Options

New Phone Releases

Comments

• Options
    ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zebb wrote: »

It now appears the phone will be sold in the UK but Sony can't say when.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Sorry, but perhaps we have different perceptions of what was said by the reviewer, it seems like quite a balanced review and has a reasonable conclusion, the reviewer liked the phone, inspire of what is available for not much more money just above its rrp.

Perhaps you should go and reread the review (a little slower) to try and gain a little more of what is being said.
    First off he goes on about price whilst we already know the street price is far less. Then there is the ususual line about 64Gb+ SD cards not been supported, yet we all know 'not supported' does not mean they do not work fine.

And yes, I preferred that G pic. You could actually make out stuff unseen in the supposed superior smartphone. I really imagine he is trying to continue the 'crap camera' mantra rather than being objective.
    Yes, some stuff like benchmarks are objective but 'crap but like it' is hard to ring true. And the 32GB thing is near unbelievable.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 128GB card in my Moto G. If a 64GB card worked, so would a 128 or 200GB. They're all the same format (SDXC). A reviewer shouldn't be making such an error, especially that author who usually knows his stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posts on another forum keep saying that the Moto 3rd Gen has no gyroscope or notification LED, true or false? The 2GB one is cheaper from Amazon France than the 1GB one is here.

Choosing a new phone is tricky, dual band wi-fi, 720/1080 on a 5" screen, single SIM/Dual SIM, 1 or 2 or 3GB RAM, all too much to think about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No notification LED, but it does have a 'Screen notifications' menu, with

- Moto Display (show important notifications as interactive icons)
    - Ambient Display (wake display for list of current notifications)
    - None

So arguably it has an alternative (and a superior one if anyone has used the feature on another Motorola device).

720p on 5-inch is okay. Full HD would be nice, but it's not blocky and photos/video still look fine.

Wi-Fi lacking 5GHz (and 802.11ac) is disappointing, but my home router is dual band so I can connect just fine to it, and it's not noticeably slower (but my home broadband IS only 6-7Mbps).

Out and about, 5GHz has less congestion issues, so maybe it might be more of a problem but I'd sooner use mobile data when out and about as public Wi-Fi hotspots are usually pretty terrible at ANY frequency.

Single/dual-SIM - well that's obviously down to personal needs.

2GB of RAM is fine. Heck, 1GB should be fine. 3GB probably better on a more powerful device with a higher resolution display, and 4GB maybe just because people think a higher number is better. How long until we're up to 8GB of RAM on a phone?? Probably sooner than we might think.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LG android flip phone coming to UK

"Flip phones were all the rage in the 1990s - they were the ultimate fashion accessory, with the likes of Alicia Silverstone sporting one in Clueless.

But you could soon be answering a call with the flick of your wrist again, because LG has launched a new model with a handful of modern feature - and says it will launch in the US and UK soon.

Called the LG Wine Smart, the handset has a 3.2-inch colour touch screen and runs Android Lollipop 5.1, as well as enabling 4G calls...but it does have a more old fashioned camera.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3187136/The-Flip-phone-coming-LG-reveals-sell-budget-90s-style-mobile-small-screen-3MP-camera-UK.html#ixzz3i5BviDUw
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The Z3+ has basically the same specs as the Z3 except for a newer SoC, the Snapdragon 810. This runs very hot in most phones and seems to be regarded as a dog. The Z3 is cheaper, is fast and has better battery life. Sony are good with updates as well and the Z3 will be supported for quite a bit.
    Thanks. For me the main advantage of the newer phone is that the charging port doesn't need a cover.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me what size phone constitutes a phablet?

The forthcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 5 will have a 5'7inch screen. That's a phablet.

However it's rumoured the Sony Xperia Z5 will have a 5'5inch screen. Would that be considered a phablet too?

5'2 i think is the max size i'd be willing to go to. I don't think i can go any bigger. It would just be too big in the hands.

jonmorris wrote: »
    I have a 128GB card in my Moto G. If a 64GB card worked, so would a 128 or 200GB. They're all the same format (SDXC). A reviewer shouldn't be making such an error, especially that author who usually knows his stuff.

Jon, do you know what is the cheapest price i can buy a Sandisk 128GB card for? I know they've been out for a while so i think there should have been a considerable price drop by now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon prices fluctuate a bit, but the lowest (using some tracker website that I've since lost the link to) I believe has been £52. I got one for £55, and they seem to hover around the £60 mark.

The 200GB cards are now down to around £150-160, which is still a bit too much for me (once they drop below £100 then I might bite). 64GB cards are stupidly cheap though, and probably sufficient as, to be honest, one of the 128GB cards I have is not even half full.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »

The forthcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 5 will have a 5'7inch screen. That's a phablet.

However it's rumoured the Sony Xperia Z5 will have a 5'5inch screen. Would that be considered a phablet too?

5'2 i think is the max size i'd be willing to go to. I don't think i can go any bigger. It would just be too big in the hands.

All the Notes were considered phablets, so 5.5" would be a phablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2419783/moto-g-2015-review

A more rounded review. I guess that 'betters the 6' argument for the camera is case based. That been, like everything, it is better in some ways.
    Not been pocket unfriendly junk has to be of near equal importance surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange how Motorola were saying how they were saving the earth by not providing a wall charger now do so in certain territories but not the UK. Another reviewer not understanding the difference between 1080p (video) and 1080 pixels display. The 3rd gen Moto G, ditches the gyroscope but now has two accelerometers, limiting VR and photospheres. It has Android 5.1.1 not 5.1. Somebody mentioned elsewhere, why Motorola say only up to 32GB card is after that, they have to pay more for the rights to use it. Hope they get the 2GB one more available, see what Sony brings on September 2nd.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

Phones come in different sizes. Thats it. The P word is just bullshite. The size of the screen is not really the thing - it is the size of the phone. Some phones have massive bezels (Sony Z1 and iP6+ for instance) others have trimmed bezels right down (Moto X style, Lg G2).
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung s5 Neo coming.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moto x play now up on Amazon to pre order with availability on September 4th priced at £349.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Moto x play now up on Amazon to pre order with availability on September 4th priced at £349.

TBH it looks a good phone, just a tad expensive for what it is. I think nearer £300 and it would be a cracking buy.

I can see the OnePlus2 struggling if they don't get their orders out quickly as so many options on the market.
  • Options
    Jon_111Jon_111 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »

For pre order at Clove for £270 inc vat. Don't know what to think about this phone really. I have a 2014 Moto X and bigger battery would have been nice, as would brighter screen when using outside on really bright days and yet the X Play feels a step back possibly? I'll wait for reviews with interest. Moto X Style should be the replacement for my 2014 Moto X but will battery life be any better with that big QHD display? Not to mention the size of the thing :o
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Reported to not being released in Europe!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did say some weeks ago that the Note 5 wasn't coming here.

Meanwhile, I saw the S6 edge plus today and, well, it's hardly that much different (but of course it was so widely leaked, nobody could have ever thought otherwise).

I guess the new watch will follow later in the year. That was a surprise, as I expected it that to be announced.

http://jmcomms.com/2015/08/13/samsung-unveils-galaxy-s6-edge-plus-same-phone-bigger-screen-and-thats-just-fine/
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit strange not to launch the Note here isn't it? I got the idea that it was a fairly strong brand among enthusiasts who would be more likely to buy it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Edge Plus will be a good success in that I imagine its proportions will be smaller than my large bezel 5" phone.

With smartphones now said to be the main internet conduit I guess 5.7" to 6" size is what a majority will gravitate to using. Eventually!
    In a way it is good that slow Samsung sales means they have to be faster in giving the consumer what they want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit strange not to launch the Note here isn't it? I got the idea that it was a fairly strong brand among enthusiasts who would be more likely to buy it?

I'm told sales haven't been that great since other phones got bigger. What's more, Samsung's own research showed people here didn't use the S Pen. Throw in a need to cut marketing budgets and there seems like no point releasing it here, when you could (according to Samsung) buy the edge plus.

Seems a fair logic to be honest.
  • Options
    MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's true I don't use the stylus on my note 3 very often, but am still surprised the note 5 isn't coming here. I thought it was a popular phone, I know many people with a note. Saying that, I'm not interested in a phone with a glass back so would have been unlikely to go for it anyway (especially while my note 3 is still going strong).
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung launches their flagship Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and then decides not to release it this year in Europe apart from Asia and USA. WTF?! Lol.

So anyone who wants an upgrade or brand new Samsung will have to get Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ instead.