Options

Help needed with VCR set-up!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi!
I had Telewest TV installed on Sep 1st, with all channels on channel 1 on the TV, but now I can't seem to record anything on my VCR! I can watch video tapes ok. I'm not sure if the video needs retuning, or maybe I have a wrong connection somewhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which channels can't you record? The five main analogue terrestrial ones, or the Telewest ones?

If the Telewest ones, you do have the scart lead from the VCR connected to the Telewest box vcr socket and then the Telewest TV socket scart connected to the TV?

If you do, then when you want to record from Telewest you need to set your VCR to the AV channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    if you want to be able to watch cable and record terrestrial,or vice versa,and if you use scart leads you need to connect them like this,rooftop ariel into cable box,scart lead from cable box vcr socket to,video,scart lead from cable tv socket to televisionand as previous poster says,set video to av channel to record.if your using the ordinary leads,then connect rooftop ariel to cable box,then cable box to video,then video to tv.you will also need to tune a channel on your video to recieve the cable box signal,this is why you probably cant record anything.
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be noted recording Telewest via the RF will result in mono sound only being recorded.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had trouble connecting my video - mainly because I have 2 scart sockets on my video and it took a while to work out which one to use.

I've managed to get it working to record off of AV, however I have to switch the box on to stand-by in order to see a the video picture during playback.

Anyone know why this could be?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    well think about it, the box is acting as a middle man, ie, vcr-box-tv

the box signal is gonig to ways, one to the vcr for recording and one to the tv to watch. If you turn on the vcr, what would happen? 2 items sending a signal to the tv, so your will get ghosting or at worse blarring.

Make sure on a vcr, its not in the decoder, do a trial and error on av1 or 2.