Options

Will someone ever break Cher's record?

SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
Forum Member
Cher still holds the record for being the oldest female artist to have a #1 single in the U.S. and the U.K. Do you think someone will break her record? I thought Madonna might have managed it, but I don't think she's going to now, her success on the singles chart seems to be well and truly over. Her last #1 single in the U.S. occurred way back in 2000 when she was 42 and 2008 in the UK when she was 49 whereas Cher was 51/52 when Believe was a hit.

Will Taylor Swift still be around in her fifties? Lady Gaga? Rihanna?

Comments

• Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless its something new and somewhat unique nope. I can't see it happening for Madonna, people just aren't buying her music anymore and she's become a real follower in terms of what she is releasing, she's no longer at the front of music she's always playing catch up.

In a Beyonce, Taylor, Katy, Nicki, RIhanna world its way more difficult for the older women to stay relevant.

Even a legend like Mariah with 18 #1s in the US is having trouble shifting records and she's not yet near the record breaking age Cher was.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debbie Harry as part of Blondie had a UK no.1 with Maria in 1999 at age 53.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Debbie Harry as part of Blondie had a UK no.1 with Maria in 1999 at age 53.

So she has the UK record while Cher holds the U.S. record. I remember prior to Cher getting the record it was previously held by Grace Slick from Starship who was 47 when Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now got to No.1 in 1987 so female singers as part of a group counted previously.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not going to happen ever again I think, the majority of the record buying public are now so fickle and disloyal that they drop an artist at the drop of a stone.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not from a conventional pop star, maybe a one hit wonder as a gimmic Xmas number 1 but other then that no
  • Options
    Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »
    Cher still holds the record for being the oldest female artist to have a #1 single in the U.S. and the U.K. Do you think someone will break her record? I thought Madonna might have managed it, but I don't think she's going to now, her success on the singles chart seems to be well and truly over. Her last #1 single in the U.S. occurred way back in 2000 when she was 42 and 2008 in the UK when she was 49 whereas Cher was 51/52 when Believe was a hit.

Will Taylor Swift still be around in her fifties? Lady Gaga? Rihanna?

Cher benefited from the record/cd buying public. In today's market it is about streaming and playlists and other forms.
    If the top 100 was available on cd single still i think many of the traditional artists would still make the top 40
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    The way the music industry has changed, I think the only way a female artist over 50 could get close to #1 in the UK charts is by featuring on a big dance track.

Music trends go in cycles though so in a couple of years from now there could well be an older female artist scoring a massive #1 in the charts. It could happen but I'm doubtful.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it just takes someone to die or a charity or novelty single or some tv promoted gameshow crap like shitefactor or britains got no talent and the record can be broken again

most people wouldn't care though
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher also holds the record for the biggest gap between No1 singles, from I Got You Babe in August 1965 until The Shoop Shoop Song in May 1991, almost 26 years. I have a feeling she also holds the record for the longest span from first to last No1 hit, from I Got You Babe to Believe in December 1998, a span of more than 33 years.

52 is very young really to be a mature chart topper. It's a full 40 years younger than Vera Lynn who was 92 when No1 in the album chart in 2009.

So Cher is quite a record breaker all round, but I'm sure with people in their fifties and sixties getting younger all the time we will get men and women hitting the top spot at some point who beat Cher, who back in the 1980's looked a washed up singer from the past unlikely to have any more chart action, yet had a string of hits more prolific than previously after the late 80's, and two million selling, long running No1 hits. You can never tell what is around the corner.
  • Options
    Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Cher also holds the record for the biggest gap between No1 singles, from I Got You Babe in August 1965 until The Shoop Shoop Song in May 1991, almost 26 years. I have a feeling she also holds the record for the longest span from first to last No1 hit, from I Got You Babe to Believe in December 1998, a span of more than 33 years.

52 is very young really to be a mature chart topper. It's a full 40 years younger than Vera Lynn who was 92 when No1 in the album chart in 2009.

So Cher is quite a record breaker all round, but I'm sure with people in their fifties and sixties getting younger all the time we will get men and women hitting the top spot at some point who beat Cher, who back in the 1980's looked a washed up singer from the past unlikely to have any more chart action, yet had a string of hits more prolific than previously after the late 80's, and two million selling, long running No1 hits. You can never tell what is around the corner.

For a woman, I think so - but Tom Jones' gap is bigger between The Green Green Grass of Home in 1966 and Islands in the Stream in 2009...

I'd like to think that Cher's age record could be broken, but, I feel it is impossible now. The way the charts are formed with stream plays and the sexist, ageist radio broadcasters I think this record will hold. I adore them both but madonna and kylie have no chance and in 30 years, I don't see Rihanna, Katy perry, Taylor swift or any current 'young' female artist still hitting the top. It's just the way things r now :(