People dying on Live TV

Comments

• ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Cajone1963 wrote: »
    That clip seems not to be genuine as it looks like the scene from a game.

Which is eluded to in the description of the video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    jigsawjake wrote: »
    i dont know about revelling in it, both challenger and bradford i saw on tv at the time, i cant see what is so terrible in giving someone a link to see what the discussion is about, although those who wish to see the decapitations and news suicide, i;m not watching with you.Others may want to try to understand it in some way.

Was that to me? Because I agree with you in the first place. I was saying that no one actually enjoys any of these deaths/events!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Chris_71 wrote: »
    I agree.

There's events that provide education, such as the loss of Shuttle Challenger, because it's a reminder that this is - to quote NASA boss Mike Griffin last year "the hardest thing humans have yet learned how to do".

There's six Shuttle launches - including the flagship mission by Shuttle Atlantis to save Hubble (STS-125) - in 2008 ( www.nasaspaceflight.com ) Each one is damn dangerous. There's nothing routine about it. Seven souls are strapped into an amazing, but danagerous, vehicle that is flying herself during launch, powered first stage flight of 44 million horsepower, and any number of millions of things have to work, or they'll die.

To respect this, people need to learn about when it does go wrong, because you then have more respect for when (over 100 times) it goes right.

Very true. A lot was learned from the Challenger disaster. It was a VERY harsh lesson though.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_71 wrote: »
    Each one is damn dangerous. There's nothing routine about it. Seven souls are strapped into an amazing, but dangerous, vehicle that is flying herself during launch, powered first stage flight of 44 million horsepower, and any number of millions of things have to work, or they'll die.

I think Virgil "Gus" Grissom explained it perfectly, when he made the following statement, less than two years before he perished in the Apollo 1 fire.

"If we die, we want people to accept it. We are in a risky business and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I was watching the variety performance when Tommy Cooper collapsed; he just keeled over then started making funny noises. The audience were laughing but it was obvious something was wrong as the curtain suddenly came down and they cut to an advert break :(

Also remember the Bradford fire - thought watching the video again I was shocked at how quickly the fire spread. (There was a picture on the front page of the paper the following day of a policeman with his hair on fire staggering from the stand, though I think he lived to tell the tale).

Also remember seeing the shuttle disaster on Newsround (I think they actually broke the story) and the crowds of people just standing silently as the shuttle broke up. They showed footage of Christa McAuliffe's class watching it on TV - IIRC the teachers switched the TV off and tried to make out it was some kind of special effect :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that to me? Because I agree with you in the first place. I was saying that no one actually enjoys any of these deaths/events!

no madge, it was to fosdyk, who was sayig that people took pleasure in their viewing of these things.
  • sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought this thread would still be going.

Live TV is a great thing, but a shame that these things happen on it.

but you have to admit, if there was a live execution or the genuine possibility of some danger, there would be a high number of viewers
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always remember watching the show when Tommy Cooper died but I missed his collapse because I'd switched off by then.:rolleyes::(
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also remember seeing the video clip on the news I think of Marc Vivien Foe's death. Still sends shivers down my spine remembering it. Slightly O/T but I read on imdb that Leonard Rossiter died from a heart attack in his dressing room :(
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    TMLS wrote: »
    I was actually shown the video as part of a health and safety "what they did wrong" course. So it's out there wtih good applications, and as a football fan I found it terribly shocking.

Me too! It was shown in whole as part of a health and safety fire procedure training video by the Fire Brigade when I worked at the BBC World Service in 1996. Very traumatic.
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Add me to the "saw the Bradford fire at a H&S course" crowd.

That's the only allowable and licensed use of the original Yorkshire Television footage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    sgt.cryer wrote: »
    but you have to admit, if there was a live execution or the genuine possibility of some danger, there would be a high number of viewers

Speaking of which, wasn't the execution of Nicolae Ceaucescu broadcast on TV? On christmas day I believe, which must have helped the turkey dinner go down well ;)
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I know its a bit out of date but I'm recalling seeing footage of JFK being shot thru the head whilst a passenger sitting next to Jackie in the open top limo, it must have been on live broadcast?

Plus I know Elvis dint die live on stage but he was in performance I think?
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IPlus I know Elvis dint die live on stage but he was in performance I think?
    He was on the toilet (if you can call that a performance).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    I know its a bit out of date but I'm recalling seeing footage of JFK being shot thru the head whilst a passenger sitting next to Jackie in the open top limo, it must have been on live broadcast?

Plus I know Elvis dint die live on stage but he was in performance I think?

As mentioned earlier, the only footage of the JFK assassination was a home movie shot by Abraham Zapruder.

Elvis wasn't on stage either - he died in Graceland (on the toilet).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a shame they dont have the footage from just before the fire starts, where the commentator just doesn't notice the fire for ages.
    I did notice that this was edited out. It's a shame as the removal of the run up probably indicates the motivation of the poster of the clip was simply "to get to the action", which is not something I care for.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Speaking of which, wasn't the execution of Nicolae Ceaucescu broadcast on TV? On christmas day I believe, which must have helped the turkey dinner go down well ;)

One of my earliest memories was of this guy and his wife being led out to face the firing squad and although I can't remember if I saw the actual executions, or if this was on TV live, it disturbed me for ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rachel2006 wrote: »
    Not surprising from a bunch of morons. Their behaviour was appalling. :mad:
    In their defense, I suspect the majority did not realize that people were dieing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fosdyke wrote: »
    Will you all stop wallowing in this? Several people have given links for the Bradford fire and Challenger, and many of you seem to have watched them just so that you can say "ooh wasn't it awful".
    Most posts seem to enjoy the vicarious pleasure of discussing other peoples tragedies.
    Grow up and get over it.
    As someone who posted a clip with an accompanying "ooh wasn't it awful", I take exception to your conclusion ....... but I think you are right to post your concerns. Without doubt it is used as an excuse, and its pretty sickening to see people use it when their real motivation simply getting kicks out of seeing some one die.

If the Bradford fire clip had been full of people burning to death, I would not have posted it. Neither would I have posted it if the commentary had been removed.

Of course I have no way of backing this up other than reference to 8,000 odd posts which contains not a single one indicating that seeing people die is "entertaining".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    Darklight wrote: »
    As someone who posted a clip with an accompanying "ooh wasn't it awful", I take exception to your conclusion ....... but I think you are right to post your concerns. Without doubt it is used as an excuse, and its pretty sickening to see people use it when their real motivation simply getting kicks out of seeing some one die.

If the Bradford fire clip had been full of people burning to death, I would not have posted it. Neither would I have posted it if the commentary had been removed.

Of course I have no way of backing this up other than reference to 8,000 odd posts which contains not a single one indicating that seeing people die is "entertaining".

When it comes down to it, you do seem to be agreeing with me that many seem to get kicks out of watching these links.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you refer to 8,000 posts though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fosdyke wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you refer to 8,000 posts though.

I think Darklight is referring to the fact he/she has more than 8,000 posts to their name on DS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    no madge, it was to fosdyk, who was sayig that people took pleasure in their viewing of these things.

I didn't direct my comments to any one person. It did seem to me that there were several posts which seemed to take a ghoulish pleasure from these clips - any one of you could have had this happen to you or your families.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Elvis wasn't on stage either - he died in Graceland (on the toilet).

Actually that is an enduring and unproven myth. Elvis was found lying on his bathroom floor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kipster wrote: »
    Wish I hadn't....

I've just googled that - how horrific:cry:
  • ollie_collie_c Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    booklover wrote: »
    I've just googled that - how horrific:cry:

OMG, that was awful :(:cry: