Every problem we face today is linked to Thatcher...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Meanwhile, Baroness Thatcher's policies were called "fundamentally wrong" by former London mayor Ken Livingstone.

He told Sky News the former Conservative prime minister was responsible for "every real problem" faced in the UK today, as he claimed she had led millions of people out of work.

Mr Livingstone said: "Of course she was popular, she was offering people their homes at a cut price. But she didn't build any houses.

"She created today's housing crisis, she produced the banking crisis, she created the benefits crisis. It was her government that started putting people on incapacity benefits rather than register them as unemployed because the Britain she inherited was broadly at full employment.

"She decided when she wrote off our manufacturing industry that she could live with two or three million unemployed and the legacy of that, the benefits bill that we are still struggling with today.

"In actual fact, every real problem we face today is the legacy of the fact she was fundamentally wrong."

Comments

• PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As per usual, it's all thatchers fault but never anyone who came after her.

Thatcher was very popular at the time, until the PollTax came about. She turned around a country that was on its knees to the Unions and gave us prosperity again.

It's a shame those on the left can't really give solid reasons behind hating her so much other than some rhetoric.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Baroness Thatcher's policies were called "fundamentally wrong" by former London mayor Ken Livingstone.

yet not a single one of those core policies was reversed in the last 23 years by any Party.........................................................
  • geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

Thatcher was very popular at the time, until the PollTax came about. She turned around a country that was on its knees to the Unions and gave us prosperity again.

It's a shame those on the left can't really give solid reasons behind hating her so much other than some rhetoric.

Come to any working mans club up here in the northeast and you will get all the answers you need :rolleyes:

jack
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Livingstone is basically a moron if that is what he really thinks.

Those of us that lived though those dark days before thatcher know what really happened.

The unions bought this country to its knees.

Biggest smile I ever had on my face was when I saw Scargill and his murdering henchmen on TV defeated by Thatcher.
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Why would Red Tories, otherwise known as New Labour, reverse what Blue Tories did?

I very much doubt if Red Ed will if he gets into power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come to any working mans club up here in the northeast and you will get all the answers you need :rolleyes:

jack

Care to say some, or is it again all smoke and mirrors?
  • timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find in Labour caused most of the problems like benefits, social housing, unemployment and falling standards of living because of the silent invasion of immigrants that have brought us to our knees, this only happened on a big scale after 1997
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    yet not a single one of those core policies was reversed in the last 23 years by any Party.........................................................

And look what a state we're in....................................
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually old egg she was universally despised by the public and feared by her own party. However the opposition were an absolute shower at the time so presented very little threat to her. I was there I remember. Praise be to the Labour party for not doing the right thing and dealing with the problems caused by her premiership.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thatcher's message was simple:

Get government out of the way and take responsibility for your own life. Create your own future and live it.

Unfortunately many people still can't accept that.
  • Mr JonMr Jon Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Actually old egg she was universally despised by the public and feared by her own party. However the opposition were an absolute shower at the time so presented very little threat to her. I was there I remember. Praise be to the Labour party for not doing the right thing and dealing with the problems caused by her premiership.

How can someone "universally despised" by the public win 3 general elections, or are you saying she only won because the opposition were so bad each time that people had no option but to vote for someone they "despised"...?
  • Mr JonMr Jon Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thatcher's message was simple:

Get government out of the way and take responsibility for your own life. Create your own future and live it.

Unfortunately many people still can't accept that.

Hey, careful, someone's bound to misquote her "there's no such thing as society" speech now...
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was there too, and I remember no such thing. Universally despised by the public? Utter rubbish.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If she was so despised why everyone how did she win three elections? And how come polls, even recently, show her as being popular?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually old egg she was universally despised by the public

Her 3 election victories would suggest otherwise...
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every problem we face today is linked to Thatcher...

My ingrown toenail is back again - how is THAT to do with Thatcher???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps you can back up that.

I'll back my assertion up that she was popular, you can back up that she was despised. We'll see who seems more right.

Almost every poll there, has her in the top 5
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom

Comres poll
    http://www.thecommentator.com/article/2735/thatcher_s_the_best_new_poll_names_ex_tory_leader_as_greatest_prime_minister

In fact, all of the pollsters regularly have her in the top 5 at the least. Along with the 3 election victories.

So, over to you...
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Not enough bandwidth to list them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We had growth for a few years sandwiched by two big recessions.

Growth was higher under MacMillan and Wilson in the sixties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not enough bandwidth to list them all.

go on, give us a small list and tell us how those policies got reversed under later governments...
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which planet does this refer to?

I recall at the time being in despair at how popular she was.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go on, give us a small list and tell us how those policies got reversed under later governments...

Somethings are irreversible.

You moan about how much money new Labour spent now, to reverse some of Thatcher's changes would have involved spending huge amounts more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Somethings are irreversible.

You moan about how much money new Labour spent now, to reverse some of Thatcher's changes would have involved spending huge amounts more.

The Ed Balls magic money tree could surely have afforded it? - what about using the Bankers Bonus tax yet again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you can back up that.

I'll back my assertion up that she was popular, you can back up that she was despised. We'll see who seems more right.
    [/url]

In fact, all of the pollsters regularly have her in the top 5 at the least. Along with the 3 election victories.

So, over to you...

Are you seriously going to try and suggest that she isn't deeply unpopular with huge swathes of people. :D

I'd say start by counting the knives stuck in her back by her very own party and supporters.