Weight Loss Thread - 2014 Edition

lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
Forum Member
Even though personally, I am not planning on losing any weight in 2014, I thought I would be the one to start a 2014 edition of the popular weight loss thread. :)

I know there are still a few days to go until 2014, but I'd love to see some of your weight loss goals or diet tips you have for 2014 and see how they compare with the goals and tips which were posted in the 2013 edition of the weight loss thread. :)

I wish everyone here who aims to lose some weight in 2014 the very best of luck! ;)

Comments

• BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to lose weight this year, but I do want to get more toned and eat a bit healthier than last year :)
  • BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay! It's here! I have participated in the threads over the last few years. I reached my slimming world target yesterdY of 9stone 9 pounds. I am not going to worry too much about what I eat over Christmas and then see what damage I have done at my weigh in on 31st.

Plan for 2014 is to stay at target (maybe lose another 2ibs) and get a bit more toned. Probably going to rejoin the gym if I can afford it!
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I want to lose between half and one stone in the coming year, although not sure how that's easy/hard that's going to be as will be starting chemotherapy and hormone therapy for cancer in the new year.

Maybe the weight gain side effect of the hormones and the possible weight loss effect of the chemo will cancel each other out!! :D
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to lose a couple of stone, currently just under 14st and want to be just under 12. 5'10" 34 year old male.

Strategy - stop boozing through the week and start exercising again.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I will be carrying on with my no sugar/low carb approach again. Lost 5 stones this year and am at the moment just having a bit of a treat but come January 1st I will be back in the swing of things again.

So good luck to everyone who joins in lets hope we have a lighter brighter new year !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I've had an awful year, but managed to stay a stable weight, so next year going to do a low carb blast to get me set off then follow a healthy, balance diet to keep me at a decent weight.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be taking part this year.

A few years ago I was 10 stone. I don't even know what I am now- over 13 stone for sure!

Strategy- no boozing every day. No bags of crisp chocs etc, eat healthily. And walk- aim for 5 miles a day. need to get myself a pedometer.

That's how I did it last time.
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I want to lose between half and one stone in the coming year, although not sure how that's easy/hard that's going to be as will be starting chemotherapy and hormone therapy for cancer in the new year.

Maybe the weight gain side effect of the hormones and the possible weight loss effect of the chemo will cancel each other out!! :D
    :cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I joined the 2013 thread, and reached my target some months ago. I still pop into the thread occasionally because losing weight is one part of the battle. Keeping it off requires less effort, but indefinitely, not over a limited period of time.

There was a mention above of 'advice'. What worked for me was a daily calorie limit, and more exercise. No particular major change in actual food eaten, just less of it. Apart from artificially sweetened drinks instead of full sugar, a change that I've made permanent. I also think in hindsight that my choice to aim at losing a small amount of weight per week was the right one. It takes longer, but fewer changes need to be made, which makes the change from dieting to maintenance smaller, and easier to manage.

However, I believe that an important part of losing weight is to work out what does, and doesn't, work for you as an individual. And the answer is not going to be the same for everyone.

I hate to think how many calories I've eaten today, and the gym won't open until Friday! But, it's only one day that I eat like this, and being as I was right on target before Christmas, I don't think I'm going to do myself too much damage.

Good luck to everyone setting out on the journey, and good luck to those who have other issues to overcome as well. Together we're stronger!
  • marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm losing weight so quick. I was eating lots of junk but decided to get in proper shape now. I've lost 6lbs in a week.

My secret - intermittent fasting. Honestly guys, try it! Once yiu get used to it, it's easy to follow. You're basically going without food for 16 (or more, depending on how you feel) hours, then in the 8 hour window you eat. The less you eat, the more you'll lose. Just make sure you consume clean foods, NO JUNK! Add to this an exercise regime and you'll start seeing great results fast.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 5 ft 4 and a podgy 10 stone. I would like to lose a stone, once all the Christmas food is out of the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I'm 5 ft 4 and a podgy 10 stone. I would like to lose a stone, once all the Christmas food is out of the way.

Try intermittent fasting then. Go on google and youtube, type it in and hear what others have to say. So many people, myself included, are and/or getting great results from it. Combine it with an exercise regime and the weight will fall off. You have to stay dedicated though. But that is what weight loss is about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    Try intermittent fasting then. Go on google and youtube, type it in and hear what others have to say. So many people, myself included, are and/or getting great results from it. Combine it with an exercise regime and the weight will fall off. You have to stay dedicated though. But that is what weight loss is about.

Before Christmas, I managed to lose half a stone through eating less and exercising every day. I don't like the idea of fasting, I have to say.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Before Christmas, I managed to lose half a stone through eating less and exercising every day. I don't like the idea of fasting, I have to say.

I don't like the idea either, but I've seen it work very well for other people. It depends on how intermittent fasters eat on the non-limited days. Some people eat reasonably on those days, meaning that over the whole week, they're running a reasonable calorie deficit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I don't like the idea either, but I've seen it work very well for other people. It depends on how intermittent fasters eat on the non-limited days. Some people eat reasonably on those days, meaning that over the whole week, they're running a reasonable calorie deficit.

Is it sustainable long-term, though, or just something to do on a short-term basis?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't have to do it everyday. Here, read this article.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/06/28/intermittent-fasting-health-benefits.aspx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »

Me personally, I fast every day. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but I personally feel better when I fast this way. Other people could benefit from fasting 2-3 times a week, maybe non-training days?

I even fast before I go gym and I have enough energy to complete a 2 hour workout, whether it be weight training or a cardio day. Maybe for a woman, it would make more sense to limit fasting to a couple days a week, then see how they feel. Obviously, guys bodies function totally different to guys, so you just need to monitor your energy levels and general health when following a fasting diet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I intend to lose at least a couple of stone this year, I have lost a stone and a half since September and intend to see it through. I will be going to the gym come January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It recommends going without breakfast, for one thing, which is contrary to the usual dietary advice, and then just eating things like butter, eggs, oils and nuts on certain days. I can't help thinking that this regime will be discredited soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me personally, I fast every day. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but I personally feel better when I fast this way. Other people could benefit from fasting 2-3 times a week, maybe non-training days?

I even fast before I go gym and I have enough energy to complete a 2 hour workout, whether it be weight training or a cardio day. Maybe for a woman, it would make more sense to limit fasting to a couple days a week, then see how they feel. Obviously, guys bodies function totally different to guys, so you just need to monitor your energy levels and general health when following a fasting diet.

Are you constantly losing weight, since you fast every day? Have you got any weight to lose?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you constantly losing weight, since you fast every day? Have you got any weight to lose?

Well, I've only got back into training, but I am definitely losing it fast. I still want to lose another stone. But because I'm at the gym training constantly, that helps as well because I'm losing calories from restricted intake of calories and also burning them off in training.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yay...a new thread..I hope to come off my diet soon..still going at it :D
  • Ramit BaudeepRamit Baudeep Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    A little bit of what you fancy does you good each day

If you like drinking sugary juice then limit it to one can per day. Or even better switch to diluting juice.

Avoid too many carbs after main meal each night.

Drink water in between main meals. Most of the time people mistake thirst for hunger.

Try and eat fresh food and avoid processed foods as much as possible.

Everything in moderation is the key
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little bit of what you fancy does you good each day
    If you like drinking sugary juice then limit it to one can per day. Or even better switch to diluting juice.
    Avoid too many carbs after main meal each night.
    Drink water in between main meals. Most of the time people mistake thirst for hunger.
    Try and eat fresh food and avoid processed foods as much as possible.
    Everything in moderation is the key

I totally agree with all this.

I can lose weight as easily as I can put it one if I set my mind to it :)
    In late spring of this year I lost a stone in 6 weeks and got to 10 stone, I am 5 foot 5 and a half, the half matters!
    I can go between 10 stone and 11 stone a couple of times a year.
    I just cut back on the alcohol and ate less and walked more.
    I have gradually put 10 pounds back on over the last few months by eating more, drinking more and not walking enough :)

I have just gone down and weighed myself, I am 10 stone 10 pounds.
    I am aiming to get to 10 atone again and get toned up more.
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lost between 7.5 and 8 stone on an Atkins type diet. I would like to lose another 6-7lbs, and then the hard work of maintaining begins. So a new thread will help me keep on track. :)