The Risks Of Marriage

2»

Comments

• shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would he? He is not seeking work, so he is not entitled to any, rightly so.

So you keep him, you must have a good job.:)
  • smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    Didn't you once post that you discourage him from working so that he can't financially contribute at all? It's a massive risk for him to be kept thus. Your maintained independence comes at the cost of his, and his chance to asset build. I'm not knocking you, as you've obviously engineered your own security.
    reverse that :cool: doesn't that sound like many women who are house wives. Why all the concern when it's a man, surely if they split up he would just have to sort himself out and carry on with life like any brake up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    So you keep him, you must have a good job.:)

Not really, below average wage but we are happy, content. We are not into flashy things or holidays. We work well though:)
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnthraX_88 wrote: »
    I wanted to find out peoples views on whether the risk of a marriage ending in divorce makes it worth getting married at all, from a financial standpoint.

Members of my family and most of my friends disagree with my opinion on it. I know that whats right for me isnt right for others and vice - versa but i know that i will never want to get married for one reason - the risk.

Ive seen many people i know getting divorced or worse feeling trapped in an unhappy marriage fearing the financial consequences to them if they were to leave their spouse.

Personally i want to know that my money is my own and that when i am in a position to buy a house that it will be mine forever and there would be no chance anyone could take that away from me or force me to sell it following a marital breakdown.

Does anyone else think this way? I know there are legal and some tax benefits to being married but is it worth the risk if you divorced, especially if the home is jointly owned and there is joint bank accounts, joint credit commitments etc?

If money is what ticks your box, then you are right not to marry. What is your problem? It isn't compulsory. Many people live alone and are perfectly happy.
    Go for it.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iv'e know some people in happy long term relationships but never marriage. Two people should never be joined as one as we're all individuals. This marriage thing is a fairy tale and doesn't match up with reality. People put on an act of being in a happy marriage but the more they act the more creepy they are.

Oh, dear!
    You've never met a single solitary well married couple?
    You're moving in the wrong circles! Cast your net a bit woder - you'll see plenty of them.