BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why when BBC has plenty of good and some excellent summarisers do we find that tonights match has the inane waffle of Robbie Savage?
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember if you dare to criticise anything on 5 live your comments are ‘vile bile’ and you ‘hate’ the presenter or have a ‘grudge’ against them because you are an ‘obsessive’ or a ‘nutter’.

Personally I wouldn’t find this thread particularly interesting if only BBC cheerleaders were allowed to post, a good discussion needs a variety of opinions. Surely it is possible to criticise something on 5 live without being described as a Daily Mail reading BBC hater?

Maybe better if posters had actually listened to a particular show before defending or criticising, or better still actually discuss the content rather than just attacking posters?

[/I]

and I find i'm mostly in agreement with Bill,Cyril,Ian and Streaky amongst others.....

a poster felt the need to defend the context of a comment made by a presenter when I referred to it as impolite and quite rude when signed off from the interviewee .....
    despite the fact they hadn't listened to it just had to challenge that it was down to 5live's informal style to be contrary....... without listening to it? :confused:
    instead of attacking the poster just discuss the content of the topic....

I'm not sure they get it though....we don't hate 5live and the BBC per se........
    Ian sums it up above quite succinctly.....
    they spend our taxes on a PSB...we're entitled to question how it's spent...that's all.....commercial tv or radio is a choice to listen to....we don't spend our money on it (unless you have SKY)

incidentally i was in hysterics at the guy who Nolan had on last night who he thought was going to be commenting on IDS' ridiculous suggestion of pensioners giving money back into system but instead started berating him for the costs of flying him from Belfast to Manchester as waste of public money and they were all at it!! :D:D....

he didn't know what to say or how to divert it all :o.....so it's not just us posting here who are bothered....

I've also listened to it for a long time....
    like Talk Radio that's gone downhill into Talksport there are several parts to 5 live that also have compared to the quality of presenter and output they used to have..........

i mean the other night's Livesey text in....which celeb have you wee'd next to in public toilets?? :o is that the level?

we don't hate it - we want it to be better - how is that hating it and working for the daily mail????
    in fact the guardian has been just as critical of VD's working arrangements as the Mail or Private Eye have....

I'd like to have worricker/garvey/glover etc. back....won't happen so need some other new faces maybe.....

none of the comments on here are any worse than written by Private eye....none of it is hate it's comment and discussion and certainly not bile either....
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Well I can't speak for others but most of the time, when a particular piece of output is debated, I try and establish the context by either listening back to it, commenting myself if I heard it the first time, or asking a poster to clarify that context. I think that's only fair, rather than taking, say, a few words from a post or a broadcast and dressing it up as something completely different.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »

none of the comments on here are any worse than written by Private eye....none of it is hate it's comment and discussion and certainly not bile either....

They're probably taken about as seriously as that publication too.

I actually like 5 live the way it is. I could live without the sport and just have the news and light hearted entertainment but that's my.personal view. I'm able to seperate ny.personal taste from what I think is right for the station to do because i know that I'm not the only listener.

Believe me if I was programming a station just for meno one would really want to listen because.it would be ny.personal taste and too niche for anyone else.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've never consumed ANY commercial televison then?

The whole of BBC Radio costs you £25 per year. Even with an overly generous generalisation, you're paying less than £1 of VD's salary.

To be frank, on the quality of output, I would not pay Victoria Derbyshire in washers. There must be hundreds of qualified journalists/presenters who could present this primetime slot better.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Young wrote: »
    Cyril you talk total commonsense – the silent majority are with you all the way.
    We are sick of our station being hijacked by the likes of the dreadful Derbyshire, the awful Bacon and the inept Warburton.
    You are spot on about the phone ins too as they have been hijacked and do not reflect the balance of opinion.
    We all live in hope that the new controller will see the light and give us back our old Five Live which was an accurate balanced sound bite of the day’s news and sport. Not only this it was presented by quality presenters and produced with balance. Five Live in the week day 10.00am – 4.00pm has almost a no go area for the grass root listeners. I never thought I would listen to the distinctly average Talk Sport as an escape ally.
    Perhaps VD should do Woman Hour and we could have the excellent Jane Garvey back.
    Keep it up Cyril you are doing a great job.

Thank you Bill for your undeserved but generous and kind comments, it is very much appreciated.I am greatly encouraged by your support and your extremely perceptive,well considered and observant points of view on 5Live, which I am sure many will agree with.Many thanks again.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Alexander Gordon has probably been reading the classified football results longer than I've been alive. I don't remember anybody else ever reading them on Saturdays. After listening to my team Huddersfield Town on Radio Leeds, I tune into 5 Live to hear James Alexander Gordon read the classified football results. Nobody reads them as brilliantly as James Alexander Gordon. He will be irreplaceable when he retires.

His retirement is the topic I am raising in this post. In the second half of this season, his voice has drastically aged. Amazingly, James Alexander Gordon has managed to read the football results without having to pause or stumble. However, the aging of his voice is obvious, and the impact of this on the reading of the football results is also noticeable.

I think he should retire at the end of this season. I don't think he should go through next season, with his voice aging even more.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing that no coverage of CL on 5L tonight.

Dedicating a programme to Luis Suarez instead....2 weeks after everyone stopped talking about it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

You can listen on Talksport - where they've got one commentator doing the job of the BBC's two.
    Forum Member
    Quick question - did Five Live have the rights to tonight's CL fixtures?
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Gave Bacon a go today and it was actually an enjoyable listen with good guests Robert Peston and Kevin McCloud
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it is more outrageous that the League 2 play-off matches tomorrow won't be on 5 Live or 5 Live Sports Extra.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I think it is more outrageous that the League 2 play-off matches tomorrow won't be on 5 Live or 5 Live Sports Extra.

The legacy of AVK I am afraid as he preferred spending money on so called celebrity presenters to football coverage.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    James Alexander Gordon has probably been reading the classified football results longer than I've been alive. I don't remember anybody else ever reading them on Saturdays. After listening to my team Huddersfield Town on Radio Leeds, I tune into 5 Live to hear James Alexander Gordon read the classified football results. Nobody reads them as brilliantly as James Alexander Gordon. He will be irreplaceable when he retires.

His retirement is the topic I am raising in this post. In the second half of this season, his voice has drastically aged. Amazingly, James Alexander Gordon has managed to read the football results without having to pause or stumble. However, the aging of his voice is obvious, and the impact of this on the reading of the football results is also noticeable.

I think he should retire at the end of this season. I don't think he should go through next season, with his voice aging even more.

Agree. It is a shame that his voice has gone. It will never be the same without him but he should retire before it gets any worse.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question - did Five Live have the rights to tonight's CL fixtures?

No they didn't. Radio rights to matches from UEFA's club competitions (so primarily the Champions League and Europa League) tend to be sold by the clubs involved, unlike TV where things are done centrally (although I believe rights to both finals and the Super Cup game are sold centrally by UEFA). Local radio stations covering their teams and, in the past, talkSPORT have done deals with individual clubs for their European games at the start of the season, but I think 5 Live and certainly talkSPORT nowadays pick up rights on a game-by-game basis.

Since the remaining British teams exited the Champions League in the first knockout stage, Radio 5 Live haven't broadcast any commentaries from the competition while talkSPORT have picked up rights to both legs of Barcelona's quarter-final with Paris Saint-Germain and their semi-final with Bayern Munich (purchasing rights to both matches of each tie before the first leg had taken place). I suspect both stations will cover the final seeing as its on home soil and thus doing an OB should be considerably cheaper than one in continental Europe would be.

I think Radio 5 Live are/were right not to pick up commentary rights to the semi-finals - two of the matches were live on free-to-air television and two of them were live on free-to-air national radio, so really there would have only been a great demand for coverage of the Dortmund v Real Madrid first leg. Also 5 Live typically don't like to do off-tube commentaries, so not only would they have incurred a one-off rights fee but the costs of flights, overnight accommodation etc for their commentary team (I take it their reports on these games were done off-tube however).

Like wns_195, I'd rather Radio 5 Live focused on providing more commentaries from sports competition they do have rights to as part of a wider agreement - tonight's League Two Play-Off Semi-Final matches are a good example, 5 Live has full Football League rights so this would not be an issue. I've no problem with BBC Radio understandably prioritising Chelsea's Europa League semi-final on 5 Live but they could easily simulcast a BBC Local Radio commentary from one of the stations covering one of tonight's competing teams, as they do on a semi-regular basis with Championship fixtures, onto Radio 5 Live Sports Extra. I'm a regular listener to the 5 Live Baseball strand, which is scheduled for 5LSE this evening, but surely they could have rested that programme for one week given the scheduling conflict. On the plus side, both of the second legs of the League Two semi-finals and all four legs of the League One semi-finals are scheduled to be 5LSE commentaries so it's not all bad on this front.
    Forum Member
    So, whilst people might be disappointed about the CL decision. It sounds like it was out of their hands. I agree that when stations do have rights they should use them but it has to be balanced with other things, like your example of FTA TV coverage. And I don't think it's ever been a case of "should we pay for a football match or hike up a leading presenter's salary.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody ever switch over to Talksport when they have an 'exclusive' commentary like last night ?

I don't

But I was listening to Talksport at lunchtime and Andy Gray was doing his normal show with Richard Keys.............in the studio at Milton Keynes ?...........then they said Andy was doing the commentary on tonights match !

So I asssume they were still commenting off the telly like they used to !

I suppose he could have dashed over to Barcelona after the show but surely that's a bit unlikely ?

I remember when you had European Championships or World Cup the R5 commentators used to make a big deal of 'commentary from the stadium' to rub it in that TS were sat in front of the telly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT will have been doing last night's commentary off-tube, as I am fairly certain they will have done for the other three Champions League games they covered without British involvement. I don't see this as being a bad thing - as a commercial station it may have been difficult to justify doing a big OB in order to cover matches without any British involvement on top of the rights fee paid but to my mind it is better to cover something in a cost-effective way than to not bother doing it at all.

When talkSPORT have provided commentaries on British teams in the Champions League since Andy Gray has been with the station, they have typically chosen to pick up rights to away games for the British clubs (rights to their home games purchased from the English clubs - particularly Manchester United and Arsenal - are supposedly far more costly) and have done these commentaries on-site, with Richard Keys and Andy presenting their show on the day of the game and the day after it from the city playing host to the game. So it's pretty obvious when they are on-site and when they aren't.

As for World Cups and European Championships, talkSPORT broadcast the majority of their commentaries from the stadiums but have been known to do a couple of the "less attractive" group games off-tube due to logistical reasons. Obviously BBC Radio has more resources and manpower so has the ability to provide a widespread team doing everything on-site, but I don't think doing the odd game off-tube massively devalues talkSPORT's coverage, especially if you contrast it with other national broadcasters from other countries, who will only cover the games involving their home nation and maybe a handful of other glamour games, either on-site or off-tube, as indeed Radio 5 Live used to prior to the advent of Radio 5 Live Sports Extra ahead of the 2002 World Cup. As such hearing certain Radio 5 Live commentators making "a big deal" out of the relatively minor off-tube element of talkSPORT's coverage at big tournaments doesn't sit well with me.

And yes, I listen to talkSPORT when they have exclusive commentaries - but then I am much more of a listener to that station than I am to Radio 5 Live. I enjoyed Sam Matterface and Andy's commentary last night.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the explanation !

I've only started listening to TS in the last couple of months having got fed up with R5 daytime shows

Must admit that i thought TS was still Radio Daily Mail with constant phone ins about immigration from the 'stands to reason' brigade

:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't hear phone-ins like that on there any more!

talkSPORT moved to a 24/7 sports radio format about 13 months ago, having gradually phased out their non-sports content from about 2009 onwards.
    So, whilst people might be disappointed about the CL decision. It sounds like it was out of their hands.

I don't think it was "out of their hands" as such, I think they had the scope to pick up rights and do an OB from Camp Nou or the Bernabeu if they really wanted too, but took a sensible decision against doing this both from a competitive standpoint (Bayern Munich were 4-0 up from the first leg last night and on Tuesday Borussia Dortmund were 4-1 up from their first leg) and an availability standpoint (Tuesday's game was on ITV, yesterday's was on talkSPORT - I'm not saying that 5 Live should never cover things that are available on other FTA broadcasters, but I think in situations such as this one this should be a consideration). However, Jonathan Wall had blogged a few weeks back that he and his colleagues were considering the possibility of providing Champions League semi-final commentaries and they have broadcast live commentaries on games from that stage of the competition not involving British clubs in previous seasons. Personally I think they made the right call here all things considered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Does anybody ever switch over to Talksport when they have an 'exclusive' commentary like last night ?

I don't

I listen to some football commentaries on TS as I did with the Barcelona game last night and very good it was too with Andy Gray and Sam Matterface ...and then of course there is the added incentive of no Robbie Savage and his inane witterings.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they didn't. Radio rights to matches from UEFA's club competitions (so primarily the Champions League and Europa League) tend to be sold by the clubs involved, unlike TV where things are done centrally (although I believe rights to both finals and the Super Cup game are sold centrally by UEFA).

Though listening to the Millwall-Blackburn game last week, Connor McNamara was growing more disappointed as Barca results coming through saying 'I was supposed to be going out to cover this game next week but unless Barcelona score I won't be'
  • TOON FANTOON FAN Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it was "out of their hands" as such, I think they had the scope to pick up rights and do an OB from Camp Nou or the Bernabeu if they really wanted too, but took a sensible decision against doing this both from a competitive standpoint (Bayern Munich were 4-0 up from the first leg last night and on Tuesday Borussia Dortmund were 4-1 up from their first leg) and an availability standpoint (Tuesday's game was on ITV, yesterday's was on talkSPORT - I'm not saying that 5 Live should never cover things that are available on other FTA broadcasters, but I think in situations such as this one this should be a consideration). However, Jonathan Wall had blogged a few weeks back that he and his colleagues were considering the possibility of providing Champions League semi-final commentaries and they have broadcast live commentaries on games from that stage of the competition not involving British clubs in previous seasons. Personally I think they made the right call here all things considered.

Conor McNamara said last week on Tony Livesey that if the 1st leg had been tighter, they would have gone to Barcelona, instead he did reports from the studio next door.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member

Dedicating a programme to Luis Suarez instead....2 weeks after everyone stopped talking about it

And they gave it a stupid title as well - "Whats eating Luis Suarez". a cheap shot, and as the previous poster says, a subject done to death, not least by %Live themselves.I caught part of it, and they really were scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'm a football fan, but as they did not have the rights to cover the game live they could have showed some imagination and used the time to cover other sports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »

.. and what a fine publication PE is...I've been reading it for the last 45 years and it breaks many news stories far in advance of any national newspaper or radio and tv outlet.Much of the time the other outlets are playing catch up.
This discussion has been closed.