Farmer evicts travellers from his land in under 3 hours

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
Forum Member
When Travellers arrived on Dave Dawsons farm he had a choice to make - Contact the authorities and wait weeks or months to obtain a court order to remove them or move them himself. Mr Dawson chose the latter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158840/Dave-Dawson-snapped-threatened-smash-travellers-caravans-BACKED-police.html?ICO=most_read_module

He said 'I just won’t tolerate it. It is my land. I bought it and I have worked hard for it. I called the police and told them I was going to get the digger and move them.

‘I didn’t care if they got squashed, flattened or left on their own, but one way or another I was going to get them off my land.

The police told me that once they are on the land they have rights. But what about my rights?

Dave was threatened with arrest but stood his ground and the travellers left of their own accord after 2 hours and 50 mins.

For the record i know their are many decent, law abiding members of the travelling community out there but it just amazes me how the wrong doers in a lot of these cases get all the rights and the victim gets very few.

I think there needs to be a much more common sense approach to law making surrounding these issuses, including Squatting, which is thankfully illegal here in Scotland

Comments

• Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    I like his style..
    I just won’t tolerate it. It is my land. I bought it and I have worked hard for it

Im not anti travellers but wonder how we can solve this issue do we hand over common land thats unused to them to make homes but how does that effect the people who have to rent/buy homes that the travellers are given free land etc, its a difficult one.
  • peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good for him. according to the article, the cheeky beggars broke off the lock on the access gate to his land and put their own on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    I like his style..

Im not anti travellers but wonder how we can solve this issue do we hand over common land thats unused to them to make homes but how does that effect the people who have to rent/buy homes that the travellers are given free land etc, its a difficult one.

I agree its a difficult issue, i think before there was a law banning travellers from occupying privately owned sites there should be sufficient provisions in place to ensure they had somewhere to go.

I think if local councils have unused land it should be sold to the travellers rather than given to them as i agree that its not right we have to pay rent or mortgage to live somewhere and they get it given to them.

I think the majority of travellers would welcome the opportuinty to buy their own land and obtain planning permission for x amount of plots on that site
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    travellers on a permanent plot of land always seems like a contradiction in terms to me. if these people do want to live in small communities but in their caravans, then that doesn't seem unreasonable to me. they can behave themselves and pay the requisite taxes though, like i have to do.
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Th efarmer is an arsehole - from the photos the land didn't seem to be particularly cultivated or productive so what would have been lost if a negotiated short stay had been negotiated?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    Th efarmer is an arsehole - from the photos the land didn't seem to be particularly cultivated or productive so what would have been lost if a negotiated short stay had been negotiated?

pehaps he just didn't want them there? fair enough. doesn't make him an arsehole.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So? It's his land. End of.
    Forum Member

imo its his land to do with as he pleases, like he said, he worked for it and bought it so as long as his land isnt causing problems for nearby properties then it up to him what he does with it.

That would be like someone owning an allotment that looks as if theres nothing growing there and me putting a bloody big shed on it and saying i know you own it but you werent growing anything so im going to put this shed here and use you land for as long as the law will let me which could be a long time, doesnt make sense to me.
  • WhothamanWhothaman Posts: 463
    Forum Member

It his land he can do what he wants with it. They have no right to break in and set up camp.
    "Negotiate a short stay"??? Don't make me laugh!!
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe he didn't want it to be a dump for human waste and rubbish? The council aren't going to come and clear it all up when it's private land.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what ? Its his to do as he wishes with and no one elses business at all . He might have plans , he might not , its his land so end of story .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member

Don't farmers quite often leave their land to rest or whatever the technical term is after a few seasons of work? To let the soil recover or something?

But yes, his land. Like saying that if I let my house go a bit grotty because I didn't have the money to keep it looking pristine, others should be able to live in it...
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You obviously have not had to suffer the consequences of traveller camps, otherwise you would not respond like this, unless you are one of the traveller scum.

What other group of people have so much protection and exemption from prosecution for causing criminal damage?

These people break down fences, rip out posts designed to prevent vehicles accessing land, fill in ditches and will do anything possible to gain access to land. once they are on the land they claim "human rights" and various other laws, which takes a long time to go through court to get a removal order.

After they have left the land owner is left with a huge clear up bill as piles of human waste and tons of fly tip piles to remove, not to mention the expenses to repair and replace the damaged fences etc.

The law should really be changed to allow police to remove these scum instantly without a court order. If I decided to drive onto someones land and camp on it I would be arrested and charged with criminal trespass and damage. The same should apply to travellers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owning land and keeping it private for no good reason other than owning it and not wanting others to benefit is a bigger moral crime than trespassing on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owning land and keeping it private for no good reason other than owning it and not wanting others to benefit is a bigger moral crime than trespassing on it.

do you allow all and sundry to use your garden?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From the article....

Perhaps if they had approached him and asked if they could stay he might have been happy to let them. However cutting through a metal gate and then putting their own lock on it suggests to me they had no intention of asking for him and at the very least they could possibly be guilty of trespass with intent to cause criminal damage.

Since when has standing up against people illegally entering his land, by breaking his property to do so, made someone like the farmer "an arsehole", to use your description?
  • Ghengis CanGhengis Can Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You do understand the concept of a fallow field? Or perhaps it's grazing land that is recovering. Farmers, to their regret, cannot 'use' every bit of land they own 100% of the time. And it's not going to recover if it's got 30 caravans on it, and assorted dogs, ponies, pickup trucks etc.
    Forum Member

I don't think the pictures in the article show a large enough area to judge the farmer on what he does on the land neither should he be judged, its his land.

So if youve got a spare room in you home would you let a homeless person live there because morally that would be a nice thing to do? Yes its your property but if you have an emty room your not using surely that could benefit someone.
    Forum Member

RUBBISH

he worked for it, its his land you have no right to tell him what he can and cant do with it and they have no right to break his gate and put their own lock on it, thats stealing thats a moral crime.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

moral crime is not a legal crime. Travellers get away with murder. THey break countless laws yet sit behind the "oh we are travellers we are allowed to do it" excuse.

If Travellers behaved themselves, cleared all their mess up and left the site exactly as they found it, so when they left you wouldn't even know they had been there, then land owners would be more willing to allow them to make camp for a week or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peon wrote: »
    do you allow all and sundry to use your garden?
    My garden is fully used and not merely the surroundings of my house for the sake of owning such.
    Forum Member
    My garden is fully used and not merely the surroundings of my house for the sake of owning such.

You are so wrong its not even funny. Hand your garden over to a travelling family if you feel they are so hard done by. As someone else pointed out do you understand farming? the concept of fallow land? and even if it wasnt fallow land or used for horse grazing its still his land to do as he sees fit and they were stealing it from him.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why didnt the travellers approach the farmer and try and negotiate a stay before occupying the land?

Also - you have no idea what the land was being used for - it could have been fallow land, set aside land for wildlife etc that could have been messed up by its occupation - not that it matters. Should somebody have the right to enter your home and live there whilst you are on holiday because you arent using it at the tome?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moral crime is not a legal crime. Travellers get away with murder. THey break countless laws yet sit behind the "oh we are travellers we are allowed to do it" excuse.

If Travellers behaved themselves, cleared all their mess up and left the site exactly as they found it, so when they left you wouldn't even know they had been there, then land owners would be more willing to allow them to make camp for a week or two.
    I have come across travellers who move on and you wouldn;t know they had ever been. I have also come across travellers who leave a site reminiscent of a post-apolcapyptic waste land. There are good and bad in any group - including farmers.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

May I congratulate you on such a successful attempt at getting people to bite.