Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    One of the most frustrating performances I've ever been to see.

I've not felt an atomsphere of frustration like that since the late Moyes days.

Rooney just seems to be a passenger. As he gets frustrated and we have absolutely no one in the box as he's inevitably dropped too deep. He needs a partner.

I thought we'd kick on when Hernandez came on - but at one point he was dropping deep too. Unbelievable.

Valencia comes on - expect to nip down the wing. No. He also pedestrianises it and cuts back in slowly

It's almost as if we're being told to constantly pass inward, short, slow and backward. Not to commit any men or take anyone on.

Even Depay seems to be stuck rigidly wide.

Scheiderlin's (sp) passing is awfully sloppy. Mata is slow. My morning piss is stronger on the ball than Januzaj.

Incredibly frustrating. Another striker isn't going to solve anything.

I'm resigned to the fact that LVG has got us playing sleep inducing, numbers, clinical football. I hate this style of football. If this is the new basis for success, I'm not sold.

I'd rather go back to swashbuckling attacking and lose 3-2 than sit through another game of that.

A moan post I know, but christ I can't contain my frustration.

I kind of agree with the sentiment and it why I said I don't think buying a striker is going to be some sort of magic wand.

I think the quality of player is there and there is no reason this squad can't be up at the top but it's like they are being kept on a leash.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    Could Charlie Austin be worth a punt?

Not if you listen to the West Ham chairman! 😀
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of agree with the sentiment and it why I said I don't think buying a striker is going to be some sort of magic wand.

I think the quality of player is there and there is no reason this squad can't be up at the top but it's like they are being kept on a leash.

Buying the correct sort of striker would help us out, especially if it keeps Rooney on his toes, and means that he actually has to keep his game at a high level, (or even get there to begin with).
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buying the correct sort of striker would help us out, especially if it keeps Rooney on his toes, and means that he actually has to keep his game at a high level, (or even get there to begin with).

It really won't. We will play exactly the way we've been told to play.

Case in point - last minute of the game - we should be going hell for leather to smash it into the box. What did we do?

Smalling and Schneiderlin were pissing around with it on the half way line.

There's signs of the same in the game too. Far too many times we keep passing it around the box rather than just hitting the bastard ball. No world class striker will change it if they're being told to do the same.

We're literally trying to do the old Arsenal cliche and walk it into the back of the net.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more, for me our best two offensive players put them in their correct positions and they should do damage.

Yep. Knowing LVG, it will probably take him a good few months to work out that Mata should be playing No10 and Herrera should be in the lineup.

I just don't understand why LVG is obsessed with having a "second striker" in the No10 position, instead of just playing Mata there. He over-thinks things way too much. Januzaj is too raw to be playing there right now, he looks more comfortable on the wing where his pace can help him beat players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Case in point - last minute of the game - we should be going hell for leather to smash it into the box. What did we do?

There's signs of the same in the game too. Far too many times we keep passing it around the box rather than just hitting the bastard ball. No world class striker will change it if they're being told to do the same.

We're literally trying to do the old Arsenal cliche and walk it into the back of the net.

I agree that it was very strange to see us just passing it back and forth like we had already settled for a point, when we could have trusted to go a bit more up the pitch quicker.

If we keep this up, them whilst being very hard to beat, we will also not score too many goals.

Certainly the days of high scoring games, and trying to get close to our own record win v Ipswich, seem to be dead right now.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Obviously you want the best players playing but the tactics and mentality are dictated by the manager and today was another example of the struggle that seems to cause. That's not down to changing one striker, although it's easy to jump on the bandwagon and not look any deeper of course.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Swansea away next in the league, and that will be a very tough game indeed, that game does worry me, as they have looked good so far this season.

If we play like today, plus a bit more commitment, we should beat Swansea. Everyone's understandably annnoyed that we failed to score (but only through a very harsh offside decision and a post) but we played better IMO than against Villa or Spurs. You can't always judge progress by the match scores.

And what everyone seems to have missed is that there is a far more important game coming up on Wednesday against Brugge. Inevitably, some of the players will have held a tiny bit back when it came to the crunch to ensure they stay fit for then. I know professionals ideally shouldn't do that but the fact is that they do.

So I'm not joining the gloom and despair being posted by some of the fans and one or two pundits today, I'm disappointed with the result but I can live with the performance given what's coming up.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zlat would be in double figures by now! Louis Louis sign him up!
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zlat would be in double figures by now! Louis Louis sign him up!

Or he'd have kickboxed someone in the face through sheer frustration at being told to pass aimlessly outside the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the upcoming second leg, will be a very tricky tie indeed, but I would still be hugely disappointed if we did not progress to Thursday's draw, especially being two goals up before the match starts.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

Me and my daughter were screaming our heads off at the last 10 seconds, why would you start keep ball with seconds left rather than punting it in the box and see what happens. Fellani would have made a difference at the end but i agree with this passing the ball on the edge rather than someone hitting it. Herrera needs to be included in games for this reason.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member

Looks like they're gonna have to re-do this IT Crowd scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKHyqjHqQLU
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Me and my daughter were screaming our heads off at the last 10 seconds, why would you start keep ball with seconds left rather than punting it in the box and see what happens. Fellani would have made a difference at the end but i agree with this passing the ball on the edge rather than someone hitting it. Herrera needs to be included in games for this reason.

Fellani scored within ten minutes of coming on against Brugge. Rooney hasn't scored since the Spurs game last season.

Fellani and Herrera should start next game. Afro man should start as a second striker. He can't be as shit as Rooney.

Fergie saw it coming and now we're stuck with a captain who's as good as useless.

I wonder what excuses his mate will be coming up with on Monday night for his form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question, why is Harry Kane not getting anywhere near the same level of questions being asked about his scoring record as Rooney is?
    According to the stats people, he hasn't scored in his last 688 mind of Premier League football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question, why is Harry Kane not getting anywhere near the same level of questions being asked about his scoring record as Rooney is?
    According to the stats people, he hasn't scored in his last 688 mind of Premier League football.

Probably because he's not captain for both his club and country and taking home over two hundred grand a week in wages.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Rooney Bashing has started to gather pace I see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the Rooney Bashing has started to gather pace I see.

Here's not scored since Spurs last season. Falcao and Robin have been shown the door.

He's not playing in the midfield anymore. If other players aren't performing they will quite rightly be criticised,Rooney doesn't get a free pass just because he's captain.

He's been bloody awful and has managed to fly under the radar for far too long.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member

Do you really need explaining why the expectations between the two players is different? Plus despite being in a bit of a dry patch, Harry Kane's form hasn't been all that bad, unlike Rooney's.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Here's not scored since Spurs last season. Falcao and Robin have been shown the door.

He's not playing in the midfield anymore. If other players aren't performing they will quite rightly be criticised,Rooney doesn't get a free pass just because he's captain.

He's been bloody awful and has managed to fly under the radar for far too long.

I would not be surprised if rooney has a bad season to see him sold next summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if rooney has a bad season to see him sold next summer.

The problem is his wages. Nani and Robin went for small fees in honesty, I think their wages were a stumbling block for potential buyers.

His new contract has left us with an almighty headache should we try to move him on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney will not break Bobby Charlton 's record this season.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stop clowning around, Batdude!
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Tough world as a Utd fan.
This discussion has been closed.