• Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    An American In Paris (1951) - 8.5/10
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Melancholia- 2/10

Just odd, only watched it cause was filmed near where we live!
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stand Up Guys (LINK)

I did not like it. I don't mind films that's all "talkie" but there's nothing interesting here. I knew it wasn't an action film so I was ok with that but don't put me to sleep! There's a couple of mildly amusing moments (I was being generous when I wrote that) but it felt like no one (director, writer, actors) knew exactly what they wanted to do or say. The talents of Al Pacino (what the hell happened to this guy? He used to make great films!) and Christopher Walken are squandered in this slow-paced comedy-drama. Big thumbs down.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Impossible - 5/10. Predictable as ****.

Jumanji - 5/10. First time I've seen this and it was... well, weird.

The Day Of The Jackal - 8/10. Still a gem.

The Place Beyond The Pines - 6/10. First half was mildly interesting, and the second half simply fell apart while rushing to its conclusion. Disappointing.

The Beach - 5/10. A curate's egg.

Not a decent week, really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Tonight i watched The Possessed..What crap film, about the girl and the box getting evil demon in her..i shall give it a 3/10..How silly for a true story lol

and Eden..another true story, but wasn't too bad..so i shall give it a 6/10

:D
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Is The End - Seth Rogen, James Franco and assorted others face the apocalypse as themselves. Thought it was hilarious, I was laughing at their stupidity the whole way through. Much better than I expected. 8/10

At World's End - Simon Pegg also faces the end of the world along with Nick Frost and Martin Freeman. Some great performances but nowhere as funny as the other one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    The Great Escape - 09/10. Caught it on Channel 5 for the nth time. Superb cast, one of my favourites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Konga
    It was on the horror channel the other day. It's about a mad scientist who turns his test chimp into a fast-growing monster ape.

And it was terrible in that way only an old cheesy horror film could be.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingpin 6/10 Did enjoy it but didn't leave a massive impression on me afterwards

The Big Lebowski 9/10 Why did I not see this film sooner? Lots of great performances and a complex but intriguing plot and loved the little things you have to really pay attention to.

Iron Man 10/10 Does what it meant to do and does it in style. Robert Downey Jnr was the prefect choice. He does snarky/sexy/deep so well.
  • Options
    P_PP_P Posts: 18,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About Time - 8/10

Thought it was a nice film that was enjoyable and not too over the top. :)

Donna from Neighbours was in it too :eek: :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silver linings playbook - 7/10. It was OK. Wouldn't want to watch it again.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched 3 DVDs last week

Silver Linings Playbook 7/10
    In Search of a Midnight Kiss 9/10
    Wall Street 10/10 (never get sick of watching it)
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American Graffiti - Good enough. A keeper.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LA Confidential - Modern film noir murder mystery with 3 good leads and good supporting cast

War - Also a murder mystery in a way but mostly shoot em up gang warfare revenge stuff

Event Horizon - A good little sci-fi horror. Seen it a few times now.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    The Ring (the American version).... not as scary the second time round...even with a ten year gap.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ou-sama Gemu (King Game) - 7/10 (but likely to be 5/10 for other people)
    I read the serial novel that was hailed as the most popular Internet novel of 2010, so I had to see this low-budget film adaptation. Surprisingly, better than I expected. Many wooden performances as usual, but the plot held its own. It also doesn't follow the novel that faithfully, which helps to keep it interesting for those who read the novel.

The King Game is a popular school, drinking or party game. Similar to Truth or Dare. Participants write their names on pieces of paper. A name picked is the King, who will issue an order for each targeted participant to obey. An order can be anything - a kiss between two participants, a top off, a silly dance, drink a shot glass of a very spicy sauce, etc. Failing to obey will result with an order of extreme nature -- If not a drinking game, it can range from stripping naked to licking a toilet seat and if a drinking game, a certain number of drinks, e.g. five shots of whiskey. Once all orders in a round are obeyed, another name gets picked and whoever has that name becomes the king of the round. In the novel/film, the King is a mysterious person, who basically terrorises a class with orders through their mobile phones.

The depth of the violence during the game has been toned down quite a lot. Each unlucky participant's demise is pretty brutal in the novel (for example: one participant was stabbed in the eyes before he was hanged), but the film found a way to 'kill off' the unlucky participants almost without a trace of violence. I thought it was a nice touch, actually.

It's billed as a horror film, but I think it's better off described as a slow-burn paranormal suspense/thriller. I would show this to my 12-year-old niece for Halloween.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    LA Confidential - Modern film noir murder mystery with 3 good leads and good supporting cast

Great film. About time I re-watched it. Like the soundtrack, too. Often play the CD when I'm using my rowing machine!
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silver Linings Playbook - just as good as the first time, 9/10
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    After Earth - Utter pish, Jaden Smith is just dreadful and M. Night Shaylaman needs to do us all a favour and stop making movies 0/10
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    After Earth - Utter pish, Jaden Smith is just dreadful and M. Night Shaylaman needs to do us all a favour and stop making movies 0/10
    I'd agree with that and I haven't seen the film yet :p
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: After Earth - I couldn't make it pass the point when the voice over kicked in (at about 1min) and I've got very low standards.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Yesterday

Iron Man (12A) (2008) - Alright not as good as Iron Man 3 though. Not enough action by the time he is ready to fight the movie is over.

Today

R.I.P.D (12A) (2013) - It was alright but not as good as the Men In Black franchise.

The Call (15) (2013) - Better than the last WWE Movie (Dead Man Down) but still fairly average.
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Breakdown starring Kurt Russell. Enjoyable movie 7/10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    35 mins of Trance

please don't bother with this one :sleep:
This discussion has been closed.