Radio Times price increase

dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone else feeling a bit peeved about the recent increase of 20p on the RT?
I don't see how they can justify this huge rise,so I am trying out Total TV Guide,which is £1.10. and seems to have everything RT has,including radio info.I did write to them asking why they didn't impose a 5 or 10p rise instead,but they have not bothered to reply.

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The future of the Radio Times must be very doubtful, since it's competing both with newspapers and the online TV listings websites. Not surprisingly, it's losing circulation. A report from August 2012:

The Radio Times has shed around 60,000 copies in the first half of the year, while market leaders TV Choice and What's on TV drove further ahead of their nearest rivals.

The fact that it's produced in six different regional editions can't help either.

I used to buy the Radio Times every week, but I haven't bought it for years now — not even the Christmas edition. I do use the free Radio Times website, though.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to treat myself to the odd copy of Radio Times.

Never now though. They've priced themseles right out of the market.
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow people still buy paper magazines lol
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member

Yes I can't seem to concentrate with digital versions of papers and mags, it may be an age thing but i like to roll them up and read at leisure. I only get the RT at Christmas these days
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The radio times is not on a digital platform, so yes people still do.

Of course there is the Radio Times website but I like the articles in the Magazine.

I have a subscription with the radio times and I haven't had a price hike in years.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RT has many advantages over on-line guides.

Personally I like that they print the channel numbers, and +1 numbers and when a program is repeated. It's easy to flip between 2 or 3 pages to see the whole days viewing for virtually all channels which is not possible easily by scrolling on channel guides.

I use a highlighter pen to show what to set my PVRs to record. Conflicts are often easier to resolve manually with a paper copy.

Strangely, I didn't notice the 20p increase last week but my newsagent pointed it out in disparaging terms, as I paid, and wished me a Happy New Year.

Quite a hike indeed. Sadly I can't survive even with other guides, magazine or newspaper.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    There are loads of TV Guides out there now and most are cheaper and just as good. plus tvs have very good epg now
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've switched to Total TV Guide which I'm getting on OK with, but I tried this for a few weeks a couple of years ago and ended up going back. However I really don't like the way RT relegates daytime listings to the side of the page. If they sorted this I would probably return, but for now, Total TV Guide is keeping me going.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Good Lord!! Do people still buy this? :eek: :cool:
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the Radio Times is THE place to go for detailed tv listings - though I do wish they'd come out with a Freeview version, absent of all that satliite/satilite(?) stuff that just takes up space

also they should really add 2mins to ALL the BBC2 listing times cos they NEVER start on time, dammit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy the Sun newspaper and get the free TV guide from that.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    I buy the Sun newspaper and get the free TV guide from that.

same but as the paper is dearer on a Saturday, I'd call the tv guide cheap but not free!
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    I used to treat myself to the odd copy of Radio Times.

Never now though. They've priced themseles right out of the market.

I bought the Christmas one out of habit, never actually opened it.
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's so surprising? The Radio Times increases its price every year after the Christmas edition. I buy it for the radio section, if someone published a "true" Radio Times that is a journal dedicated solely to radio broadcasts I would certainly buy it. There is far too much in the RT that I have no interest whatsoever in particularly movies!
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought the RT religiously for about 7 years but am seriously thinking of packing it in. It's the only magazine I actually purchase but I was really annoyed last week as I had £3 in my purse and needed bog roll (£1.50) and thought, oh I'll get the RT at the same time...BAH! irritating stealth price rise alert. I bought the bumhole roll as it was slightly more urgent. The RT's been getting on my nerves a bit lately anyway, most of the big programme articles are on shows I'm not really interested in, I like the quizzes and the letters page but that's about it.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought What's On TV after years and years at Christmas this year. It was really helpful in plannnig my film watching schedule. About 15 years ago, we used to buy it every week.

Never bought the Radio Times as always thought it was too pricey and I only listen to the radio for music.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just discovered one of the disadvantages of not having Radio Times - none of the other magazines carry listings for BBC Parliament as far as I'm aware, and whilst this might not be much of a problem most of the time, they do occasionally have special programmes to commemorate anniversaries etc, and it's the sort of thing you can notice easily when glancing through a page of listings but are unlikely to pick up any other way.

I really would be sorry to miss some of these gems, which are infrequent but all the more valued for this reason. It's small things like this which forced me to abandon my previous boycott of Radio Times.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

watch out everyone - we have a high horse loose :rolleyes:
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Cant believe people still buy the RT. There are plenty of online sites as well as apps for Androind and iphones that you can use.

Its only a 20p rise, so hardly a massive increase.
    RT has many advantages over on-line guides.

Personally I like that they print the channel numbers, and +1 numbers and when a program is repeated. It's easy to flip between 2 or 3 pages to see the whole days viewing for virtually all channels which is not possible easily by scrolling on channel guides.

I use a highlighter pen to show what to set my PVRs to record. Conflicts are often easier to resolve manually with a paper copy.

Strangely, I didn't notice the 20p increase last week but my newsagent pointed it out in disparaging terms, as I paid, and wished me a Happy New Year.

Quite a hike indeed. Sadly I can't survive even with other guides, magazine or newspaper.

This to me seems a very laborious and awkward way to record stuff. I have a couple of apps on my tablet/phone. I get the listing for all channels, I click on a programme and a synopsis appears, I can see all other times the program is on. Also pressing the record button will add the program to my Sky PVR. No need to worry about channel numbers. Nothing can be simpler. I can also search for programs. Nothing is easier.

If you do have sky, try their listing site, as you can set a recording from their site. If you have a smart phone download the sky app. Not sure if virgin media have a similar app.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I don't think I've ever brought a TV guide, I've always just used the free ones you get in Saturday newspapers.
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer a TV guide in my hands rather than online, its easier to get around it. I wouldn't pay more than about 50p for one though. We did get one of the newspaper versions on a Saturday but don't always buy a paper these days but there are two or three available at about 50p that do the job, so why pay more?
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always preferred looking at a hard copy when reading TV listings.

I have bought the Radio Times regularly for about 11 years now, but it looks like I'm going to have to find a cheaper alternative. A 20 pence rise is just taking the rise.

Edited to add, just browsing about this and it seems the RT was sold in August to a private equity company. So that nails it for me. Off to find another listings mag!
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »

The fact that it's produced in six different regional editions can't help either.

I'm a subscriber. I enjoy the articles etc (even if it has dumbed down a bit recently). The big plus is that it DOES come in regional variations
    rbdcay wrote: »
    The radio times is not on a digital platform, so yes people still do.

It will come soon - paper only magazines will eventually die off. In fact the RadioTimes trialed an electronic (iPad) version for the Christmas edition this year. (it was a low key affair) but it was also free to subscribers.

And it was brilliant. Lots of interactive items - behind the scenes videos, promo clips etc

They are currently doing surveys to see what was good / bad about the magazine, presumably for a full weekly release
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I'm a subscriber. I enjoy the articles etc (even if it has dumbed down a bit recently). The big plus is that it DOES come in regional variations
    I'm sure that it's good from the reader's point of view, but what I meant was that producing and distributing the different regional versions probably adds to production costs and may make it less likely that the Radio Times will survive.

From Wikipedia:
    Radio Times was first issued on 28 September 1923, carrying details of BBC radio programmes (newspapers at the time boycotted radio listings, fearing that increased listenership might decrease their sales). It was at one time the magazine with the largest circulation in Europe.

Until deregulation of television listings in 1991, the Radio Times carried only broadcast programming listings for BBC channels, while the ITV-published magazine, TVTimes, carried only ITV and, from 1982, Channel 4 listings.Today both publications carry listings for all major terrestrial (analogue and digital), cable and satellite television channels in the United Kingdom.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Times

There was a time when some people bought both the Radio Times and the TV Times, but I don't think my family ever did, largely because my mother considered ITV a bit common. :D

Anyway, though it may once have been the magazine with the largest circulation in Europe, it seems that the Radio Times isn't even the TV listings magazine with the highest circulation in the UK, since it's outsold by both TV Choice and What's On TV. I'm relieved to see that one can still buy a leather cover for one's Radio Times, though:

http://shop.radiotimes.com/14/RadioTimes-Leather-covers.html

At least the country hasn't gone completely to the dogs just yet! :D
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how they've gone on so long, given every newspaper has an equivalent magazine at the weekend, and most have dailies every day of the week.