Options

January World Cup 2022?

Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Asian federation have advocated that FIFA move the Qatar World Cup to the winter months. They are right to do so and although there will be a lot of bluster from FIFA they will eventually cave in and agree. A January world cup should not cause insurmountable disruption and will even have benefits for lower league clubs.

The season would start two weeks earlier and the FA Cup 3rd round would be played in December. Christmas Day also falls on a Saturday in 2021 so December 28th would see the last round of Premier League and Championship fixtures but the lower leagues could continue and benefit from higher gates. Assuming the World Cup Final were no later than Sunday February 13th the season would resume with the FA Cup 4th round on February 19th. The league cup semis could exceptionally be played on neutral grounds to avoid two legs. The league cup final would be in late March and the season would end with the FA Cup Final possibly on the Saturday before the start of Wimbledon fortnight. There would be minimal disruption to the Champions league. The 2022-3 premier league season would not start until the end of August in order to ensure a decent break.

The clubs won't wear it? See what they think of the alternative - playing in Qatar in high summer.

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it would have been more simple to have not awared 2022 to Qatar? :eek:
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    They have got plenty of time to work out when it will be played. Mike Lee the guy behind the Qatar bid has said the tournament will not be moved from the usual slot. That was not a part of the presentation apparently.
  • Options
    thorvertonianthorvertonian Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All stadium are covered with air con?

It's possible!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All stadium are covered with air con?

It's possible!

I believe that to to be the case. Though I doubt the training facilities will have air con. Then the every day movement of the fans etc to consider in such a climate.
  • Options
    Tusk0312Tusk0312 Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

exactly.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do the FIFA Ex's care, hardly any of them will be alive by the time of this world cup, so as long as their bank balances have been topped up, then this is someone else's probelem, and not theirs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do the FIFA Ex's care, hardly any of them will be alive by the time of this world cup, so as long as their bank balances have been topped up, then this is someone else's probelem, and not theirs.

True enough. The awarding of a world cup 11 and a half years hence is quite frankly absurd anyway. Regardless of which country it is.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    I believe that to to be the case. Though I doubt the training facilities will have air con. Then the every day movement of the fans etc to consider in such a climate.

Training facilities and a number of other areas are in the plans. The climate is similar to Dubai, which is a popular holiday spot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you bid for the World Cup you do so on the basis that World Cup takes place in June/July. Qatar will not be an exception to this.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can sod off, do not mess with our league seasons.:mad::mad:
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Damn straight, I love the WC but not at the expence of major disruption to a league season, the things should go hand in hand like they do now.

Besides Qatar said they would air condition the stadiums to drop the temp by around 20c, it seems as soon as it was awarded that this talk has started...... why ? Was it all a load of bull ?

Its quite possible to air con a stadium as was proved in 2002 though that was enclosed, I dont see a problem with air con in an open stadium though.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why would they NEED to change the league system?

just play AROUND the proposed january world cup dates!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »

Would you care to explain this, as I don't understand what you mean?:confused:
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A January WC would be commercial suicide. The WC is synonimous with summer sports. Part of it's commercial allure is communial viewing of the matches either at fanfest venues or at pubs/clubs etc... I bet most of us have held or been to a BBQ or such like when England have had a game. A WC in cold, damp, dreary January would be very different. And yes, I know that's not true for everyone in the world but for the core audience of W. Europe and the USA it is the case. The WC is held in June & July. End of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »

completely agree with that - this idea might be fine for those countries that January falls in their own summer months or for the eastern european or scandanavian leagues the shut down during December and January but there is simply no way the major European leagues will agree to this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    A January WC would be commercial suicide. The WC is synonimous with summer sports. .

I dont think it would be too bad. We can still have BBQ's in the summer
  • Options
    MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »

Presumably that was a joke?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also a lot of transfer business done on the back of a World Cup. Deals done when performances are fresh in the memory. I wonder whether some of these deals would go ahead at all, four or five months later, when a bit more thought has gone into it. Or would the transfer window stay open longer?
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member

Thats what I was thinking - they'll need more than air-con, the tournament should be moved IMO - playing football in 40-50 degree heat is just mad, in fact its dangerous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem with having people vote on something that doesn't efect them in the slightest.
    All of the FIFA Ex co members are really old men, and they should not be deciding on something where they will most likely not be alive to see the results.

Only people who will be alive should be allowed to vote, not those that will be long gone, by the start of construction, nevermind the opening ceremony.

It is a farce from begining to the end really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Training facilities and a number of other areas are in the plans. The climate is similar to Dubai, which is a popular holiday spot.

Most holiday makers don't sneak in a quick 90 minutes of world class football into their day on the beach.
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can genuinely see some huge problems with this. To be honest, comparisons to a holiday destination are a tad facetious. It's like comparing playing at dangerously high altitude to people flying to Malaga during the easter break with the chavs with Easyjet at similar altitude.

There will be serious health issues and I wouldn't mind betting that more than one or two nations will refuse to take part for this reason.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking - they'll need more than air-con, the tournament should be moved IMO - playing football in 40-50 degree heat is just mad, in fact its dangerous.

Happened in1994 but was even worse there as they were not letting players take liquids during the match.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Most holiday makers don't sneak in a quick 90 minutes of world class football into their day on the beach.

And if it weren't for the fact that aircon for both stadiums and training facilities had already been mentioned, you'd have a hell of a point.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    On the other hand, God knows how the season would be changed if it was moved to January, it would mess the whole calendar right up.