't play it all on my laptop and was stuck having to play it on the desktop which was not convenient. I also really didn't like the open world gameplay (I'm probably in the minority on that one), it just always felt too much for me. I also found the graphics rather dark and flat, but maybe that's just because of the computer I was on.

Usually I'd log on, create a sim, get a house and by the time I'd done that if lost interest in the game. I never bought a single expansion pack and ended up re-installing the Sims 2 and playing that instead because I preferred everything about it.

I really wanted to like the Sims 3 and it just really disappointed me. The Sims 4 hasn't so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's fair enough. I'll be honest, I initially played TS3 for about a month and then sort of got bored. It wasn't until I realised I had some free Simpoints with the base game that I went on to the site to see what I could get (Mid-Century set swung it for me!). Then I discovered there was so much more to the game, looking at the EPs in more detail.

One good quote I've heard about TS4 is that one of its biggest flaws is that TS3 exists. It wouldn't get half the flack if we didn't already know what they are capable of (and know that they're going to resell features back to us).

I'm just curious to see what direction they will go. It doesn't look like there's going to be a store, so will it all be done with EPs and SPs? And will they be digital download only?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fired up TS3 today and to me, all of a sudden, its starting to look a little old. That'll teach me to keep watching LPs of TS4. I know there's not a huge leap in graphics between the two, in fact four is more toony than three, but it still manages to look better.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fired up TS3 today and to me, all of a sudden, its starting to look a little old. That'll teach me to keep watching LPs of TS4. I know there's not a huge leap in graphics between the two, in fact four is more toony than three, but it still manages to look better.

This was my daughters view. After a couple of days the game lost her saves. We went through a convoluted process of trying various saves in the save file but to no avail. Then origin refused to load any patches. Then Origin refused to start up for no apparent reason whatsoever.. Then origin refused to load. Overall the game was a great disappointment and a very frustrating waste of time. She has uninstalled Sims 4 and reloaded all the Sims 3 packages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible your Sims will actually gain weight if you don't make them do exercise?!
    My female sim's hips have super-sized since I first created her:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep they can gain weight. I think it is more down to what food they area eating rather than not having them do excercise but apparently the treadmill is quite effective at getting them to lose it again as well as changing what they are eating. Much lIke real life!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I caved and got it. (review to follow).

I guess this question has been asked already but now when I double click the desktop icon I get an Origin log in screen. I thought this was all installed on my computer and shouldn't need Origin after verification?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I caved and got it. (review to follow).

I guess this question has been asked already but now when I double click the desktop icon I get an Origin log in screen. I thought this was all installed on my computer and shouldn't need Origin after verification?

Origin is the DRM much like Steam and uPlay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ah ok.

And fwiw, here's my 2¢..

First impressions on the game are always going to be skewed if you go straight from TS3. You do miss a some of the things that have been omitted, but maybe part of that is just down to habit?
    I found myself going for the CAS to change a pattern on a shirt, only to remind myself that its a bit wyswyg. Although, for the most part, its not a huge issue. And there are bound to be further add-ons for clothing, let alone any of the other build-buy items.

Gameplay wise, not too bad, and I can certainly see the potential for expansion. Does it feel sparse? Well after 3, yes, but as a base game in its own right, nah its not that bad.

Build mode is quite impressive, and will be even better once it becomes second nature to me like the former game.

Those are just some impressions/ramblings from a few hours gameplay. Overall, a decent enough start, and Maxis set its bar quite high with TS3, which doesn't help but if they at the least manage to match what they've done before (the good parts, not the crap SPs ;) ) then TS4 should become a great game.

3½ out of 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this on Sims VIP. Hopefully this will be confirmed in the announcement at 8pm BST.
    During an EA conference call this morning, The Sims team officially announced they will begin delivering brand new game content/features via free Sims 4 patches. Along with this official announcement, EA also provided us with some exclusive images of some of the upcoming content.

• Ghosts (October 1st)

• Star Wars Costumes (October 1st)

• New Gnome (October 1st)

• New Eye Colors (October 1st)

• Pools (November 2014)

• Careers (December 2014)
    http://simsvip.com/2014/10/01/ea-announces-new-game-content-via-game-patches/

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the official blurb off the blog. This is for today's patch...
    Ghosts – October brings the spoooooky addition of Ghosts to The Sims 4. Your dead Sims can now rejoin the world of the living, where they maintain all the attributes they had a as a Sim, but with special new behaviors based on how they died. Invite them to join your Sims’ household and they can be playable characters; if you dare, you might even find a way to bring your ghosts back to life.

Star Wars Costumes – Did you feel that disturbance in The Force? It was probably our new Star Wars Costume Set. Outfit your Sims in Luke Skywalker’s X-wing pilot suit, Leia’s white robes and awesome cinnamon buns, Darth Vader’s suit and, yes, even Yoda. I mean, who out there hasn’t dressed as Yoda for Halloween, right? Now you can in The Sims 4, too!

Eye Colors – Community requests like new eye colors are in there, too. I have personally just given all my Sims purple eyes. Because I can. We’ve also fixed a few minor bugs as well.

And in November and December..
    Pools – In November, get your Sim-suits ready (too much pun? Sorry!) because pools will make their triumphant debut in The Sims 4.

Careers – December is Put-Your-Sims-To-Work Month, as we introduce new Career paths and rewards.
    http://simsvip.com/2014/10/01/community-blog-free-content-updates-in-the-sims-4/#more-43766

As a Disney nerd I'm already excited over the tie-in with Star Wars. What's next? Marvel? :D

And here's the trailer for the Ghosts..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kq_VDA8cM
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't played The Sims 4 a great deal as I found it very limited, so I'm glad to see there's new stuff planned (and the much demanded swimming pools will return). I've just received the latest update upon opening Origin.