Options

Is it possible to decolourise modern TV's?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,455
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After another thread highlighted the fact that black and white televisions have not been manufactured since shortly after the millenium, I began to wonder if the colour could be disabled in modern televisions for those who wish to continue to view in monochrome and pay the reduced licence fee.

I have previously heard of this procedure by television rental shops in the 60's and 70's.

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very unlikely it could be done cheaply.

Even an older TV would be expensive to do it properly, although I imagine you could.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just reduced the colour setting on my telly to zero, which would achieve the same thing. Whether it would be within the rules, I don't know.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    I've just reduced the colour setting on my telly to zero, which would achieve the same thing. Whether it would be within the rules, I don't know.

It wouldn't be, as the receiver would still be capable of receiving and displaying colour signals.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,547
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be, as the receiver would still be capable of receiving and displaying colour signals.

As would arguably a colour receiver with the colour disabled by whatever means. What was disabled could presumably be re-enabled by whoever disabled it, at any time. There's very little chance that the TVL agents would let O/P get away with that argument as it would be too open to abuse.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As no more TVs are made that are monochrome, I wonder if its best that TVL stop selling the B and W licence to new customers, the ones who currently have a B and W licence shouldn't be denied one, but if they ever gave it up then they would loose the right to one and would have to buy a new colour one.

Besides the people who have B and W licences are surely older people who are close to getting the free licence?
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I began to wonder if the colour could be disabled in modern televisions for those who wish to continue to view in monochrome and pay the reduced licence fee.

It's insane that black and white TV licences still exist.

Nobody should have to ask this question in 2014.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe this thread? Somebody has asked about how to turn off the colour on a modern display, to save a few quid on the LF??

I only pop in here now and again. This is why.

And btw, 'colourise' is the wrong term. You mean 'de-saturate' for a monitor picture?

Ta Ta
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The B&W licence should be done away with, there is no need for it these days, especially if it used as a means of getting out of paying full price.

Some like to say the TVL is outdated, but the B&W one most certainly is.

Don't those who are registered blind even if they still have partial sight get a reduction in the cost anyway? Sure this is what has happened to my neighbour when he started to lose his sight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I go into my local Costco. The latest 60" Samsungs look very tempting.

I say to the 20 something sales assistant: 'yes I'd be very interested, but could I make it mono?'

He looks blank. I explain "well, black and white?"

He asks why. I explain it's to save a few quid on my licence fee.

HAHA........
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OB racks wrote: »
    So I go into my local Costco. The latest 60" Samsungs look very tempting.

I say to the 20 something sales assistant: 'yes I'd be very interested, but could I make it mono?'

He looks blank. I explain "well, black and white?"

He asks why. I explain it's to save a few quid on my licence fee.

HAHA........

Love it. Some people really will do anything to save a few quid. It'd be like buying a 5 seat car and taking out 3 seats because it's cheaper to run that way.

Such a pointless thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe this thread? Somebody has asked about how to turn off the colour on a modern display, to save a few quid on the LF??

And btw, 'colourise' is the wrong term. You mean 'de-saturate' for a monitor picture?

Ta Ta

I think they should have posted this on Money Saving Expert forum! What a scrooge!
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The B&W licence should be done away with, there is no need for it these days, especially if it used as a means of getting out of paying full price.

Don't those who are registered blind even if they still have partial sight get a reduction in the cost anyway? Sure this is what has happened to my neighbour when he started to lose his sight.

Yes, they pay for a B&W licence!
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, they pay for a B&W licence!

Blind and partially sighted do not pay for a B&W licence. They get 50% discount on a full colour licence. I know this as my wife is registered blind.

How can a B&W licence be possible these days anyway? Since digital took over old B&W sets are incapable of receiving broadcast TV without using a set-top box and all set-top boxes are colour receivers. Hence they need a colour TV licence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dachse wrote: »
    Blind and partially sighted do not pay for a B&W licence. They get 50% discount on a full colour licence. I know this as my wife is registered blind.

How can a B&W licence be possible these days anyway? Since digital took over old B&W sets are incapable of receiving broadcast TV without using a set-top box and all set-top boxes are colour receivers. Hence they need a colour TV licence.

Thats a good point and if you have internet you can get live TV that way too technically too!

Not that I would want to see the TV Licence to be connected to having internet, as that would be a right pain!
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Thats a good point and if you have internet you can get live TV that way too technically too!

Not that I would want to see the TV Licence to be connected to having internet, as that would be a right pain!

If you watch live TV (i.e as broadcast) it doesn't matter what you use to watch it you still need a licence. Even through a laptop/tablet/phone.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    It's insane that black and white TV licences still exist.

Nobody should have to ask this question in 2014.

Ta Ta

Love it. Some people really will do anything to save a few quid. It'd be like buying a 5 seat car and taking out 3 seats because it's cheaper to run that way.

Such a pointless thread.

To clarify again, this question is borne from interest generated from another thread and is purely hypothetical.
    mossy2103 wrote: »

I would have tended to agree with you, but TVL were happy for the TV rental shops to do this in the 60's and 70's. I'm curious as to whether this would be possible with modern day sets, now that monochrome televisions are no longer manufactured.

Some people prefer a black and white picture as they feel it to be "more homely", find it "easier on their eyes" or are visually impaired and would not benefit from a colour picture.
    dachse wrote: »

The partially sighted don't get any concession on the TVL, only the 'severely sight impaired'. The term sight impaired has superceded the term 'blind' as most people have some sort of vision.

The severely sight impaired can claim 50% off the cost of a colour or monochrome licence. If they live alone or with other sight impaired people who would not benefit from colour pictures, they might as well pay 50% of a black and white licence than 50% of a colour licence!

Those who cannot see a picture at all can avoid paying for a licence by taking the sound only from a STB.

There is special provision in the rules that say that a STB capable of receiving colour pictures shall not be treated as a colour receiver if connected to a black and white television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To clarify again, this question is borne from interest generated from another thread and is purely hypothetical.

I would have tended to agree with you, but TVL were happy for the TV rental shops to do this in the 60's and 70's. I'm curious as to whether this would be possible with modern day sets, now that monochrome televisions are no longer manufactured.

Some people prefer a black and white picture as they feel it to be "more homely", find it "easier on their eyes" or are visually impaired and would not benefit from a colour picture.

The partially sighted don't get any concession on the TVL, only the 'severely sight impaired'. The term sight impaired has superceded the term 'blind' as most people have some sort of vision.

The severely sight impaired can claim 50% off the cost of a colour or monochrome licence. If they live alone or with other sight impaired people who would not benefit from colour pictures, they might as well pay 50% of a black and white licence than 50% of a colour licence!

Those who cannot see a picture at all can avoid paying for a licence by taking the sound only from a STB.

There is special provision in the rules that say that a STB capable of receiving colour pictures shall not be treated as a colour receiver if connected to a black and white television.

Thats as long as it doesnt record live TV I presume! as VCRs were always said to be classed as a colour receiver even if connected to a monochrome TV!
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know of anyone who 'prefers' black and white because it's 'more homely', and this includes my 98 year-old Aunt.

Or is it another bulls**t statistic you've made up?
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVL would probably call it a day on B&W licences, but they know that the Daily Mail has no doubt already prepared the campaign against it. Plenty of photos of old war heroes with captions saying how they'll no longer be able to watch Gone with the Wind or repeats of Dad's Army.

If I was them I wouldn't want to give the Mail the satisfaction.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheap freeview box scart ony no hdmi

disconnect from mains power (obviously)

open up

solder together rgb and ybr out pins

disable cvbs pin

if svhs then disable chroma pin

tv "screen" probably has freeview tuner. if so disable aerial socket.

any receiver that records is "colour reception" even if only monochrome output.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on an older crt tube colour receiver you can also wire the grids together (assuming cathode drive). this can be dangeous so only if you know exactly what youre doing.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get where the OP is coming from, yes it can be done and would be great fun introducing the TV licence inspector to your 60" Black and White plasma.

However for the small saving and the fact that you couldn't record programs (as they would be recorded in colour) it does seem somewhat pointless.

If the idea did take off, and applications for the B&W licence suddenly increased, such an option would be quickly removed.

The B&W option does seem archaic, why were there no reductions/increases in licence fee for stereo sound, teletext, widescreen, HD or even for VHS ownership?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    I get where the OP is coming from, yes it can be done and would be great fun introducing the TV licence inspector to your 60" Black and White plasma.

However for the small saving and the fact that you couldn't record programs (as they would be recorded in colour) it does seem somewhat pointless.

If the idea did take off, and applications for the B&W licence suddenly increased, such an option would be quickly removed.

The B&W option does seem archaic, why were there no reductions/increases in licence fee for stereo sound, teletext, widescreen, HD or even for VHS ownership?

I guess back in the late 60s as TV was still taking off they thought it a good idea to help fund the 625 colour set-up with all the transmitter changes and opening of new transmitters, relays ect.

When stereo sound, teletext and VCRs came along the infrastructure was exactly the same they just bolted teletext and stereo sound on top and the VCR was an in the home issue only.
    I wonder if the BBC got any money from set manufactures for teletext in the early days, as the BBC invented it?

When digital/widescreen came along the BBC funded that by selling off the transmitter network and with widescreen the only big differences are in the camera and setting electronic flags for the receiver to recognise, yes they probably used new playout equipment, but they most likely put that down to going digital costs.

With HD thats a different one, I think the BBC want people to go HD so having an extra charge for HD viewing would be counter productive to that idea.

Ether way as TV has obviously been very popular for the last 20+ years, they felt that people wouldn't appreciate an extra TV licence charge for digital, widescreen and HD!
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,100
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    on an older crt tube colour receiver you can also wire the grids together (assuming cathode drive). this can be dangeous so only if you know exactly what youre doing.

And the money saved on the TV Licence could go towards the cost of the funeral?
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member

Ta Ta

Not everyone in life has done as well as you.

You know where the door is.