Goldman Sachs profits from food crisis

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The arch capitalist vampire squid scumbags of Goldman Sachs have been making money speculating on food prices.

This doesn't only effect poor countries, we have seen food prices go up 40% in the last seven years on average.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/goldman-bankers-get-rich-betting-on-food-prices-as-millions-starve-8459207.html

Comments

• queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the Independent is as up to date as ever :rolleyes:

That story was first published in December - who knows there may even be a thread on here about it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may have been started by me as well!!! No comment on Goldman Sachs I see though - why the silence?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    It may have been started by me as well!!! No comment on Goldman Sachs I see though - why the silence?

Why would I want to comment on Goldman Sachs, I don't hold a brief for them .............................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why enter the thread then
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I see the Independent is as up to date as ever :rolleyes:

That story was first published in December - who knows there may even be a thread on here about it

It's worth highlighting this every month until something is done about it. These people should be in prison for the damage they cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why enter the thread then

I entered the thread to state that it was not an up to date story and that there might be aprevious thread on it if people wanted to look for it.

I thought that was self evident from my first post - obviously not ...,............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It's worth highlighting this every month until something is done about it. These people should be in prison for the damage they cause.

Well first you would have to make what they do illegal wouldn't you

(btw I am not defending GS just a bit surprised that people are so keen to condemn them without a fair trial. Oh well just hope there is someone oujt there to defend you when they come for you ..............................)
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(btw I am not defending GS just a bit surprised that people are so keen to condemn them without a fair trial. Oh well just hope there is someone oujt there to defend you when they come for you ..............................)

Goldman Sachs can defend their policies any time they like. They can be interviewed, by Paxman for example, they can hold a press conferance and so on. Fact is bankers rarely speak publicly, they talk behind closed doors to politicians, HMRC, regulators etc to get what they want.
    I'd love to give bankers a fair hearing, but they don't want to speak to us. Just pocket our cash.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Sorry, what's the outrage here?

'Bankers invest in food production'

This is good, isn't it? Good news for squeezed farmers, who I'm sure appreciate the extra business and the rising price of what they produce. Supply will naturally expand in response to that rising price, so more food will be produced - just what you want if we have a food shortage, isn't it?

Regards,

Cypher
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldman Sachs profits from food crisis

Hope Goldman Sachs are making lots of profits as I have just invested with them..:eek:
  • caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's exactly what needs to be done. What's happening is beyond criminal. It's just not that easy.
    I don't understand economics well enough, but it's to do with this bit in the article.

"Since deregulation allowed the creation of the commodity funds that allowed many speculators to invest in agriculture for the first time, institutions such as Goldman have channelled more than $200bn of cash into the area. This investment has coincided with a significant and sustained rise in global food prices."

Watched a documentary about it on Russia Today.
    Cap and trade on carbon is something similar.
    There are people trying to do this with water as well, which might as well be a declaration of war on humanity.
    Now droughts, floods, freezing weather, forest fires are all profitable. Looks like "mother nature" invests with Goldman Sachs.
    Then again, apparently they are doing "God's work" so maybe he's pulling some strings for them.

Something not being illegal isn't an excuse anymore, because it clearly should be, but some of the people profiting have influence over people making the laws. A lot of influence. This is very wrong.
    And if saying that gets you in trouble, (which it can) well that just proves the point really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »

Surely you are taking the piss here :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL despite your best efforts to stoke up the outrage you have only managed 13 posts in 3 days - and this on a second outting.

Face facts what they did is not illegal - by all means start a campaign to make it so if you wish but don't be surprised when you get nowhere
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is your answer really 'it's not illegal' - I suppose in that case you will no longer comment about anything that is not illegal, like immigration from Europe for example.

I love the right - total apologists for corporate ghouls and tax avoiders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is your answer really 'it's not illegal' - I suppose in that case you will no longer comment about anything that is not illegal, like immigration from Europe for example.

I love the right - total apologists for corporate ghouls and tax avoiders.

I have never said you could not comment on things that were not illegal. I did offer it as an explanation as why they was not the outrage you are seeking to provoke.

You are free to love who you like but please do not incorrectly assume you know my views on anything I have not said. Like most people on here who guess at people's allegiances you are wrong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have no explanation beyond 'it's not illegal' - well there's been a whole host of things that people in the political and business world have got up that weren't strictly illegal and look where we are today.

Your thinking is blinkered to the extreme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have no explanation beyond 'it's not illegal' - well there's been a whole host of things that people in the political and business world have got up that weren't strictly illegal and look where we are today.

Your thinking is blinkered to the extreme.

If its not illeghal its not illegal full stop.

If you think it should be illegal then do as i suggested above and start a campaign.

What is blinkered thinking is thinking you can expect everyone to agree with you that a legal activity is an outrage which is what you are saying
    Forum Member

Heh, it's a bit devil's advocate, I'll admit, but did you want to pick up the points I raised?

Regards,

Cypher
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

You mean those human rights people that some on here condemn all the time? I think they just want justice for rich people who can afford it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    You mean those human rights people that some on here condemn all the time? I think they just want justice for rich people who can afford it.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately i do not understand it or see how its a reply to my post that you quote :confused:
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Bankers invest in food production'

This is good, isn't it? Good news for squeezed farmers, who I'm sure appreciate the extra business and the rising price of what they produce. Supply will naturally expand in response to that rising price, so more food will be produced - just what you want if we have a food shortage, isn't it?

Regards,

Cypher

More like " bankers gamble with the investment in food production"
    Forum Member
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    More like " bankers gamble with the investment in food production"

Investment's always a gamble, isn't it?

Regards,

Cypher
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Investment's always a gamble, isn't it?

Regards,

Cypher

Only for the small investor;)
    Forum Member
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Only for the small investor;)

You mean the sort the government doesn't bail out? ;)

Regards,

Cypher
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean the sort the government doesn't bail out? ;)

Regards,

Cypher

Yep, the kind that get shafted by everybody;)